[LINUX] XBMC super slow menus - unusable
I have an Acer Aspire Revo R3600 (Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz, 1GB etc.) running Ubuntu 10.10. Its a completely clean Ubuntu install and the first thing I have done is install XBMC following this script (as per the wiki):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get update

I started up XBMC and it is unusably slow. The cursor is unresponsive and there are 10-20 second from pressing a cursor to something moving. Also, the RSS feed is almost at a standstill. Clearly the whole thing is just going slow (although the first part of launch is fast enough.

I have previous installed Ubuntu and XBMC on two much old PCs and they work perfectly well. I have barely done anything on the Acer - how can I have got it so wrong?

Any advice on where to start trying to fix this?

Many thanks,
- M
That sounds a lot like the OpenGL not working as it should. Did the graphics driver installed correctly?

Turn on debug and post xbmc.log. Instructions here.

System hardware configuration is also a plus (how much ram allocated to GPU, CPU throttled down, etc).

Try installing the Nvidia VDPAU drivers following the link in my sig.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks for the response.

I have followed your advice re: drivers and followed the instructions in the link "Nvidia drivers always up to date". However, now when I try and run XBMC I now get an error saying "XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install and appropriate graphics driver". Did I do something wrong?

Ihave tried to locate the xbmc.log file. However, I don;t have an xbmc directory in /home/<username>/.xbmc/temp

Sorry - I'm a little new to this so may be making a school-boy error . . .

- M
You know what - you are a legend . . .

After a bit of faffing with error messages, editting nvidia-xconfig and restarting Xserver it is working well. Looks like it was the drivers.

Many thanks
- M
Glad I could help.
I'm going to update my link with instructions on generating a xorg.conf file.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC super slow menus - unusable0