YaMBro - Yet another Media Browser (for Android)
Hi,

we've developed an app for Android OS, that you can use to browse your media offline on your Android phone. You don't need an online connection to XBMC (for that use case, use the great, official "XBMC Remote" Android app).

YaMBro is an offline browser, that uses your XBMC or EmberMediaManager database file. Just copy your Database file (MyVideos34.db or Media.emm) to your phone and you're ready to go.

Until we've setup an official web site for YaMBro, we use this thread for any announcements etc.

We need YOU for any feedback, requests, (device) testing, etc.

The app was developed on Samsung Galaxy I9000 but should work on any Android 2.2 (even 2.1) system.

Some pics:
Image Image Image Image

Beginning with release 0.6.1, we put YaMBro in the Android Market. You can download further versions here.

You're welcome to give us feedback!

Update: we've setup a small homepage here
Nice App, well done guys! Any chance to synchronize my db file online?
thanks,

feature request added...

though it would be difficult/not possible to sync only deltas. it would be always a full sync/download, so a normal copy doesn't take much longer...

To all repliers:
please tell us your device / Android version, if you've installed the app
thanks for the quick response! the only disadvantage i see in an online synchronization is the big size of the db file (my myVideos34.db is 11mb big). So this would use a lot of traffic.

i`m using android 2.2 on my zte blade san francisco.
Hi, the app looks great! But what's the point of it? Excuse my ignorance but what is the intended use?
How do you see this working for those of us who have moved to the mySQL back end for XBMC?
vinistois Wrote:Hi, the app looks great! But what's the point of it? Excuse my ignorance but what is the intended use?

we started developing mainly because of three reasons:
  • it's offline ("to go"). for example when you're in a store and don't know if you already have a specific movie (watched). it's fun to find out, how the actors of your movies are related to some tv shows, or even where they are credited.
  • it has a list management included (fast way to add loans, when your buddys borrow something or watchlist)
  • no filter techniques in our media managers (XBMC, EMM) were satisfying to identify wrong-scraped movies.
gmk2 Wrote:How do you see this working for those of us who have moved to the mySQL back end for XBMC?

at the moment not possible. maybe we'll add a function to import mysql-dumps (or something like that).
but the intended use is for offline use anyway...
It would be great if this program could (online) connect to a mysql database, without the need of XBMC running!
xburchartz Wrote:It would be great if this program could (online) connect to a mysql database, without the need of XBMC running!

hmmm, this app wasn't designed for online access...
why do you want to access your mysql-db without xbmc?
since you'll need a connectionto your media serveranyway, why not use a running xbmc to connect to?
what sense makes it to connect only to mysql with no playing option?
yambro Wrote:hmmm, this app wasn't designed for online access...
why do you want to access your mysql-db without xbmc?
since you'll need a connectionto your media serveranyway, why not use a running xbmc to connect to?
what sense makes it to connect only to mysql with no playing option?

The "media server" model has the mysql database hosted on a server along with all the media. XBMC is then sitting on a nice, quiet, small and only sometimes on box sitting under the TV. In this model XBMC doesn't use a sqlite db.

If your using your tool as an offline browser it certainly wouldn't want/need to talk to XBMC to browse the library since the XBMC box is not hosting any of this information.

If your using your tool as a remote control then sure, for remote functions you want to send control messages to the XBMC box. This is unlikely to occur when you are "off line" browsing your library.
hi can you tell me where can I find the ember database? ... and the xbmc one?

thanks
bkund12 Wrote:hi can you tell me where can I find the ember database? ... and the xbmc one?

thanks

the Ember database is the the file "Media.emm" in your Ember-Installation directory.

For XBMC, there could be more possible directories (depends on usage type)
The file is called "MyVideos34.db" and could be located either in <xbmc-path>\portable_data\userdata\Database or in <xbmc-path\userdata\database or in your user-home-directory (depending on your OS-version, for example Windows 7: C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Database)
gmk2 Wrote:The "media server" model has the mysql database hosted on a server along with all the media. XBMC is then sitting on a nice, quiet, small and only sometimes on box sitting under the TV. In this model XBMC doesn't use a sqlite db.

If your using your tool as an offline browser it certainly wouldn't want/need to talk to XBMC to browse the library since the XBMC box is not hosting any of this information.

If your using your tool as a remote control then sure, for remote functions you want to send control messages to the XBMC box. This is unlikely to occur when you are "off line" browsing your library.

to my knowledge, we'll need a workaround to connect to a mysql-db (e.g. via php-scripts hosted on the server), since android can't access a mysql-db native.

if you have any suggestions for other ways connecting to the mysql-db, don't hesitate to contact us.
How about joining efforts and incorporating the offline mode into the official Android app? I've already thought about doing this and since you guys seem to be keen on this feature, it would be a great addition to the existing app. Shouldn't be too difficult either, need to abstract the lib access and add caching where possible.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YaMBro - Yet another Media Browser (for Android)0