Does XBMC cache upnp:// directory listings
I'm using XBMC to browse PlayOn videos via the upnp:// protocol. Somtimes the content inside of the directories is not up to date. I'm trying to determine if this is a problem with PlayOn or with XBMC.

Does XBMC ever cache directory listings? And if so, is there any way to disable or tune the caching?

Thanks,
BradVido88
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
OK, so I've been able to answer my own question. I have seen that xbmc does cache the directory listing. I tested this by looking at the same directory before and after a restart of XBMC, noticing that after I restart, I get new content in my upnp:// listings from PlayOn.

I've searched the wiki and looked at all the advancedsettings.xml settings, but I have not seen any way to disable this.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Or any more details about if the cache expires after some time?
I do not want to have to restart XBMC every time I want to see new content.

Thanks,
BradVido
By the looks of it the caching is being done internally to the UPnP lib (platinum), as it specifically disables XBMC's caching stage.

I'll drop elupus a line and see whether he has any insights.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:By the looks of it the caching is being done internally to the UPnP lib (platinum), as it specifically disables XBMC's caching stage.

I'll drop elupus a line and see whether he has any insights.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan! It would make a lot of sense for XBMC not to cache these listings since they are updated very frequently.
It's done internally. And as far as i know it subscribes to a change notification from the UPnP server. So if it changes a container it is supposed to notify xbmc that this has happened.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

To clearify.. xbmc subscribes to a change notification in playon for a container it has listed. If this container changes, playon should notify us and we will evict the cache.

I don't think it's properly hooked up yet to actually refresh what is currently viewed.

elupus Wrote:To clearify.. xbmc subscribes to a change notification in playon for a container it has listed. If this container changes, playon should notify us and we will evict the cache.

I don't think it's properly hooked up yet to actually refresh what is currently viewed.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll have to do some more testing to determine if PlayOn and XBMC's UPNP library are playing nice with the notifications that the container changed.
I'd like to add to this thread and find out if there are any developments. I use a upnp server on my NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS Duo) mostly for pictures and music. I can also confirm that XBMC is not refreshing the directory listings for pictures after new pictures are added. Is there a way to force XBMC to reload the directory?
babaraccas Wrote:I'd like to add to this thread and find out if there are any developments. I use a upnp server on my NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS Duo) mostly for pictures and music. I can also confirm that XBMC is not refreshing the directory listings for pictures after new pictures are added. Is there a way to force XBMC to reload the directory?
The only way I've been able to clear the UPNP directory listing cache is to restart XBMC...
bradvido88 Wrote:The only way I've been able to clear the UPNP directory listing cache is to restart XBMC...

Yes, and it is very annoying... How do we fix this??

I need to restart XBMC every time I put new files in my directory. You can imagine the frustration.....

I do get a Cache Full message when doing a FFWD or REV in a movie, if that helps.
3 years later - I'm using Serviio as a DLNA server, and am having this exact same issue. Every time I add/move content, I have to go get my keyboard and exit/re-launch XMBC, or the changes won't show up. Pretty frustrating.

Edit:

More people with this issue:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=172134
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=116466

Some seem to say it's working, but I still can't find any way to refresh - and it's not auto-refreshing for me. I don't have this issue on my other dlna clients (Samsung TV).
I think there's some talk of replacing platinum (what we use for UPnP) with something else, as there are a couple of issues with it. The updating of UPnP listings even effects XBMC to XBMC UPnP sharing sometimes.

I wonder if some kind of force refresh action/button could be used in the short run, or if that would be too much work. Like you said, having to reboot XBMC/Kodi to refresh the listings is a pain in the butt :)
+1

Running Raspberry Pi with Kodi on one side with an Kodi main server with all the content and get the same behavior from the beginning that I had this setup.

Have been running like this for the last 3-4 years and it's the only pain I still have with UPnP and Kodi. Everything else work like a charm.

Have been thinking to look into the code to see if one can do a timer based refresh of the cache but juts haven't had time to do that.
I have the same issue with exactly the same setup: Kodi on Raspberry Pi as media center and a Serviio remote share. Changes on serviio are not reflected on Kodi. Nobody fixed this issue in 5 years?
2021 and the issue still persist.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does XBMC cache upnp:// directory listings0