Accessing Windows Shares on Apple TV 1st Gen
I am having an issue with finding any of my shares I am sharing from a Windows 7 x64 machine.

I am attempting to configure XBMC (and/or Boxee) on an Apple TV (first gen) that I purchased off someone. All is well, updated, and it is installed; however when attempting to add sources it doesn't find any of my Windows SMB's on the network. If I attempt to type it in (via hostname or IP) it says Operation Timed Out and gives me the option to "add it anyway" (but naturally can't do anything with it)

The workgroup in settings->Network is the same as my network (workgroup), which is also configured on my router (Not sure why that would matter, but I found it as a suggestion while searching this forum).

Password protected sharing is turned off, full permissions are granted to Everyone within Windows 7. My other Windows 7 machine can access the files just fine, so I know the sharing does work, but Apple TV sure doesn't see it.

(As a side note: I realize this is an XBMC forum, but I also installed Boxee on it. Boxee will find the hostnames when I attempt to add sources, but also will not connect. XBMC doesn't find host names at all,)

Thanks for the help. I have searched and searched this forum under many different criteria and have still came up with no solution. I am not a Mac-person, but pretty knowledgeable about Windows, so any assistance would be appreciated. Both drives I am sharing from (or attempting to) are NTFS, if that matters (I don't know how Mac plays with an NTFS formatting)

Edit: I did some more searching online and found that even with password protected shares off, you still need to supply XBMC a user/pass for it to work. Did so, and viola! Nerd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Accessing Windows Shares on Apple TV 1st Gen0