AppleTV 2 to update or not to updrate?
I just got my apple tv 2 (Monday)

and I jailbroke it and install XBMC and i love!!!! it!!!

now!!! This apple tv came with 4.1 firmware. Should I upgrade to newer firmware or just leave it the way it is now? Some feedback would really be appreciate it!
Mine comes in next week so interested in feed back too.
No don't, the problems outweigh the benefits right now.
zerolimit Wrote:I just got my apple tv 2 (Monday)

and I jailbroke it and install XBMC and i love!!!! it!!!

now!!! This apple tv came with 4.1 firmware. Should I upgrade to newer firmware or just leave it the way it is now? Some feedback would really be appreciate it!

If you're interested in learning about how to jailbreak and like to tinker in general (and are ok with some technical issues) I'd say go for it.

If you want a stable media player and don't enjoy tinkering then I'd say stay where you are.
Asgardsurfer

thanks man! I was messing with it last night at home and was debating! It works perfect and DTS and AC3 now work with the FAQ that I read! MKV's work superb (720p) 1080p files not to good! but anyways anyone know what are the benefits and problems from updating? Thank You!
I would recommend staying where you're at for the time being also. I updated yesterday and think I may go back if possible until more features are supported.
ah ok good ill stay were I am at lol I rather have a stable media center!
To get Airplay we will have to have 4.2.1 right?
Seems to be that the only reason to upgrade is if you require airplay video streaming.

I've just got an ipad and am quite keen to upgrade my atv so I can check out airplay, but must admit I think I might wait until its all settled down and stabilized. Unless somebody else can come up with a reason to upgrade.
My opinion is, stay!! Don't upgrade!! If you can, upgrade to 4.2.1, but i don't think that wil be possible...
The thing is that i upgeaded to 4.3 and xbmc stopped working like it used to(no mkv playing anymore)... I was very lucky that apple started signing 4.2.1 again, so i could downgrade back to 4.2.1!
Now i have a working xbmc media player with airplay and as long as xbmc doesn't work perfectly with 4.3.x, i will stay where i am now.
Do not upgrade until a stable (official) release of xbmc is out to support atv 4.3
ok good I will stay with my current firmware thank you guys glad I didn't update!
jhonny30 Wrote:My opinion is, stay!! Don't upgrade!! If you can, upgrade to 4.2.1, but i don't think that wil be possible...
The thing is that i upgeaded to 4.3 and xbmc stopped working like it used to(no mkv playing anymore)... I was very lucky that apple started signing 4.2.1 again, so i could downgrade back to 4.2.1!
Now i have a working xbmc media player with airplay and as long as xbmc doesn't work perfectly with 4.3.x, i will stay where i am now.

When you upgraded to iOS 4.3 did you install one of the unofficial XBMC nightly builds or just the official XBMC build? Using the official builds /w iOS 4.3 will break hardware acceleration (likely your issue with mkv files), might break other things too.

Should still be able to install iOS 4.2.1 these days... last I heard Apple was still signing it. For anyone that doesn't know, google/download the 4.2.1 atv2 ipsw file, plug in via microUSB only, start iTunes, shift-click (or option-click) the Restore button and pick your downloaded 4.2.1 ipsw file. Then run Tiny Umbrella to save your SHSH blobs for when Apple stops signing it.

iOS 4.3 with a nightly build works pretty well but iOS 4.2.1 /w official build was a little more trouble free in my case.
I wonder how long till we see xbmc updated for 4.3.1. I'm interested in seeing if they can optimize the UI a bit more.
dieselboy27 Wrote:I wonder how long till we see xbmc updated for 4.3.1. I'm interested in seeing if they can optimize the UI a bit more.

Please read this again "iOS 4.3 with a nightly build works pretty well" Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV 2 to update or not to updrate?0