Athlon II X2 240e (Energy Efficient)
I just plopped one of those Energy efficient Athlon II cpus in my media PC.
They are a bit pricey for the speed (mine is the 240e which is like 2.8ghz).
They are hard to find..... i got mine on amazon for around 75 bucks.
It only uses 45 watts of electricity and man does this thing run cool and silent.

I replaced an Athlon X2 6400+ that ran at 125 watts....
I figure it will save me about 30 bucks a year in electricity since my machine runs 24x7
I saw some tests that shown its exactly the same cpu as without "e" but just underclocked & undervolted. You may use k10stat (or smth like this) on normal cpu and set the same parameters = getting "e" version - the same goes to "u" version.
interesting... i should try that in my other media pc, it has the Athlon II 250 which runs at 65watts

EDIT: for linux it looks like K10ctl
http://www.ztex.de/misc/k10ctl.e.html
I found this test - unfortunately its in polish language. But here is interesting part - they made athlon 250u (25w tdp) from normal athlon II x2 255 by setting exactly the same p-states using k10stats. They did a lot performance tests and results were the same (+/- 1%). Here is power usage at full load - athlon II x2 255 green is that one underclocked & undervolted to match athlon II x2 250u.
nemek: are you from Poland Big Grin?
Quote:nemek: are you from Poland ?
tak
nemek Wrote:tak

dobrze wiedzieć że jest tu więcej polaków Laugh
może ustaw sobie lokalizację*w profilu, żeby reszta też wiedziała Laugh
nemek Wrote:I found this test - unfortunately its in polish language. But here is interesting part - they made athlon 250u (25w tdp) from normal athlon II x2 255 by setting exactly the same p-states using k10stats. They did a lot performance tests and results were the same (+/- 1%). Here is power usage at full load - athlon II x2 255 green is that one underclocked & undervolted to match athlon II x2 250u.

Thanks for posting this! I've been thinking about building a low-power Mythbuntu back end, and, frankly, I'm a very cheap guy!
@old sparks...

LOL. I saw your user info and thought, "Where in the hell is Upper Kanuckistan?" Wow, maybe the Taliban likes XBMC or perhaps old sparks built a rig for Osama. So I did what any ignorant American would do - I Googled it. Google Maps had nothing. Then it hit me - ahh, he must be from Northern Canada.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:@old sparks...

LOL. I saw your user info and thought, "Where in the hell is Upper Kanuckistan?" Wow, maybe the Taliban likes XBMC or perhaps old sparks built a rig for Osama. So I did what any ignorant American would do - I Googled it. Google Maps had nothing. Then it hit me - ahh, he must be from Northern Canada.

Heh! That's ok. I thought Ohio was the Hoosier state, until I remembered that Les Nessman won the Buckeye news award.

Ontario was "Upper Canada" and Quebec was "Lower Canada". 'nuff boring canadian history...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Athlon II X2 240e (Energy Efficient)0