Nas/xbmc pc
I have a dedicated electronics closet serving my living room and was planning to add a NAS server there. I also wanted to add a box to play XBMC on my widescreen. I came to the realization that buying two boxes is kind of moronic.

So, I'm toying with the idea of creating an Ubuntu server to serve both purposes. I would create a RAID 5 and use it to safely store my video library as well as be a network backup for my 3 Win7 PCs. I think I also have a spare HDTV tuner card I may throw in there too to play around with Myth TV. Perhaps...

Anywho, I'm looking for advice on hardware. I think I want to use:
- Ubuntu + raid5 mdadm
- Norco 4U Server Rackmount Chassis with 5 Hot Swappable Drive Bays
- 5 WD 2 TB Drives
- An Old nvidia card I have
- Spare 550W PSU
- I'll probably add a IR receiver and TV tuner card.

The question I have is the MB. I would prefer one that I can easily could use with Ubuntu (supported?), dual gigabytes would be ideal, and can support software RAID 5. Core Duo would be ideal.

Any thoughts?

Any advice on the build for a Windows power user but Unix novice?
ZestyChicken Wrote:I have a dedicated electronics closet serving my living room and was planning to add a NAS server there. I also wanted to add a box to play XBMC on my widescreen. I came to the realization that buying two boxes is kind of moronic.
Far from that, actually.

ZestyChicken Wrote:So, I'm toying with the idea of creating an Ubuntu server to serve both purposes. I would create a RAID 5 and use it to safely store my video library as well as be a network backup for my 3 Win7 PCs. I think I also have a spare HDTV tuner card I may throw in there too to play around with Myth TV. Perhaps...

Anywho, I'm looking for advice on hardware. I think I want to use:
- Ubuntu + raid5 mdadm
- Norco 4U Server Rackmount Chassis with 5 Hot Swappable Drive Bays
- 5 WD 2 TB Drives
- An Old nvidia card I have
- Spare 550W PSU
- I'll probably add a IR receiver and TV tuner card.

The question I have is the MB. I would prefer one that I can easily could use with Ubuntu (supported?), dual gigabytes would be ideal, and can support software RAID 5. Core Duo would be ideal.

Any thoughts?

Any advice on the build for a Windows power user but Unix novice?
I'd just keep the NAS and HTPC separate. It will use less power, output less heat and noise and can be easily expanded on in the future.
xecutionx Wrote:I'd just keep the NAS and HTPC separate. It will use less power, output less heat and noise and can be easily expanded on in the future.

It's going to be in a closet, so noise isn't much of an issue. Not sure power for two boxes always on is less than one box always on.

From what I've seen, many of the best NAS servers, while expandable, seem to be good for only certain HDDs. Not an issue with a commercial MB. Now maybe that's only an issue at this time and will resolve with time, not sure. Either way, I like the idea of creating something I can control.
Hmmm...not attracting much traffic here.

So far, I'm a bit torn with my research. ideally I would like to get a Atom based MB with dual gigabyte, nVidia ION built-in, with 8x PCIe to install a Adaptec hardware RAID for reliable RAID 5.

The atom based MB/PSU should be fine for what the device will be tasked with.

The problem is, that MB doesn't exist. So my compromise is to drop the dual Ethernet requirement and go with:

ASRock A330ION Intel Atom 330 PBGA437 NVIDIA MCP7A-ION Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo $150

4 GB DDR3 1066/800 RAM $45

Adaptec 2244100-R PCI Express SATA / SAS 5805 Controller Card $550

5 2TB drives (already have 2, so really just 3 @ $75) @225

Case $200

All in all, it ends up being a cheaper alternative to a dedicated NAS alone of comparable size, much less two devices. The only thing I don't have a handle on is how much the compromises I'm making end up affecting the speed and capability of the NAS.

Would love to hear some thoughts.
ZestyChicken Wrote:It's going to be in a closet, so noise isn't much of an issue. Not sure power for two boxes always on is less than one box always on.

From what I've seen, many of the best NAS servers, while expandable, seem to be good for only certain HDDs. Not an issue with a commercial MB. Now maybe that's only an issue at this time and will resolve with time, not sure. Either way, I like the idea of creating something I can control.

With UNRAID you can mix and match different hd manu's (WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung), rpm speed (5400, 7200), size (2tb,1tb, 10gb even) and even interface (IDE, Sata). I currently have 3x 1.5tb hdd and 2x 2tb hdd's (all Samsung). One of those 2tb HDD's are being used for parity protection. Basically, if one drive fails, I can replace it and my data would be recreated. Now say, two drives fail. With a normal RAID array, you will lose everything. I just lose anything on the two failed drives, the other 3 are fine with data intact. Poofy (on this board) has a system with a huge variety of drives, maybe he can post a screenshot for you.

UNRAID spins down the drives that are not in use, so you save even more power. When something needs to access data, that drive is spun up. My motherboard is an expensive one, with IPMI. I intend to put my unraid box into a closet, with a headless install. I can turn the machine on/off and manage everything remotely. If I buy an addon card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6816101358), I can run up to 14 drives in my current setup. My current setup, without the cost of drives, is the same price as your pci sata controller, I believe.

