[iPod] installed... Won't open...
Hi,

I installed XBMC via Cydia on iOS 4.2.1.

All seemed to go fine. When I load the application by touching the shortcut all the icons on the screen disperse as with starting any other app, but nothing happens and they all return.

I spoke to a friend and he said there might be another thread somewhere explaining that 'something' else is required to enable it to run.

I've tried searching but to no avail. Anyone got any pointers?

Cheers.
Careh Wrote:Hi,

I installed XBMC via Cydia on iOS 4.2.1.

All seemed to go fine. When I load the application by touching the shortcut all the icons on the screen disperse as with starting any other app, but nothing happens and they all return.

I spoke to a friend and he said there might be another thread somewhere explaining that 'something' else is required to enable it to run.

I've tried searching but to no avail. Anyone got any pointers?

Cheers.

You probably have a 2nd or 1st gen iPod touch. XBMC requires at least a 3rd gen (8GB model for 3rd gen is actually a 2nd gen) iPod touch.
Ned Scott Wrote:You probably have a 2nd or 1st gen iPod touch. XBMC requires at least a 3rd gen (8GB model for 3rd gen is actually a 2nd gen) iPod touch.

Yip, you're exactly right, I thought my 8gb was 3g... gutted :/

Thanks though!

I take it there is nowt I can do about this?
Careh Wrote:Yip, you're exactly right, I thought my 8gb was 3g... gutted :/

Thanks though!

I take it there is nowt I can do about this?

Nope. I had a 2nd gen iPod touch when XBMC for iOS first came out and felt the pain too. In addition to faster CPU requirements, the graphics processor inside the iPod must support OpenGL ES 2.0, which is only on 3rd gen or above devices.

In theory I think it would be possible for another jailbroken video player to use the same private API calls that XBMC uses to use hardware video decoding, and thus make a player that runs on the second gen hardware that can playback media using h.264, but so far XBMC is the only 3rd party game in town for HW decoding on any iOS device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[iPod] installed... Won't open...0