Having problem getting XBMC to recognize network drive on Airport Express
I have read the few posts I could find on network drives attached to an Airport Extreme but I still can't figure out my problem. I have a Drobo connected via USB to an Airport Express. I share the Drobo successfully with my Macbook, PC, and Popcorn Hour but can't get it to be recognized by XBMC.

I have tried to add the drive through Zeroconf (as shown in this post - http://tinyurl.com/45mbnu5) but when I click on the source (which is my Airport Extreme) nothing happens.

I also tried to add the drive manually as shown later in the post. When I add all the information and hit done, I get an Error - Operation timed out.

I'm not really sure what to try. Any ideas? Below is a screenshot of my Airport file sharing settings. I don't think it's a problem with the Airport as I already share it with multiple devices. I must be doing something wrong in XBMC.

You do not need the "Share Disks over WAN" for a local network, and you should probably set Guest Access to Read and Write (not likely that you will want to write to files via XBC).

That having been said, I never did have luck with zeroconfiguration browser (perhaps that feature works now). I simply typed in (in the Server Name field) smb://ip address/disk name/folder name.

Hope this helps.
Eric_S Wrote:You do not need the "Share Disks over WAN" for a local network, and you should probably set Guest Access to Read and Write (not likely that you will want to write to files via XBC).

That having been said, I never did have luck with zeroconfiguration browser (perhaps that feature works now). I simply typed in (in the Server Name field) smb://ip address/disk name/folder name.

Hope this helps.

I tried this but I'm still having problems. Below is what I entered:

smb://10.0.1.1/Drobo/MOVIES

10.0.1.1 is the IP address of my Airport Extreme, Drobo is the name of the network drive, and MOVIES is the folder where the videos are located. When I hit OK, I get - "Error - Operation not permitted". Then I get another error, "Remote share - Could not connect to the network server".

I know the Drobo is connected to the network because I can access it here with my Macbook and I'm able to connect with no problems.
Okay, now I got XBMC to recognize my drive. I had to add a username and password before the IP address.

smb://username: [email protected]/Drobo/MOVIES

But, I'm having issues with the videos playing correctly, so I guess I'll start another thread. Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Having problem getting XBMC to recognize network drive on Airport Express0