• 1(current)
Removal of Files views - need skinner comments
Hi guys,

On my github, you'll find a files_in_lib branch which removes the use of MyVideo.xml, replacing it with a Files node in the root of the library. It also takes care of ActivateWindow(VideoFiles) etc. for you, and gives you a new ActivateWindow(Videos,Files) as the new one - see the confluence changes for instance - no need to specify the window as VideoLibrary anymore given there is only one.

What we have there is the first step. Features are:

1. Files node in library that lists the users' sources (i.e. basically replicates what was in the file view before).
2. Retrieval of video information for items in the files node listing that are also in the library - we also replace folders with their content as well.
3. We dump a "Add Videos..." item on root if the user has no sources.
4. You have a new directory vfs "sources://video/" to grab this node (not that that's much use to ya yet...)

Basically I'd like you to have a play around with it and see what you think. Find anything that's missing (eg context menu is a bloody mess) and what you think can be removed or improved etc - for instance, I may not have got all the cases for retrieval of file info from the library (stacks of video_ts folders maybe?). Sorting modes might be out (eg we could potentially use some of the library sorting modes if we have info available for items) as well. I have a further commit or two to go in which fixes the stacking button (id 7 needs adding to VideoNav.xml), and also fixes build on win32 and linux - I'll get those up there later today.

One thing I'm not sure about is the info retrieval is done in a background thread - it works quite well if you have a lot of items in a folder, but means that sorting or filtering doesn't work as we don't have the info to do it on dir listing. There's a couple of solutions to this - we could either grab the info for each item "in-line" which will slow down the directory listing (see files view in music with tag reading turned on), or could tell the view to refresh after we've got all the info, which will cause a "jarring" as the list re-sorts, or we could sort/filter as we go, which will cause items to disappear/reorder themselves, or something else entirely :p

Only once you're happy with it will I merge it to master. Once that's done I'll start on the music library for consistency then look to move on to allowing the video lib to be more customised (eg customise the heirarchy).

EDIT: Ok, this is in master. What do you need to do?

1. Remove any library/files buttons in MyVideosNav.xml.
2. Move any files-specific views from MyVideos.xml into MyVideosNav.xml if you like (most skins I see don't need to do anything here as they use includes for views) and delete MyVideos.xml
3. Change any references to "VideoFiles" in ActivateWindow calls to ActivateWindow(Videos,Files[,return])
4. Change any references to "VideoLibrary" in ActivateWindow calls to ActivateWindow(Videos,<whatever you had before>)
5. Remove any label control (if you have it) for the "No information in the database" message.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Interesting. Someone care to share a Windows build so I can test this out please?

Thanks.
I currently use File View/Mode for all my television and documentaries, as well as splitting up various other genres. My documentaries are separated into folders that are sort of like genres (science, history, geography, etc.). Most of my television shows are kept around only until I watch them, and then deleted, so I never add my tv files to the library because I don't want to have to delete them twice and also I don't want to deal with improperly scraped titles for tv. My movies are added to the library but my daughter knows she can watch anything under the File View and the source named "Family", it has every movie in it that she can watch, from Ghostbusters to Bambi, but there is no way to give her a "filtered" list of movies she can watch with the library view. In library mode it is all or nothing unless she wants to watch only "Animation or Family", those two genres are safe for a 6 year old, but my 13 year old gets a little more of a wider selection, but still not everything. I can't let her have full access, but can't let her be restricted to "Animation or Family". File mode is the only way to work around the library's shortcomings, it's pretty much up to me and how I build my folder structures.

Is the change you are talking about going to remove my ability to do any of the above?
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
I'd be thankfull for osx version.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

@MacGyver: no, you shouldn't lose any of that. Essentially at this point there (should be) no changes as far as the end user is concerned, other than they now have the library information magically there for files that are in their library. Please do try it out and let me know what you think.

