[AppleTV1] Problems Installing ATV Bootloader
I'm trying to install the ATV Bootloader. I am using ATV USB creator for windows to make the patch stick. I think everything is going well with that. I used the USB Image Tool software to restore the image to the flash drive and everything.

I am plugging in the usb drive into the ATV while it is unplugged. I am plugging it in then holding down Menu and - for what seems like way too long. The screen is flashing on and off like it's finding a video signal then losing it, although nothing is displayed on the screen.

Eventually it boots up and asks me if I want to restore defaults. The ATV bootloader does not automatically run.

Maybe the flash drive just won't work with the ATV? It's formatted as fat32.

I am using Windows 7 and the ATV is OS 3.0.2.
I don't think you have to hold the buttons. Just plug in the usb stick then plug in the power. Let it boot and do the patch.

If the patchstick was done correctly, I don't think window will recognize it so you can check it that way.
http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/...stickGuide

when you made the patch stick did you make sure that you were working with it in device mode and not volume mode? Also did you restore the patch stick image?
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
meineke Wrote:I don't think you have to hold the buttons. Just plug in the usb stick then plug in the power. Let it boot and do the patch.

If the patchstick was done correctly, I don't think window will recognize it so you can check it that way.

Hadn't tried this yet, until now. Nothing happened.

Windows doesn't recognize my flash drive anymore either, so it seems like that is right. The USB Image Tool can still see it though.

I read that some flash drives don't work. Does that mean with the image tool or the ATV doesn't recognize them?

Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/...stickGuide

when you made the patch stick did you make sure that you were working with it in device mode and not volume mode? Also did you restore the patch stick image?

I was following this guide (among others.) I realized that this one didn't tell you that you had to unplug power from it, so I hit menu+- and it started. I tried just waiting until it restarted and also holding it down for a long time.

The same thing happens. I get no linux code flying by, it just goes to the screen where it prompts me for language then restart/run diagnostics/restore the device.

Thanks for the help so far, guys!
If it ask you to select language, it is in recovery mode. You don't want that right now.

Try booting aTV normally. (select language then restart)
unplug power
plug in patch stick
plug in power

It should now boot with usb stick..
If you get this far, it is good.

When it is done doing its thing, unplug power, remove usb, then plug power back in.
You should see a new launcher menu. select download and download the latest launcher software. After that you can reboot then go to launcher to install xbmc.
Thanks for all the help meineke.

I started completely over, making sure to triple check everything. It's still not working.

I am guessing the ATV just can't deal with this particular flash drive? I'm using a Kingston Data Traveler, 4gb.
Yep, the usb you have will not work.
http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/...tail?id=29

I use corsair volagermini and it worked fine.
D'oh! Thanks for all of your help.

I bought a new SanDisk flash drive and it worked. Couldn't have been easier! I wish I looked up my flash drive before I wasted all of that time.

Thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] Problems Installing ATV Bootloader0