Quieter4C best box for the price of 2023?
Just looked at the Quieter4C over at little computing. Starting at $241. Seems like a pretty sweet deal. Has av1 decoding. Thoughts? I can't seem to find if it has good hdr support. But the form factor looks great for a tv. Could put a usb ir adapter on the side. That would ideally be on the front but I think the side would work too.

ooh

just based on the i/o i like that, fully functional usb-c with pd+dp means portable kodi just grab a portable 4k hdr monitor from uperfect and run off a power bank Smile

intel uhd should be more than capable, onboard emmc is nice, nvme slot is a bonus, capable of ddr4 according to the cpu specs
... i think i will have to own one of these, nice find

edit:

removed video and links pertaining to "Quieter4" which are not the "4C" variant"

edit2:

had a good look around, the Quieter4C ("C") might be more expensive than it's counterparts and i personally would hold out for the newer Quieter4, i cannot locate where to purchase one though

in roughly the same form factor with a newer N100, DDR5 with intel uhd is actually cheaper than this one is but the deficit may be the loss of the emmc but both support nvme (which would probably be my choice anyway)
What makes you think there will be Quieter4 model? MeLE doesn't use such naming. There was not Quieter 3, only Quieter 3Q and Quieter 3C. See Fanless Mini PC for reference.
(2023-12-18, 01:35)guinot Wrote: There was not Quieter 3

https://youtu.be/Zj8LAmlM0EA?t=25

the review video has been pulled for the "Quieter4" but this is the device i was talking about waiting for https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/mele-quiet...dows-11-pc
Those videos and reviews don't bother with correct model names. There is neither Quiter3, nor Quiter4. Don't trust random BS from the Internet.
(2023-12-19, 10:53)guinot Wrote: Those videos and reviews don't bother with correct model names. There is neither Quiter3, nor Quiter4. Don't trust random BS from the Internet.

well the manual at 25s for the product in the video states Quieter3 and i didn't know i was being corrected by a MeLe representative Rolleyes

the point remains the same, the "whatever model" mele device that was asked about has an N95 cpu with DDR4 ram when there are offers at the same or lower price for devices with N100 and DDR5, admittedly with the deficit of onboard EMMC

EMMC being ~300MB/s and NVME over 3000MB/s i would still prefer NVME anyway

so it's not a good deal, in my opinion, to buy the Quieter4C or Quieter8943850934850934CCDDDEEFF whatever model
i picked up an N100/8GB LPDDR5 MINISFORUM brand to see how it performs with LibreELEC, price came in under $150 and i added a USBC-PD to 12v Barrel adapter so i can run a PD power supply
from everything i expect it should do well, i will miss DV but in the interest of testing i'm giving it a go, there are a ton of these things on the market right now so perhaps a good Pi alternative
(2023-12-19, 16:13)izprtxqkft Wrote: well the manual at 25s for the product in the video states Quieter3 and i didn't know i was being corrected by a MeLe representative
It's just a low-budget production with manuals printed for the entire product line. The same video shows the product sticker – Quieter 3C.
There's no need for anyone's representatives once you use a bit of reasoning.

(2023-12-19, 16:13)izprtxqkft Wrote: the point remains the same, the "whatever model" mele device that was asked about has an N95 cpu with DDR4 ram when there are offers at the same or lower price for devices with N100 and DDR5, admittedly with the deficit of onboard EMMC
For systems like these it really doesn't matter is it DDR4 or DDR5. N95/N100 are low-budget CPUs with only 9 PCIe lines. Just as the size of eMMC doesn't matter, since it is much slower than SSD and there's no real need to even use it.
You get what you pay for. And you won't get anything better ATM.

