XBMC on iPad add USB as video source
Hi guys,

I really love having XBMC on my iPad as I finally don't have to convert and sync everything over iTunes anymore.

What I would like to do is to use a USB flash drive via the Camera Connection kit and video files from there. I know that I can open files from USB using iFile but it only gives me the option to open a mkv file using VLC but it doesn't work as good as XBMC.

Is there a way to add /var/mnt/mount1/ as a video source?
Maybe by editing a file somewhere in the XBMC.app or something?

I would really appreciate your help Smile

Thanks
kingboarder Wrote:Hi guys,

I really love having XBMC on my iPad as I finally don't have to convert and sync everything over iTunes anymore.

What I would like to do is to use a USB flash drive via the Camera Connection kit and video files from there. I know that I can open files from USB using iFile but it only gives me the option to open a mkv file using VLC but it doesn't work as good as XBMC.

Is there a way to add /var/mnt/mount1/ as a video source?
Maybe by editing a file somewhere in the XBMC.app or something?

I would really appreciate your help Smile

Thanks

find / -name sources.xml
Yes, this is very easy and works perfectly.

Using SSH or iFile, navigate to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/sources.xml

and add this code to the sources.xml file:

<source>
<name>iPad USB</name>
<path pathversion="1">/var/mnt/mount1/</path>
</source>
thank you soo much....that was exactly what I was looking for.
I was looking around for a sources file but could not find it

Thanks again Wink
Tried this and while the path was added, it cant read my powered WD 1TB HDD. Was able to read my 1GB thumb drive though. Would've been nice if it can read the HDD where most of my movies are.
trevor Wrote:Tried this and while the path was added, it cant read my powered WD 1TB HDD. Was able to read my 1GB thumb drive though. Would've been nice if it can read the HDD where most of my movies are.

Perhaps the filesystem format is different on your 1GB thumb drive vs your WD 1TB HDD.
I though USB drives didn't work anymore with iSO 4.2.1 ?
Most USB drives don't work under 4.2.1 (some without LED do), but in my experience, most SD cards do work. I've been using one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSDPH-004...B000UZJ0O2

It's convenient since I don't need a separate adapter or SD slot to plug it into a computer.

The other trick that works, is that some hubs can be placed in the chain (even unpowered), and they will allow USB flash drives and audio interfaces to work under 4.2.1. They need to report themselves as powered hubs, and the overall power draw needs to be 100ma or less for this to work, so you can't take a giant USB hard drive and expect it to work this way. But I've had success with the YETI microphone, M-audio MobilePre, and pretty much all USB flash drives, without using external power, by placing a Belkin Desktop Hub (F4U016) in the chain.
Just an fyi. Apparently the ipad can only read FAT32 and HFS+ formatted disks.

My 32gb FAT32 thumb drive works fine and I've been able to watch movies off it, but my 32gb NTFS thumb drive did not work.
verified. you can manually add the path "/var/mnt". Just touch the path <None> in the 'Add Video Source' and type it in.
yep, 99% of USB powered devices either work badly or not at all since OS4, therefore external HD are not really an XBMC issue more an OS issue. But SD Cards and what not work fine with the details above.
davilla Wrote:verified. you can manually add the path "/var/mnt". Just touch the path <None> in the 'Add Video Source' and type it in.

awesome. will try this one out later.
I use my old iPod-Video 80GB with XBMC on my iPad.
It works great vor me, the Batterylife ist not good at all, but a new Battery costs only a few bucks
Realy cool stuff here!

SL Daniel...
Now that the Camera Kit issue is fixed with the iPad 2 jailbreak, I'm happy to report that this trick works once again! Since Apple has limited the power draw on the port, not too many thumb drives work, so I've switched over to using a 32GB SD card.

This is more compact anyway, and it's fast as blazes, allowing me to avoid having to copy movies to the iPad altogether. Love it!
For me it doesn't work well... 720p - 1080p mkv doesn't played so smooth and .mts - .m2ts files from my sony camera crashed XBMC (from sd card) !!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on iPad add USB as video source0