• 6(current)
Removal of Files views - need skinner comments
Last build for Windows on there is the 8th. Rolleyes

Come back nightlies!
Hitcher Wrote:Last build for Windows on there is the 8th. Rolleyes

Come back nightlies!

Didn't notice. OSX and Linux are from 10/11.3.

But it's still one day newer (8 vs 7.3.) :p
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

jmarshall Wrote:EDIT: Ok, this is in master. What do you need to do?

1. Remove any library/files buttons in MyVideoNav.xml.
2. Move any files-specific views from MyVideoFiles.xml into MyVideoNav.xml if you like (most skins I see don't need to do anything here as they use includes for views).
3. Change any references to "VideoFiles" in ActivateWindow calls to ActivateWindow(Videos,Files[,return])
4. Change any references to "VideoLibrary" in ActivateWindow calls to ActivateWindow(Videos,<whatever you had before>)
5. Remove any label control (if you have it) for the "No information in the database" message.

MyVideoFiles.xml = MyVideo.xml (window name videofiles) I suppose?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

jmarshall Wrote:One thing I'm not sure about is the info retrieval is done in a background thread - it works quite well if you have a lot of items in a folder, but means that sorting or filtering doesn't work as we don't have the info to do it on dir listing. There's a couple of solutions to this - we could either grab the info for each item "in-line" which will slow down the directory listing (see files view in music with tag reading turned on), or could tell the view to refresh after we've got all the info, which will cause a "jarring" as the list re-sorts, or we could sort/filter as we go, which will cause items to disappear/reorder themselves, or something else entirely

I was thinking a bit about this. If you grab info in-line that will degrade user experience significantly. Furthermore, it would be probably even less bearable on systems like ATV2.

Background solution seams better to me but refreshing should be done without surprise factor involved, if possible.

How about Files "scraper"?

You add source and choose wether to a) use internet agents to scrape metadata or b) use local data.

a) you have possibility to choose metadata provider
b) data will be gathered from folders and/or extracted from files. Message pops up about possible performance penalty and another one, after process completed, asking user wether to refresh now or on restart.

If we wanted to take this one step further, there would be possibility to gather metadata from folders and files first with option to add only missing ones through internet metadata deamons.

Also, files "scraper" could be told to respect folder structure and make subcategories based on those - if media are in folders (movie name folders) and there is a folder between those and movie source being added ->

Movies / Kids / Cars (2000) / Cars720p.avi)

-> make subcategory ( Kids ).
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hitcher Wrote:Why would you even compile this branch then?
Had I know I wouldn't have.

jmarshall Wrote:@X3lectric: You've had well over a month to contribute to the discussion, so I'll ignore until actual problems are verified.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Well only noticed when it was introduced to master two days agoor a day ago and it broke the file view completely, I was unaware of this thread or what the changes would meant until I was pointed to here on IRC yesterday.

topfs2 Wrote:Using mainline means flux, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. If you want it stable and steady with no real changes use stable. Don't judge something until its finished. If you have constructive criticism then we are all ears.

I agree with you, this is what GIT was suppose to avoid in first place as I understood it as to Team XBMC OWN announcement., changes wouldn't be introduced half cocked, only when things were working reasonably well.

The only way I can get file view back is to delete all DB files manually over sftp/ssh this also massive problem cause there is no way to update new thumbs on new content without library being updated.

IF I cant give any criticism which is only viewed as negative by you, then what the point is asking for it, was there a time limit imposed?

What I learn from Team XBMC more and more is not to bother having any opinion or reporting bugs, essentially they get mostly ignored until year(s) later when then someone just goes closing them and marking them as invalid.

So Im sorry...., I wont bother in future with anything....
X3lectric Wrote:Well only noticed when it was introduced to master two days agoor a day ago and it broke the file view completely, I was unaware of this thread or what the changes would meant until I was pointed to here on IRC yesterday.
Its not destroyed, nor removed completely you go videos -> files and you have it....

X3lectric Wrote:I agree with you, this is what GIT was suppose to avoid in first place as I understood it as to Team XBMC OWN announcement., changes wouldn't be introduced half cocked, only when things were working reasonably well.

