[MAC] Accessing windows 7 share
OSX Version: 10.6.6
Platform: MacBook Pro
Install Method: dmg
SVN Revision: Git:ff701de (also tried with Dharma (10.0)

I’m unable to connect to network shares on a PC running Windows 7. The shares can be accessed in finder, and the pc shows up when I browse network locations when adding sources in XBMC. However, when I try to access it in XBMC, I keep getting asked to specify the login name and password. This keeps repeating, and it seems I’m unable to login no matter which user account I specify. The machine can be accessed by other computers running windows, including my mac when I bootcamp it.
What to do?

Full Debug log: http://pastebin.com/AVpJWYaF
Search the forums, the reason for this has been answered many, many times.

That said, once builds with the new osx build system start coming out, this issue should be resolved once and for all as these builds include an update to samba upstream that resolved the Win7 issues.
have you tried the 'Everyone' user? .. it only worked for me when I did the following below in Win7:

a) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate file permissions (right click Properties->Security tab->'Edit' button.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions)

b) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate share permissions (right click Properties->Sharing tab->'Advanced Sharing'->'Permissions'->'Add'.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions.

Well I had to do these steps for my setup. Hope this works for anyone out there.
glosne Wrote:OSX Version: 10.6.6
Platform: MacBook Pro
Install Method: dmg
SVN Revision: Git:ff701de (also tried with Dharma (10.0)

I’m unable to connect to network shares on a PC running Windows 7. The shares can be accessed in finder, and the pc shows up when I browse network locations when adding sources in XBMC. However, when I try to access it in XBMC, I keep getting asked to specify the login name and password. This keeps repeating, and it seems I’m unable to login no matter which user account I specify. The machine can be accessed by other computers running windows, including my mac when I bootcamp it.
What to do?

Full Debug log: http://pastebin.com/AVpJWYaF

Hello,

Did you install Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant on the PC? That is the problem, uninstall the program and the access runs again.
AppleTV 4K Release 17.2 with Kodi 17.6  & Kodi 20.2.0
QNAP NAS TVS-872XT - Build 5.1.2.2533
davilla Wrote:Search the forums, the reason for this has been answered many, many times.

That said, once builds with the new osx build system start coming out, this issue should be resolved once and for all as these builds include an update to samba upstream that resolved the Win7 issues.

I did search, but I figured I had missed something since I couldn't find any recent posts about this subject. My bad.
Any idea when these new osx builds with updated samba will be available?

toshiba1 Wrote:have you tried the 'Everyone' user? ..

Thanks for the suggestion, it didn't help tho..

guibaa Wrote:Hello,

Did you install Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant on the PC? That is the problem, uninstall the program and the access runs again.

I have tried this, but the assistant keeps reinstalling itself automatically.
did you check and see if your computer thinks its on a home or business network? search work group hit enter. Change workroup (if i remember correctly) change to home and restart your computer. Check the video link in my signature if you have any questions.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:did you check and see if your computer thinks its on a home or business network? search work group hit enter. Change workroup (if i remember correctly) change to home and restart your computer. Check the video link in my signature if you have any questions.

Thanks. I tried it, but it didn't help.
EDITED:

JUST FOLLOW THIS WITH PICTURES!!!
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7...-7-and-xp/

After you follow the guide above, then:

reboot /CYCLE both machines (XBMC AND WIN7)

IF this does not work THEN

find the msc to look up how many open conections you have to your computer

If more then ten = your problems.
Maybe this is a stupid question because I'm new at this, but how do you add the Homegroup instead of a folder or drive? So I'm clicking on Add Source -> Browse -> Windows Network (SMB) -> WORKGROUP -> PCNAME -> fill in login info, then it just cycles over and over again. I tried with it running through OSX and tried with the Live disc (which I'd actually prefer in the long term but it wouldn't even get past Windows Network.

Update that: I added the Workgroup, so now the cycle of trying to enter the password is just when I try to open the computer from the source list to actually access the media. Didn't really help anything.
in my own opinion all homegroup does is muck things up.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
ryan.robinson Wrote:Maybe this is a stupid question because I'm new at this, but how do you add the Homegroup instead of a folder or drive? So I'm clicking on Add Source -> Browse -> Windows Network (SMB) -> WORKGROUP -> PCNAME -> fill in login info, then it just cycles over and over again. I tried with it running through OSX and tried with the Live disc (which I'd actually prefer in the long term but it wouldn't even get past Windows Network.

Update that: I added the Workgroup, so now the cycle of trying to enter the password is just when I try to open the computer from the source list to actually access the media. Didn't really help anything.

You want to set up simple sharing like it is in windows XP.

READ THIS

and simple file sharing. READ THIS-

This should help. Funny how this is never brought up in those stupid install windows 7 classes. Confused

Of all the things they never do right this is one of them. where the hell is the Wizard NOW!Laugh
Still no luck. Any other ideas out there? Otherwise it might be time to give up on the XBMC idea.
ryan.robinson Wrote:Still no luck. Any other ideas out there? Otherwise it might be time to give up on the XBMC idea.

maybe you should give more info about which version xbmc your are using. some older versions will have problems dealing with win7 and it's madness they added.
10.1 I believe is the version number. I downloaded it a couple days ago. I'm giving up on getting it to work on the Mac, but I did manage to get the Live Disc to work after some of these other steps, so they were still effective at least for that. I'm planning now to just install it as a separate partition, which I've done before with Ubuntu so I should be able to figure out from that. Thanks for all the help.
Still no dice? WTF? That sucks man!

Well lets try one more thing before you give up.

When you are connecting to the Windows 7 PC , what protocall are you using. I had problems doing it when I added a SMB share. Seems like there are 2 types of SMB services in XBMC. One for unix compliant systems and one for windows.

Can you give us screen captures of your set up? It would help out a bunch to see that info.

I tried the linux live distro and have 9.1 .something from 2 years ago on the xbox (works PERFECT compared to the apple TV xbmc (no status 11 issues)

I have been able to get Universal plug and play working from 7 from WMP12.

Are you connecting via wireless? and are you using IPV4 and IPV6 on your network? That might be an issue.

Do you have any windows XP computers to test with?

You might also have the deaded 10 connection llimit working as well. It is a problem on the apple TV where it will open up and take all 10 slots so that when you try to go back and browse on a drive, it won;t let you back in again and ask for your password.

Don't feel bad if you can;t get it to work. I have a buddy that does computer refreshes at a bank and I had to help him extensibly to get it working to just share with WinXP computers on his home network.

As a last ditch effort, Micrsosfty Indian Division posts that you might just need to set up a new account so that you can share drives (non admin I think)

And well, other then that, till I know more about your setup, that's about all I can offer as far as know how around problems with network sharing.

If your in portland oregon, I can try to see if I can come by and help get it working as long as you supply diet soda. :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Accessing windows 7 share0