How long does it take for new content to show in library?
On ATV2, how long should it take between putting a file in the source folder, and being able to see it in the XBMC library?

It seems to be taking quite a while on mine, 2 hours plus. I've tried telling it to scan for new content, then update library manually, but it still doesn't show. I've also tried quitting and reloading XBMC.

It will show up eventually, but that can be quite annoying when you want to watch something straight away. Am I doing something wrong?
It's taking a long time for me for the library to update as well, but not 2 hours. Do you have a really large library?
Just to set things straight. To keep it simple, XBMC has two modes. You can basically browse your media source in Library mode or non-Library mode.

A movie does not need to be scraped and added to the Library in order for you to play it.

You can simply go to the Video section and you should see your movie files as they exist on your network share. Just make sure the "Library" toggle isn't enable.

Adding a new movie to your network share and manually telling XBMC to search for new content should take no more than a few seconds for XBMC to find your new movie. It spends perhaps another 30secs actually downloading the thumbnails, fanart and info for the new movie it finds. If it's taking any longer than that, there is a problem somwhere.

You can always view your xbmc.log file to see what's going on.
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/xbmc.log
jetshred Wrote:It's taking a long time for me for the library to update as well, but not 2 hours. Do you have a really large library?

It's not that large I don't think, less than 1TB.

dazex Wrote:Just to set things straight. To keep it simple, XBMC has two modes. You can basically browse your media source in Library mode or non-Library mode.

A movie does not need to be scraped and added to the Library in order for you to play it.

You can simply go to the Video section and you should see your movie files as they exist on your network share. Just make sure the "Library" toggle isn't enable.

Adding a new movie to your network share and manually telling XBMC to search for new content should take no more than a few seconds for XBMC to find your new movie. It spends perhaps another 30secs actually downloading the thumbnails, fanart and info for the new movie it finds. If it's taking any longer than that, there is a problem somwhere.

You can always view your xbmc.log file to see what's going on.
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/xbmc.log

Yeah sorry I should make it clear I'm talking about in both modes. Movies I'm adding to the source folder aren't showing up in the file view mode immediately, even after I manually scan for new content.

Once the file is showing in there it seems to be very quick to scrape and add to library.

Just wondered if anyone else was having this issue, or that there was some setting I needed to change.

I will have another go when I get home tonight and have a look at the log file if there's still a problem. Thanks.
ok, that's odd that you're having issues in the Video files mode. On my network, as soon as I drop a new movie on my network share, that movie file shows up on all my XBMC boxes right away. Never see any delay.

Hope that helps.
Yeah, thats what I would expect to happen. If anything I would expect the scraping part to take a while.

For one TV show, it is correctly scraping and downloading the info (presumably based on the folder name), but the file itself isn't showing up in file view mode. So XBMC can see the folder, but not the file.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to have another look tonight.
Ok I looked at this again last night. The file is still not showing up even in file view mode. The folder is there, but when I go into it there's nothing there. I can see it on the Xbox (using TVersity) and on the XBMC installation on the PC, just not on the ATV. As far as I can see this is the only file it is doing this for.

If it's of any relevance the video is Onion News Network Episode 1 and it's a .avi file.

Any help is appreciated!
It took me about 3hours to load my entire library and source all metadata/artwork first time around on the ATV2.

600+ movies and around 300 TV episodes.
Just bumping this thread as I am still having this issue.

I add files to the source folder on the PC, but they still don't show in the file view mode on XBMC. I've tried 'scan for new content' and removing then re-adding the source, but the new files still don't show up.

Quite annoying when I want to watch a new episode of something which has downloaded that day :/
Mhhhh...

what settings did you use when adding the source ?
Did you add it right as a tv show ?
In scraper options (in the window when choosing the file type) you can set if tv shows are scaped in dvd or file order:

JUST LET BOTH OPTIONS UNCHECKED.

this has done it for me when the files were not showing up...
Yeah I added it as a tv show.

Not sure about the other scraper settings you mention. Surely that shouldn't make any difference to the file view mode though?
mhhh, shouldn't...

are you connecting through smb ?
what release are you using ? nightly builds or the first one ?
how are you connecting ?
Should be something in the settings because this is the first time I heard about that.
Yep smb, nightly build but from a few days ago maybe 28.1.

Connecting hardwired to pc then wireless to atv2.

I haven't come across anyone else with this problem either. Can't see anything in the settings that could make any difference at all?
do you have network access when using the original apple tv menu ?
E.G.: can you see the "in the movies" trailer when choosing movies in the menu ?

Have you tried rejailbreaking ?
Yeah there's no problem with network, can watch YouTube etc.

I've had to rejailbreak once but that didn't fix it. I'm going to use the untethered JB soon and reinstall, so maybe that will make a difference.

Stange that I'm the only one who seems to be having this problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How long does it take for new content to show in library?0