Kodi Community Forum
OS X Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: OS X Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds (/showthread.php?tid=148243)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - TheShoe - 2013-03-18

(2013-03-18, 00:32)Memphiz Wrote: We don't have any control over hdmi - its all abstracted into video and audio classes. So no easy fix as you might think (whyever you think that...).

Here is an interesting twist:

I played an mkv with h264 video and pcm audio over hdmi and it played perfectly.

I then watched another mkv with h264 video and flac audio and it foze at the usual time we are all discussing.

Perhaps the issue could be in ffmpeg (i assume that is what is being used by xbmc) and flac decoding?

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - malebron - 2013-03-25

Big thanks to everyone working to fix this!

I'm also experiencing this issue (freeze after 46mins) on my 2012 Mac Mini (10.8.2), HDMI to reciever.

I had hoped it would be resolved in 12.1, and the reason I'm posting now (and I have tried to read through the whole thread, and I don't think this has been commented on before), is that the problem is actually worse in 12.1. In 12.0 I was able to simply stop and restart playback, but in 12.1 this returns me to the "frozen" state. Now I have to close and restart XBMC to resume normal playback.

Maybe that's a clue for someone...

Also: This may or may not be related, but I found myself having to adjust the audio offset in 12.0 far more often than 11.0 - and it is, if anything, even worse in 12.1

(Oh and the audio 2.0 channel tweak fixed the "failure to start" problem, but not this one).

Wishing you success very soon!

EDIT: One last observation: After writing the above I reverted back to 12.0 and the first thing I played did not freeze at 46mins, as before ...it froze at 1hr 2mins 8 seconds!

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - The_Hun - 2013-03-29

Ok, Well hopefully this will help someone out! I was able to watch a ZERO DARK THIRTY yesterday which is a 2:30hr movie without 1 glitch in the audio and no video stuttering! I will list what my options and setups are, and hopefully if you guys can match yours as close as possible you will get the same results! Here goes:

Yamaha Receiver set to "STRAIGHT" mode.

Macbook Pro: Audio/MIDI Setup set at HDMI 2 Channel output

XBMC SYSTEM/Settings/System/Audio Output:
Output: HDMI
Config: 2.0
Boost: CHECKED
Output to All: UNCHECKED
DD (AC3): CHECKED
DTS: CHECKED
Multichannel LPCM: UNCHECKED
Audio Output Device: DEFAULT
Play GUI: UNCHECKED

Once The Movie is Playing Click the Audio settings button and try:

Audio Offset: 0.00
Output Stere: UNCHECKED
Audio Output: HDMI

Than for the heck of it:
XBMC SYSTEM/Settings/Video/Playback:
Play Next Auto: CHECKED
Render: AUTO
Allow Hardware Accel: CHECKED
Adjust Display: UNCHECKED
Sync Playback: UNCHECKED
Allow Error: NONE
Display 4:3: NORMAL
Activate Tele: UNCHECKED
Scale Tele: UNCHECKED

Well guys try those out and let me know if it works for you. Hopefully it does!

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - TheShoe - 2013-03-29

(2013-03-29, 16:49)The_Hun Wrote: Ok, Well hopefully this will help someone out! I was able to watch a ZERO DARK THIRTY yesterday which is a 2:30hr movie without 1 glitch in the audio and no video stuttering! I will list what my options and setups are, and hopefully if you guys can match yours as close as possible you will get the same results! Here goes:

Yamaha Receiver set to "STRAIGHT" mode.

Macbook Pro: Audio/MIDI Setup set at HDMI 2 Channel output

XBMC SYSTEM/Settings/System/Audio Output:
Output: HDMI
Config: 2.0
Boost: CHECKED
Output to All: UNCHECKED
DD (AC3): CHECKED
DTS: CHECKED
Multichannel LPCM: UNCHECKED
Audio Output Device: DEFAULT
Play GUI: UNCHECKED

Once The Movie is Playing Click the Audio settings button and try:

Audio Offset: 0.00
Output Stere: UNCHECKED
Audio Output: HDMI

Than for the heck of it:
XBMC SYSTEM/Settings/Video/Playback:
Play Next Auto: CHECKED
Render: AUTO
Allow Hardware Accel: CHECKED
Adjust Display: UNCHECKED
Sync Playback: UNCHECKED
Allow Error: NONE
Display 4:3: NORMAL
Activate Tele: UNCHECKED
Scale Tele: UNCHECKED

Well guys try those out and let me know if it works for you. Hopefully it does!

Nope. I guess if you want lossy audio, sure.

I have FLAC encoded lossless decoded to PCM and output over HDMI to my receiver. Freezes every time.

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - The_Hun - 2013-03-29

I am not suggesting this as the be all end all fix... I am suggesting this for people who at least want to get through a movie without it screwing up. Believe me I am eagerly waiting a new proper xbmc release to fix it

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - Mistabowjangles - 2013-03-31

To add to the thread, I possibly have the most underspec'd compared to what I'm reading. I have a 6 year old MacBook Core Duo 2.0GHZ; OS=Snow Leopard

My audio is also a little more complicated. I use Airfoil to wrap XBMC and use Airport Express to stream to my main dedicated Audio setup Krell/ Dynaudio. I then offset all XBMC audio by about 1.8 seconds to compensate for the encryption. It works fantastically well, recommend it for those with cabling issues.