@All - not sure how easy it is to get the buildbot to spit out builds from my branch - we're currently only just getting it up and running nicely for the 10.1 Dharma release, so it may take a little while. Given that my branch is likely to be a bit of a moving target (i.e. I'll be actively working on it over the next week or two) it may be an ideal time for you guys to grab the build tools - it's pretty easy to get builds up and running.

Also note: This updates your video database, so make sure you back it up first (I have another branch that'll alleviate this issue that's awaiting review).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

remove post, not relevant.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
MacGyver Wrote:I currently use File View/Mode for all my television and documentaries, as well as splitting up various other genres. My documentaries are separated into folders that are sort of like genres (science, history, geography, etc.). Most of my television shows are kept around only until I watch them, and then deleted, so I never add my tv files to the library because I don't want to have to delete them twice and also I don't want to deal with improperly scraped titles for tv. My movies are added to the library but my daughter knows she can watch anything under the File View and the source named "Family", it has every movie in it that she can watch, from Ghostbusters to Bambi, but there is no way to give her a "filtered" list of movies she can watch with the library view. In library mode it is all or nothing unless she wants to watch only "Animation or Family", those two genres are safe for a 6 year old, but my 13 year old gets a little more of a wider selection, but still not everything. I can't let her have full access, but can't let her be restricted to "Animation or Family". File mode is the only way to work around the library's shortcomings, it's pretty much up to me and how I build my folder structures.

Is the change you are talking about going to remove my ability to do any of the above?

If I'm reading it correctly, "Files Views" isn't deleted, it's just changing form. But it's a change that affects all of the skinners, hence it's in the skinning thread.

And you should really look into smart playlists. I have no clue how I let something slip under the radar from me for that long but @(#* it's powerful.

You could set up a playlist of all movies under PG-13 with rating 6.0 or higher and NOT a "Horror" movie and with most skins put it on the home screen as "Awesome Family Movies".
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
two things so far:
- clean up of file and folder names seems to be done after the list of videofiles has loaded.
- bring up the context menu on an item, close it and press back,
instead of going up one level, the list reloads
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
You guys really need to try it for yourself. Basically nothing should change from a users perspective, at least initially.

From a skinners perspective you no longer have to skin the MyVideos.xml window anymore, and you may have to skin MyVideoNav.xml slightly differently (though any changes should be simplifications).

The latter is what I'm wanting to discuss - obviously this requires you to try it out first Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

@ronie: the "cleanup" you're noticing is the loading of info from the db, which is threaded (same as thumbs are threaded), so yup.

Context menu thing sounds weird - will look into it.

Thanks,
Jonathan

3) listitem.label2 does not return any info (or bogus info, depending on sort method)

edit:
4) 'hide watched' button on the side menu doesn't work for videofiles
5) if possible, add 'mark as watched' to the context menu
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Regarding 3 - sort by date/size won't have anything due to that info not being available in the library item that supplants it. I'll change it to only copy the infotag + properties perhaps. Do you think the sort methods should use the movie etc. methods (i.e. basically provide available sort methods based on container.content?) or stick with sort by file/size/date.

4 is due to the delayed loading of info - not sure how best to handle it - see my earlier posts on possible options.

5 hmm, this was there but seems to have gone missing while attempting to get some other context stuff done :p

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:Do you think the sort methods should use the movie etc. methods (i.e. basically provide available sort methods based on container.content?) or stick with sort by file/size/date.

i'm not the one to comment on that.
try to get some input from users who actually ever use filemode. ;-)
darkscout, smart playlists are great, but they are missing a much needed variable to keep the playlists folder looking orderly.
<smartplaylist type="hidden"> or hidden-video or hidden=true
In order to AND and OR smartplaylists together you have to build some pretty useless intermediate ones, and those useless ones that were created just to merge conditions "ugly" up the playlists folder. I would need something like that to go from filemode to playlists.

I can't be the only one left here still using filemode, am I? What about people without 24/7 internet connections? Or gasp, 52kbps. dial up?
MacGyver Wrote:Or gasp, 52kbps. dial up?

That is, perhaps, the most depressing thing I have ever read.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Removal of Files views - need skinner comments0