[AppleTV1] Another brick?
I've been using XBMC over 2.4 firmware with a CrystalHD card, connected to a LCD TV over HDMI, for over a year now. Earlier today, the unit stopped responding to the remote. I tried SSH'ing in but to no avail so I physically unplugged the power cord. On plugging it back again, all I get is an orange blinking front LED and the disk spinning up but not any head seeks or other activity and nothing on the screen. I've tried switching to component video but no luck. Also, holding down Menu and "-" while powering on hasn't achieved anything either.

The router does not indicate that the ATV has been requesting a DHCP lease. I tried pinging the last known IP address but there is no response.

From reading some of the other posts, one thing to try is to boot from USB with a modified patchstick that seems to require a Mac which I don't have.

Between the symptoms described and the absence of a Mac, is the unit now truly bricked?

Thanks.
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
if you google this you will get some answers. The best scenario is the harddrive has gone - which you could probably test by taking it out and plugging it into something else otherwise it is some other hardware issue which is probably not economic to fix
unmesh Wrote:From reading some of the other posts, one thing to try is to boot from USB with a modified patchstick that seems to require a Mac which I don't have.

Thanks.

You don't need a Mac to make a patchstick. See here;

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/...stickGuide

Alternatively, you can make a Linux patchstick, which will boot even if your hard drive is toast / completely removed;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86108

For the purposes of testing your ATV, you can ignore the parts about copying Linux to the internal hard drive, and just test out if it boots from USB to see if you have a hard drive problem, or other.
Thanks for the advice.

I made both the patchsticks but neither will boot.

I also tried them with the internal hard drive physically unplugged with the same results.

It is of course possible that the patchsticks were made incorrectly since I have no way of using them on another ATV. On a Linux system, their filesystems do show up so it's unlikely that is the problem.

Time to buy an ATV2 Smile
Fire TV Stick, Xiaomi Mi Box, Tanix TX3 Mini (S905W), Fire TV with 4K, Apple TV 4K, Tanix TX3 (S905X3)
Just thought I'd add a note that the unit is sitting there drawing the same power with the blinking orange LED as when it was at the finder prompt.

Maybe there is a chance to recover it?
Hard to say...

It's pretty hard to mess up the patchstick creator, although some brands up USB stick aren't bootable. Try another USB stick (at least 8GB if you're going to try the Linux image).

Try swapping Component for HDMI or vice versa.

Past that - you may be SOL.
try the apple tv hard disk in another computer see if it is recognized. if it is then perhaps the issues lies with a corruption of your existing apple tv setup. perhaps you could download the original apple tv iso image and restore to defaults.

Maybe a friend who has an appletv will allow you to try your drive in his or his drive in yours to be sure.
I will try the suggestions this weekend but am willing to buy the ATV2 as soon as a PC based jailbreak is available for the latest firmware. Tethered is OK since I have a netbook that I can leave under the ATV2 for now.
unmesh Wrote:I will try the suggestions this weekend but am willing to buy the ATV2 as soon as a PC based jailbreak is available for the latest firmware. Tethered is OK since I have a netbook that I can leave under the ATV2 for now.

Tethered does not mean it has to stay connected. Once booted, you can disconnect USB.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] Another brick?0