(2023-12-19, 16:13)izprtxqkft Wrote: so it's not a good deal, in my opinion, to buy the Quieter4C or Quieter8943850934850934CCDDDEEFF whatever model
It's a very good deal for this particular hardware. At this price point Quieter 4C has not competitors in the segment of fanless pocket-sized builds with this level of performance and power consumption. It is being sold now for $190 ($30 coupon applied) on Amazon.
(2023-12-20, 08:46)guinot Wrote: For systems like these it really doesn't matter is it DDR4 or DDR5. N95/N100 are low-budget CPUs with only 9 PCIe lines.

for performance i agree but buying the lower end DDR4 for the same price as DDR5 makes it not a good deal, why buy lower?
(2023-12-20, 08:46)guinot Wrote: Just as the size of eMMC doesn't matter, since it is much slower than SSD and there's no real need to even use it.

speed of emmc* was my point, size can be < 16GB for a decent linux install (liberelec)
(2023-12-20, 08:46)guinot Wrote: You get what you pay for. And you won't get anything better ATM.

actually i just did, see my last post

(2023-12-20, 08:46)guinot Wrote: It's a very good deal for this particular hardware. At this price point Quieter 4C has not competitors in the segment of fanless pocket-sized builds with this level of performance and power consumption. It is being sold now for $190 ($30 coupon applied) on Amazon.
i noticed the sales price

N100 also has less power consumption so still better

actually 27 results for N100+DDR5 under $200 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=n100+ddr5+min...6%3A-20000
(not all are DDR5 though, i didn't sift them)

( 37 more for N95+DDR4 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=n95+ddr4+mini...6%3A-20000 )
(2023-12-20, 08:44)izprtxqkft Wrote: i picked up an N100/8GB LPDDR5 MINISFORUM brand to see how it performs with LibreELEC, price came in under $150 and i added a USBC-PD to 12v Barrel adapter so i can run a PD power supply
For this form-factor looks like a good deal.
(2023-12-20, 08:56)izprtxqkft Wrote: for performance i agree but buying the lower end DDR4 for the same price as DDR5 makes it not a good deal, why buy lower?
For the same model – obviously no reason. But we are talking different models here.
(2023-12-20, 08:56)izprtxqkft Wrote: speed of emmc* was my point, size can be < 16GB for a decent linux install (liberelec)
Still not clear why bother installing anything on it at all.
(2023-12-20, 08:56)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2023-12-20, 08:46)guinot Wrote: You get what you pay for. And you won't get anything better ATM.
actually i just did, see my last post
Nope, it's a different form factor with power delivered over USB. Not saying that it matters to you.
(2023-12-20, 09:09)guinot Wrote: Nope, it's a different form factor

didn't consider form factor to be much of a game changer, it's small vs tiny but if tiny is the form factor you actually want then the mele is really the only choice

(2023-12-20, 09:09)guinot Wrote: with power delivered over USB

that's why i added the usbc-pd to 12v barrel so this one i bought will be powered in the same way from a USBC-PD adapter (and technically be portable since it also should do PD-OUT+DP from it's USBC port)

(2023-12-20, 09:09)guinot Wrote: Still not clear why bother installing anything on it at all.

that's the point i was trying and failing to make, mele has emmc, others do not, i dont think emmc is all that good so getting a different device that does not have it would not be a loss

i should probably start a new thread for the testing of the new box but while i wait for it to show up i did some power consumption baseline testing on my existing tv boxes
(pretty sure this is a huge factor in getting a small low power device for an HTPC)

Rocktek G2 (w/coreelec) - avg 5w (Powered by QC3.0 USB-A)
FireTV Cube Gen3 - avg 3w (Powered by QC3.0 USB-A)

actual power consumption from the wall when using the original power bricks was not tested, mostly because i didn't want to dig them out
(2023-12-20, 17:17)izprtxqkft Wrote: i should probably start a new thread for the testing of the new box

tested as much as i could think of and went in as much detail as possible

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=375492
(2023-12-20, 17:17)izprtxqkft Wrote: didn't consider form factor to be much of a game changer
Obviously depends on the name of the game. Here it is the maximum portability, put into the pocket and go.

(2023-12-20, 17:17)izprtxqkft Wrote: it's small vs tiny
Not only this. It is also fan vs. fanless.
(2024-01-15, 11:58)guinot Wrote: Obviously depends on the name of the game. Here it is the maximum portability, put into the pocket and go.
are you also going to put a display, power supply and remote control in that pocket and live with just the media you pre-copied to the device though?

if you want a device that fits in your pocket all you need is a cellphone

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quieter4C best box for the price of 2023?0