No HDMI sound using 10.1
Hi All,

Im wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on getting the sound working on my new HTPC. i am using a gt430 GPU. sound works fine in win7 just not in live 10.1 that i have.
I have unmuted the everything in AudioMixer 1.0.6, Set the Audio to HDMI 5.1. tried with and with out DD and DTS. Tried the output and pass through HDMI, Nvidia HDMI, custom. I found a post where some asked a similar question and they recieved the "sudo aplay -l" output. the custom setting i used was plughw:1,3 I asume the 1 is the card and the 3 is the device.

any help would be much appreciated
thanks
steve

here is my aplay output
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
I have what I guess is a similar problem. I am no longer getting surround output, but only stereo. I have tried more or less any setting I can think of in XBMC, but without luck.

Whether this is a problem with XBMC or some Linux (driver), I am not sure, but I suspect it is an underlying Linux problem. However, I am on a bit too deep water...

I am using a HD3200 motherboard with HDMI pass through (or that is at least what I want to use). I have spent half the day looking for pointers of what to do to get back 5.1/DTS sound. All suggestions would be appreciated.
HI there,

There is an option in the audio setting to convert sound to 2.0. have you untick that?
Thanks a lot for the replay. I have not checked the 2.0 conversion. The problem is that I constantly get the "unable to initialize sound device" message (or something like that), when trying to play DTS. AC3 is only played back as stereo.

It seems to me that it is a driver operating system problem, but what do I know. The sound device is listed as "Digital Stereo (HDMI)" under System->Preferences->Sound->Hardware. I don't know what it should have been, but for the analogue part I have an option named "Surround something...".
Try

plughw:1,7

also if you are only using your tv for audio disable dolby and dts and make sure your set at 2.0 channels

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
Hi All,

Just a quick update. I had a linux admin at work here look at my system and logged into the system and checked the aslamixer and found a few of the spdif's were muted, unmuted them and used plughw:1,9 in the custom audio setting and i now have sound Smile Sorry just not sure what the commands are to get to the aslamixer.

Cheers
steve
infinityteg Wrote:Hi All,

Sorry just not sure what the commands are to get to the aslamixer.

alsamixer -c <CARD NO.> for future reference Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HDMI sound using 10.10