Mainline will not always be perfect, we have never said so. IT IS DEVELOPMENT for a reason, stables are branched out when we consider them so. And how in the world is this half-baked? It is working very well, it may have tweaks before we consider it stable and branch out a stable release, that goes for all code in mainline atm.

X3lectric Wrote:IF I cant give any criticism which is only viewed as negative by you, then what the point is asking for it, was there a time limit imposed?

What I learn from Team XBMC more and more is not to bother having any opinion or reporting bugs, essentially they get mostly ignored until year(s) later when then someone just goes closing them and marking them as invalid.

So Im sorry...., I wont bother in future with anything....

Please lookup, or ask a sane person, about what differs constructive criticism and just plain criticism and hopefully you will come to the conclusion that saying that something sucks without any, what so ever, suggestion how to change it is not constructive.

You have to understand that just becuase you make a feature request its not garantueed it will get implemented, your opinion is not necessarily that of the rest of the world...
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Anyone got an up-to-date build so I can start working with it please?
jmarshall: I've updated to f6de3f96018a2f9a4855cf1cbb400e3c974a462c but unfortunately USB drives are no longer displayed in Library - Files node, like they were in Videos - Files before the merge.

They are displayed in System - File manager just fine. Can you please fix this, it's really inconvenient to work with usb drives now. Sad
ezechiel1917 Wrote:jmarshall: I've updated to f6de3f96018a2f9a4855cf1cbb400e3c974a462c but unfortunately USB drives are no longer displayed in Library - Files node, like they were in Videos - Files before the merge.

They are displayed in System - File manager just fine. Can you please fix this, it's really inconvenient to work with usb drives now. Sad

You mean those that get auto sourced?

I think we should have them in a separate node actually, they should be easy to get to though.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I've never added them manually as sources, they always appeared automatically in Files after being mounted, then I selected Set content and scanned them to library.

EDIT: I would just like to see them anywhere in Library after this change Smile Better than adding dozens of usb drives as manual sources which doesn't make much sense if you can't really browse them if you have them most of the time disconnected.
Yup, thats the autosourced ones, personally I think they would fit better in videos -> portable devices or something similar to that, obviously any discussion regarding this is most welcomed.

I didn't intentionally disable the auto-sourcing. I do agree that they should be in there somewhere - where doesn't really matter to me all that much.

Please make a ticket with details of exactly how to reproduce (I presume just plugging in a USB stick?) and cc me + topfs2.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Ticket created: 11315

I also don't mind much where it's located, options are:
Library - Portable Devices - DISK1
quick access directly from main node, but if you want to jump to other sources, it's few clicks away
Library - Files - Portable Devices - DISK1
slick, but 1 more click to get there compared to old behaviour. Not sure if that's a big issue, but worth mentioning Wink
Library - Files - DISK1
maybe the old way is the best?
ezechiel1917 Wrote:Ticket created: 11315

I also don't mind much where it's located, options are:
Library - Portable Devices - DISK1
quick access directly from main node, but if you want to jump to other sources, it's few clicks away
Library - Files - Portable Devices - DISK1
slick, but 1 more click to get there compared to old behaviour. Not sure if that's a big issue, but worth mentioning Wink
Library - Files - DISK1
maybe the old way is the best?

This is minor, like you say, but I'd like to throw an enthusiastic vote in with topfs2's idea of having a Portable Devices node. I like using files mode, and it always seemed a bit cluttered to have a short list of drives show up on top even though their contents are also defined in the various sources below them on the list.

I've never let it bother me overmuch on account of seeing the necessity of it, but the additional click of having them nested in their own node seems a fair trade off for better organizational sense and less clutter overall....
Another regression that seems to have happened with this (maybe) is Container.Content(Addons) no longer works. Its used to be true if any list was full of addons (ie: the addon node of every window)

P.S. it used to work in every window (music, pitcures, programs.. etc) now it works in none so maybe it was the git move or someone else's merge that took it out
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Removal of Files views - need skinner comments0