[AppleTV2] Very slow UI
Guys,

My UI is really slow, i'm trying to find it whether it's my problem or it's normal for atv2. However, I saw a couple of movies on youtube and it seems to work faster for others.

One thing I can't understand is why atv is giving me only 1280x768 resolution, while pc gives 1920x1080 on the same receiver/tv. There is no option to select resolution neither in atv2 setup nor in xbmc.
30 AppleTV 38.8% 41:55.70 21 264 901 18796K 2208K 60M 313M

Is it normal, by the way?
the ATV is limited to 720p output, thats why you get 1280x768. there's nothing you can do about it (at the moment).

what version of XBMC are you using? and which skin? in the second release there has been a gui speedup, thats why am asking. but if you changed to a "heavy" skin, that might be the problem.
Maetrik Wrote:the ATV is limited to 720p output, thats why you get 1280x768. there's nothing you can do about it (at the moment).

what version of XBMC are you using? and which skin? in the second release there has been a gui speedup, thats why am asking. but if you changed to a "heavy" skin, that might be the problem.

Oh really, I thought that 720p is 1360x768 (hd ready), my mistake.

I'm using latest version (installed yesterday) with original preinstalled skin.

Quote:Starting XBMC, Platform: Mac OS X (10.4.0 AppleTV2,1). Built on Feb 19 2011 (Git:4b032be)

Also I don't understand how to use the apple remote, 2 buttons is definitely not enough. I tried used Remote by apple from iPod, it has the additional menu button but arrow keys aren't working in xbmc.
for the UI, i changed to alaska revisited and turned off fan-art and stuff (looks nice and clean now)... free memory is around 115mb - maybe you want to try that.

regarding the apple remote, when you press and hold the menu button, you will get the additional menu (for example to add new sources etc.). For me, it is enough for daily use.

Else you could pair a bluetooth keyboard to your atv, i did that for searching youtube etc. - works very nice with the installed BT Stack.
I wonder where the 720 comes from... maybe from 1280*720?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
xbs08 Wrote:I wonder where the 720 comes from... maybe from 1280*720?

exactly.
AngryFarmer Wrote:Also I don't understand how to use the apple remote, 2 buttons is definitely not enough. I tried used Remote by apple from iPod, it has the additional menu button but arrow keys aren't working in xbmc.

The Apple Remote app is very similar to the aluminum remote that comes with your ATV2.

Anyways, most of the functions of the Remote app are working in the latest nightly build of XBMC. You can wait till the next official release to look forward to that functionality.
Can you hold up/down to scroll with latest nighty?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

No.
(and I am not sure if it´ right in the wiki)
Quote:Apple Remote Button Translations (for use in keymap.xml):

* 1 Up
* 2 Down
* 3 Left
* 4 Right
* 5 Play
* 6 Menu
* 7 Hold Play
* 8 Hold Menu
* 9 Hold Left
* 10 Hold Right
* 11 Hold Left
* 12 Hold Right
... so what ID is hold up/down?
(btw. I tried 9-12)
freaksworth is not connected to or in any other way affiliated with XBMC, Team XBMC, or the XBMC Foundation.
There are only two hold buttons the ATV2 recognizes. That's menu and select/center button. All the other hold buttons are for compatibility with other OSX builds of XBMC. I've mapped out the BREvent and Apple remote doesn't return one for holding down any other buttons unfortunately.
dazex Wrote:There are only two hold buttons the ATV2 recognizes. That's menu and select/center button. All the other hold buttons are for compatibility with other OSX builds of XBMC. I've mapped out the BREvent and Apple remote doesn't return one for holding down any other buttons unfortunately.

Damn, this clik,click is driving me insane...

How are they doing it in Front RowHuh They use check no_key_pressed and if false assume you are still holding last pressed button, or what?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

It's definitely something that the devs will have to come up with a work around for. But they are all busy with the merge to main, which is a big undertaking at the moment.
As a workaround you can just click right to select the scroll bar. Scrolling through hundreds of movies becomes much faster Smile
Also if you are using the apple remote app to control xbmc while you can't select you can use the scrolling/gesture features to swipe through the list a little faster.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Very slow UI0