Best Remote for Everything?
Looking for a good remote for XBMC that will also control my TV, Fios box, Av Reciever, etc. I basically want to take the 4 controllers that I have now and make them into 1. Also, what kind of ir dongle do I need for my HTPC so that it will be able to be controlled by <insert recommendation here> control?

Thanks!
Just one word. Harmony.
Its pricey but you get what you pay for.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Second on the Harmony. I have a Harmony One and absolutely adore it. I'd have to use half a dozen remotes without it.
htpc guy Wrote:Just one word. Harmony.
Its pricey but you get what you pay for.

Thanks, I'll look into it some more. When I did do a search, I came across many different Logitech remotes, do you recommend a specific one?
Harmony One. Awesome remote!
I've heard great things about the Harmony One. Sadly, I don't have one. I have a Harmony 550 which does everything I need rather well. Its just not as flashy. Also its a bit tricky to get a 550. Amazon still sells them but they are still pricey. At the retail price its actually better to go with the One. Sometimes they run a deal. I got mine for 50 bucks but it was a Black Friday deal so I don't think you want to wait that long. Ebay may be a good place to check.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
harmony one all the way....I had a harmony 880 (wife dropped it too much) prior to the 'one' Logitech makes great remotes.
I'd also recommend a One. I got mine for fairly cheap thanks to some Amazon credit, so that definitely helped. I love the charging cradle it comes with. Not only do I always know where it is, but I never have to worry about batteries!
Harmony 650. Best bang for the buck. Half the price of the Harmony One
Yeah I just got a Harmony 650 and for the price it's amazingly good - with a bit of custom tweaking (very easy on Openelec) - it is really all you need in a day to day remote...and if I want anything fancy and GUI (although I fail to see the point next to my 50" plasma) - I can just use my iPhone.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I have a Harmony 650 remote and I really like it. I am using an IR reciever from an old HP media center pc so that I can interface the remote with the pc. Good luck!
What do you guys think of the 610, I can get that one for about $47 including shipping. Get that or splurge for the 650?
Has anyone had the chance to compare the lag between 650 and One? It was unbearable with One, no matter what i did, so i ended up selling it.
toiva Wrote:Has anyone had the chance to compare the lag between 650 and One? It was unbearable with One, no matter what i did, so i ended up selling it.

you understand you can tweak all of those settings? you can tweak timings, delays, repeats...
masteroc Wrote:Looking for a good remote for XBMC that will also control my TV, Fios box, Av Reciever, etc. I basically want to take the 4 controllers that I have now and make them into 1. Also, what kind of ir dongle do I need for my HTPC so that it will be able to be controlled by <insert recommendation here> control?

Thanks!

Not sure if it was mentioned but Harmony remote is what you need. Get an MCE remote IR receiver such as the one by HP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Remote for Everything?0