My box is on 24/7 running Sickbeard, Couch Potato, sabnzbd and Transmission. This has made my life much easier as nearly everything is automated. The complete setup will cost you a little more now, but in the long run, you will be happier.
xecutionx Wrote:With UNRAID you can mix and match different hd manu's (WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung), rpm speed (5400, 7200), size (2tb,1tb, 10gb even) and even interface (IDE, Sata). I currently have 3x 1.5tb hdd and 2x 2tb hdd's (all Samsung). One of those 2tb HDD's are being used for parity protection. Basically, if one drive fails, I can replace it and my data would be recreated. Now say, two drives fail. With a normal RAID array, you will lose everything. I just lose anything on the two failed drives, the other 3 are fine with data intact. Poofy (on this board) has a system with a huge variety of drives, maybe he can post a screenshot for you.

UNRAID spins down the drives that are not in use, so you save even more power. When something needs to access data, that drive is spun up. My motherboard is an expensive one, with IPMI. I intend to put my unraid box into a closet, with a headless install. I can turn the machine on/off and manage everything remotely. If I buy an addon card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6816101358), I can run up to 14 drives in my current setup. My current setup, without the cost of drives, is the same price as your pci sata controller, I believe.

My box is on 24/7 running Sickbeard, Couch Potato, sabnzbd and Transmission. This has made my life much easier as nearly everything is automated. The complete setup will cost you a little more now, but in the long run, you will be happier.

Thanks for the feedback. Your setup sounds pretty good. Of course, keep in mind I am not going for a headless design so UNRAID is not really the way to go for me (at least I don't think).

After digging, I found a $100 RAID card that would work nearly as well as the $500 (just lacks the power management features).

In the meantime, I've been playing around with Ubuntu. I was a total noob to it previously. Overall I like the OS but it has a LOOONNNGG way to go to unseat Windows. Fine for geeks. For the less tech saavy who don't want to spend hours tracking down add-ins, a pretty much no-go. Despite what everyone will have you believe, Windows 7 is a better user experience by far. Further, the Windows equivalents of Unix apps are by and large superior. This is especially true for music players. I completely hosed the organization of my music collection thanks to Banshee (ever heard of compilationsHuh).

However, Win7's also not free and it's majorly bloated.

For what I am using the NAS/XBMC machine for, I think it will be perfect.

On a side note, I downloaded all sick beard and couch potato and all that stuff. Took awhile to set up but works OK. My main problem is AT&T turned off usenet access so I would have to pay for it. Doh... I'm also finding many of the older TV shows I want aren't available (e.g. Rome, Spartacus). Seems like network TV mostly, which I can get via Netflix or cable anyway. Still, kinda cool I guess.

EDIT: Scratch the last comment. Apparently was using the wrong indexing sites...
I wouldn't use a raid card. Regular Ubuntu software RAID is better.

poofyhairguy Wrote:I wouldn't use a raid card. Regular Ubuntu software RAID is better.

Well the software RAID solution is going to be motherboard limited if I'm going to go with a Atom solution. Most of them (and the one I'm looking at) only have 4 SATA ports, and only support RAID 0 or 1.

I think $100 is pretty reasonable for RAID 5, especially when I'm only spending $100 on the MB and CPU.
So um.... get a SATA expansion card and use software RAID.

If your hardware RAID controller fails. You better have the IDENTICAL part. (Firmware, part number, everything) if you want to make sure you can get to everything.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:So um.... get a SATA expansion card and use software RAID.

If your hardware RAID controller fails. You better have the IDENTICAL part. (Firmware, part number, everything) if you want to make sure you can get to everything.

Hmmm....I'll give it some thought. Thanks.
You should really look closer at the unRAID solution. I tried a variety of different raid solutions and they all ended in the same way when hardware crapped out.

unRAID is the ONLY raid solution that can survive hardware dying. If you value the contents of your NAS then you have to plan for failure. What do you do when the card dies or the motherboard dies? You can store spare parts which is a good idea but expensive. You can constantly backup the data to restore it to a new raid build. Again, expensive and time consuming.

I've personally changed out the motherboard 4 times on my media server. I've changed out the sata cards a number of times. I've changed hard drives from 500GB to 1.5TB 7200 rpm to 2TB green drives. unRAID booted up every time with no issues, no hairy reconfiguration, no rebuilding of the array.
Take a look at FlexRAID for a s/w raid solution.
You can use it on Win7 or Unbuntu.

The cool thing is, as queeg stated you can still use use hard drives and data if your hardware configuration dies. With flexraid you can still read the drives because thet are not stripped or modified in anyway.

I think the Atom CPU is a liitle too small for the job.
queeg Wrote:unRAID is the ONLY raid solution that can survive hardware dying.

?? Any software raid will do that.
queeg Wrote:unRAID is the ONLY raid solution that can survive hardware dying.

Or mdadm.
Or ZFS.
Or BTRFS.

But yeah, other than those, it is the only raid solution.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Laserray Wrote:Take a look at FlexRAID for a s/w raid solution.
You can use it on Win7 or Unbuntu.

The cool thing is, as queeg stated you can still use use hard drives and data if your hardware configuration dies. With flexraid you can still read the drives because thet are not stripped or modified in anyway.

I think the Atom CPU is a liitle too small for the job.

Yeah that was my other concern with the software RAID. My alternative (more expensive) build involved building an AMD Phenom based server, again running Ubuntu c mdadm c 4 2 TB drives in a RAID 5. The MDI board I am looking at even has 2 gigabyte ethernet ports which is quite nice for the extra bandwidth. It's got plenty of PCIe slots of expansion should I choose. Kind of goes against the minimalist approach and is power hungry but would give me more flexibility...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nas/xbmc pc0