Cannot Connect ATV2 with XMBC to Win7
Hi all,

I have tried for 3 days to resolve this issue by reading every post I can find on these forums relating to this but nothing works!

Basically I cannot connect to Windows SMB. I have followed all instructions for setting up sharing etc which I found on this site and everything (seems) to be configured correctly. When I go to add source the Windows SMB option under browse is red. I have tried manually adding the path but still, nothing. I get Error 2.

I am using the following:

Windows 7 PC which is connected to the internet via a Aztech router. The Apple TV is connected directly to this router via ethernet cable. Internet works on my ATV however I cant connect to iTunes or XBMC. When I go wireless however, I can access my iTunes library but still not SMB from XBMC. Additionally, when I plug the ATV via ethernet directly to my PCs network port I can also see iTunes library but again, still not SMB via XBMC (obviously internet doesnt work either when plugged directly into PC port). Also I cannot SSH to my ATC - connection gets refused.

I jailbroke my ATV2 with Sn0wbreeze and installed XBMC with NitoTV.

I am guessing this is a sharing/network issue rather than an XBMC issue, however I wanted to post here as this is likely a problem others have experienced.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
Hey sorry to bump so soon but its disappearing of page one Smile
I had the same problem with SMB. Use Windows Share Manager.

http://www.jankamp.com/2010/11/windows-share-manager/

Press the Sharing Registry Fix + Fix selected Shares
Thanks man, I will give it a go now and report back.
I have same proble after i update my atv2 with snow i cant get into my file. I try from my iphone and got in no proble so i know is not the pc cause xbcm work on the iphone i see my movie but the atv does not. Helpppp
esbenwahl Wrote:I had the same problem with SMB. Use Windows Share Manager.

http://www.jankamp.com/2010/11/windows-share-manager/

Press the Sharing Registry Fix + Fix selected Shares

Did not work for me. Helppppp
have you tried the 'Everyone' user? .. it only worked for me when I did the following below in Win7:

a) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate file permissions (right click Properties->Security tab->'Edit' button.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions)

b) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate share permissions (right click Properties->Sharing tab->'Advanced Sharing'->'Permissions'->'Add'.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions.

Well I had to do these steps for my setup. Hope this works for anyone out there.
toshiba1 Wrote:have you tried the 'Everyone' user? .. it only worked for me when I did the following below in Win7:

a) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate file permissions (right click Properties->Security tab->'Edit' button.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions)

b) On the shared directory, make sure you have appropriate share permissions (right click Properties->Sharing tab->'Advanced Sharing'->'Permissions'->'Add'.. add 'Everyone' user with read permissions.

Well I had to do these steps for my setup. Hope this works for anyone out there.
The proble is that it does not see the network. Is not only the folder but the hold network. Wend i us the program on the iphone it work great.
Windows Share Manager did not work. It did SOMETHING because now my PS3 can see my Windows PC, however XBMC nor SSH work still.

I then tried to re-jailbreak with Seas0nPass however upon successful jailbreak, the device showed nothing related to jailbreak - it was as if the JB didnt work at all. So then I re-re-jailbroke with Sn0wbreeze again, reconnected etc and then SSH DID work. I was excited thinking that now because SSH was working the SMB issue would also work - however I NOW couldnt install XBMC through NitoTV nor SSH (was getting segmentation error in SSH and install kept failing in Nito). So...after probably 8 hours of retrying to install, I jailbroke AGAIN with sn0wbreeze - XBMC is now installed, but surprise surprise, I cant friggin SSH anymore and of course SMB still doesnt work.

This whole episode leads me to think this is an issue with the Jailbreak - shares have definitely opened up as my PS3 can see them, and never could. I also beleive that when I could SSH into my ATV, the SMB would also have worked but I couldnt install XBMC. The re-jailbreak has returned things to how they were (no SSH and no SMB).

Are there any other Jailbreaks I can use? Seas0nPass dont work and Sn0wbreeze seems buggy.

This is just speculation of course, I dont know for sure.

Any other suggestions? My ATV will soon become a flying paper weight!
Well, i have jailbroke my ATV2 several times, dont ask why, it was a headache. But eachtime i did, i was able to find my Windows shares. I found them under SMB as well as doing a search for my computer and find it that way as well.

I think we need to start from the beginning and look at your computer and then work on the ATV2

For the computer-windows 7 right??
Also, the folders that you have your movies in, its shared and you have EVERYONE as full access, correct?
Also, just for S and Gs, make sure the windows firewall is off, this shouldnt matter, but at this point, lets make sure nothing is blocking your PC at all.
Hi pgoose,

Yes, windows 7
The folders are shared for everyone, definitely.
Windows firewall is off. As is Zonealarm.

Is it worth noting that the share is on an external drive?
Ive just tried sharing a folder on C: too and still same issue, so external drive makes no difference.
It shouldn't matter external or not.

I have had external and internal HD's show up and work just fine.

Ok, so PC seems to be in correct order.
Now when you launch your ATV2, does it find your computer at all, or does it just look for things and never finds your computer.

Because when i do a search, i had tversity on my computer along with my shares, so my computer showed up twice actually..One for Tversity and one for my shares.

So, what does your ATV2 see or not see
I have same cant c to find the proble. After i upgrade is that this proble show up. Have no been able to c my workgrope from my atv but i have the program on iphone and smb work with no problem.
pgoose Wrote:It shouldn't matter external or not.

I have had external and internal HD's show up and work just fine.

Ok, so PC seems to be in correct order.
Now when you launch your ATV2, does it find your computer at all, or does it just look for things and never finds your computer.

Because when i do a search, i had tversity on my computer along with my shares, so my computer showed up twice actually..One for Tversity and one for my shares.

So, what does your ATV2 see or not see

My does not c any workgrop error 2 allways

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cannot Connect ATV2 with XMBC to Win70