Although my XBMC (Frodo 12.1) setup leans more too music, I have watched upwards of 40 movies using it and last night was the first time I found the setup to enter into slo-mo and stay there, but not on account of CPU overload. Checking Keyboard O, showed CPU at 7%. and frame rate a similar number and no audio as with everybody else. Audio is set at 2.1

Now I was watching a long movie in 720P H264 and AAC, (this setup can't really cope with 1080 16:9), and mine occurred some 2 hours and 4mins and 20 secs in; which seems to correlate with at least one other in this thread. My immediate thought was a RAM/ caching issue i.e some kind of buffer was now full. The one thing I would add, the scene was about to enter/ had just started a really CPU stressful time, but gave no impression it was struggling. So perhaps it hit a limit and then never recovered and sat in this safe mode? Ordinarily it jerks and drops a frame or two!!

To be brutally honest the film wasn't that great so any tinkering i.e setting the audio to 2.0 will be done for my next viewing, and will post my progress.

Without question XBMC is a superb product, and I'm sure the community is incredibly grateful for all the effort the guys put in, even the ones who seem to be quite negative are perhaps just losing sight a little bit. So keep up the great work and I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.

Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - Memphiz - 2013-03-31

2.1 doesn't sound right for sou setup anyways - no?

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - Mistabowjangles - 2013-03-31

(2013-03-31, 14:50)Memphiz Wrote: 2.1 doesn't sound right for sou setup anyways - no?

Possibly quite right, but as the audio was fixed in 12.1 (from just coming out one channel) 2.1 vs 2 had no perceivable audio difference and came as default so I stayed with it

Do you believe this will fix it?

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - Fredrik M - 2013-03-31

I did not notice this problem with my old set up, a late 2009 Mac Mini 2.66 GHz with 4 GB ram and xbmc 12.0 but i do have it with my new set up. That is a brand new mac mini 2.6 GHz i7 with 8 GB ram and xbmc 12.1. I have found out that when the stutter starts and i change the sound setting from hdmi to optical the stutter stops. I can then change it back to hdmi and continue to watch the movie so this seems to be related to the issue where Frodo doesn't even start with some sound settings. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159702

Edit: This could also be related to the HDMI sound output, on my old computer i used the optical output and never had this issue.

Does everyone with this problem use HDMI sound out?

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - kevinkelm - 2013-04-01

Not helpful I know but I also get freezing after 46 minutes on a mac mini. XBMC 12.1 wouldn't recover without a restart. Went back to 12.0 but it still freezes.

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - The_Hun - 2013-04-01

Any body actually try the settings I've posted above on page 22?

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - kevinkelm - 2013-04-02

The only thing that works for me is switching the output to optical instead of HDMI. I'm not sure if this means I am loosing surround sound though.

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - Prime - 2013-04-02

Ran into this for the first time last night. In retrospect, I think its the first time I've tried to watch a Movie that's not encoded in DTS, DTS-HD, or AC3 since installing 12.1. It seems that my DTS playback and AC3 Playback is not an issue. Only AAC. Also have made it past the 46 minute mark with Mp3 2-Channel audio. Since AC3 and DTS are straight passthrough, it seems to have something to do with the audio decoding that must occur for AAC.

That being said, ever since 12.0 I have had that video stutter for the first 2-3 seconds of any file that has multichannel audio. After that initial stutter w/ no audio, it kicks in just fine and the video catches up. But until last night, I've never seen a movie that just dropped to that state in the middle.

Setup:
MacMini 2010
2.4Ghz C2D
16GB Ram
HDMI out to NAD T757 Reciever
HDMI from reciever to LG Plasma
Audio Options:
AC3
DTS
Mch LPCM
All checked

5.1 speaker layout
Audio output device: HDMI

Playback Source is a FW-800 Connected Drobo.

File in question was a 720p MKV w/ 5.1-Channel AAC Audio.

Not knowing what had happened I first attempted to simply
restart the movie. With that having no effect, I restarted XBMC, restarted the movie (working audio), and skipped forward to where it dropped which was about an hour in. It played for another 15-20 minutes and did it again.

I will keep an eye on other issues moving forward.

(2013-04-02, 00:45)kevinkelm Wrote: The only thing that works for me is switching the output to optical instead of HDMI. I'm not sure if this means I am loosing surround sound though.

Are you just selecting the option but still getting audio through your HDMI or are you actually switching to a Toslink cable for your output?

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - chicowoodhill - 2013-04-02

(2013-04-02, 00:45)kevinkelm Wrote: The only thing that works for me is switching the output to optical instead of HDMI. I'm not sure if this means I am loosing surround sound though.

This is a fix that works for me. I'm not sure what I'm giving up by using this (if anything) but it lets me use XBMC without the stutter interruption.

To answer the question as to whether selecting "Optical" is for use with Toslink or HDMI, the answer is HDMI. The A/V link is via Thunderbolt to HDMI, with no optical cable, only HDMI. But the selection in the XBMC audio menu is "Optical". That stops the annoying stutter problem, and yet maintains full 5.1 surround. Again, not sure if I'm giving anything up by doing this, but it works for me. Nevertheless, it would be great to see the issue resolved.

RE: Since Frodo b2 Playback stutter after 1 hour, 2 minutes and 8 seconds - dfish3d - 2013-04-02

I just tried setting my output (Mac Mini HDMI -> Onkyo Receiver) to optical as well, and watched a previously-always-hitching movie late last night. I stopped the movie at 1:15:00 when it didn't hitch. I'll continue to test this out this week. Interestingly, when choosing Optical/Coax, XBMC greys out the "LPCM capable receiver" option in audio, but still manages to pass LPCM audio from bluray rips.

This has been the only way I've been able to watch anything longer than a TV show (aside from DTS audio, which has never frozen) in Frodo since the betas started coming out.