[MAC] Lock Settings screen comes up for a symbolic link
I was thinking about setting up my XBMC to use SMB instead of AFP. The main advantage of using SMB is that I don't have to first mount the drives to use them. My movies are stored on 2 2TB drives. I have a situation where I needed to create a symbolic link to a TV Series folder from one drive to the other. What this looks like is:

Code:
Drive1
   |
   +---- TV Series(n)

Drive2
  |
  +----- TV Shows
           |
           +---- TV Series(n) is a symbolic link to Drive1->TV Series(n)

I turned on "Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)" on the appropriate Mac computer. I also truned on shared folder for both Drive1 and Drive2. On the other Mac computer I added a network location that points to Drive1 and Drive2 in XBMC. When I attempt to add a video source from Drive2->TV Shows->TV Series(n) the Lock Settings screen comes up asking me for the username and password. If I do a add video source from Drive1->TV Series(n), no Lock Settings screen comes up.

Is there something I can change in one of the XBMC configuration files?

OSX Version 10.6.6
Platform 2009 17" 2.8GHz MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM
Install Method dmg
SVN Revision 35648
Skin Transparency!
I resolved this issue by moving around some data so that the TV shows in question are all on the same volume with the symbolic links.

One thing I have noticed about using SMB vs AFP is that SMB seems to be a lot slower. For instance, when I started a movie it took a lot longer to start then when I used AFP.

SMB has the advantage of not needing to pre-mount the network drives. Given the speed issue I think I will stick with AFP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Lock Settings screen comes up for a symbolic link0