Replacing video card
outatouch0 Wrote:What do you mean by this Beer? I do not like the ff and rwd experience I have w XBMC but I attribute it to LAN lag. Maybe it is my GT520?

I stream from my NAS and I don't get LAG. Here's a short video I made :

Nvidia 9600M GS, streamed from NAS on a standard ethernet, under Linux
Balinus Wrote:I stream from my NAS and I don't get LAG. Here's a short video I made :

might be laptop specific Tongue
eskro Wrote:might be laptop specific Tongue

Nah, it's Linux specific, as I get macroblocking in Vista with DXVA2.
Balinus Wrote:Nah, it's Linux specific, as I get macroblocking in Vista with DXVA2.

yepp! i replied on your other thread!
Balinus Wrote:I stream from my NAS and I don't get LAG. Here's a short video I made :

I stream over the my network from my unRaid server with no issues at the moment. I highly doubt a GT520 will cause lag issues when streaming media. I'll let you know if it does though.
Media server: unRaid 5.0.5 | CPU: Intel-Core i3-4360 | MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F | RAM: 16 GB Crucial ECC | CASE: PC-A77F | HD Cages: iStarUSA BPU-350SATA | PSU: Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3 | HDD: WD Red | 25 TB array -WD Red 4TB Parity | 500GB WD Black Cache| Build Details
prongato- have you try this "post #12" with your hd5750 card?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:prongato- have you try this "post #12" with your hd5750 card?

Yeah, I've played with that before already and again this time. My issue was that, when running the on board video (intel core i3) I didn't even have to mess with it. It's almost like ATI gets too deep into settings or can't get things figured out on their own.

I use a lacie blue eye pro to calibrate all my monitors/tvs. I'm very, very picky on everything being calibrated correctly on my displays. On anything that's not running windows or my hardware doesn't work on, I use filters combined with SMPTE color bars to calibrate. I still have the first pressing of Digital Video Essentials and AVIA guide to home theater. Big Grin
Media server: unRaid 5.0.5 | CPU: Intel-Core i3-4360 | MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F | RAM: 16 GB Crucial ECC | CASE: PC-A77F | HD Cages: iStarUSA BPU-350SATA | PSU: Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3 | HDD: WD Red | 25 TB array -WD Red 4TB Parity | 500GB WD Black Cache| Build Details
prongATO Wrote:Yeah, I've played with that before already and again this time. My issue was that, when running the on board video (intel core i3) I didn't even have to mess with it. It's almost like ATI gets too deep into settings or can't get things figured out on their own.

I use a lacie blue eye pro to calibrate all my monitors/tvs. I'm very, very picky on everything being calibrated correctly on my displays. On anything that's not running windows or my hardware doesn't work on, I use filters combined with SMPTE color bars to calibrate. I still have the first pressing of Digital Video Essentials and AVIA guide to home theater. Big Grin
if you're that picky as you stated, i'm not sure that the gt520 will magically make everything look good to your eyes either. throughout the years, i used both ati and nvidia cards. to get it to my liking, i have to do some adjustments to both ati and nvidia cards. i just think that you have a great ati card, and you should be able to make it work. unless the card is defected, which i doubt it.

anyway, good luck with the gt520!
Installed the 520 today. One thing of note, for some reason the nvidia drivers like to crush blacks when you have a display connected to the HDMI connector. It's necessary to edit an .ini file before you install the drivers to get the black range set correctly. (Blacks aren't actually black, they're more of a grey and colors are washed out) Once the .ini file is edited with your monitor specific settings everything looks great!

I must have had a faulty ATI card or driver problem. Once I installed the nvidia card everything looked MUCH better. With the ATI card the spinning disc displayed by cdArt manager was choppy as heck. With the nvidia it's smooth.

I think the 520 is a great choice for an HTPC setup. Low power, fanless and has enough horsepower to do everything XBMC needs.
prongATO Wrote:I think the 520 is a great choice for an HTPC setup. Low power, fanless and has enough horsepower to do everything XBMC needs.

i agree too!
as long as your not into 1080i/PVR stuff...
eskro Wrote:i agree too!
as long as your not into 1080i/PVR stuff...

Why? The GT520 is capable of all the advanced deinterlacing just like the GT430.
prongATO Wrote:I must have had a faulty ATI card or driver problem. Once I installed the nvidia card everything looked MUCH better. With the ATI card the spinning disc displayed by cdArt manager was choppy as heck. With the nvidia it's smooth.
you must have a defected ati card, because the same catalyst work fine with my ati cards. i tried both gt430 and hd5570 in one of my htpc, and the overall playback quality is identical on my hdtv screen.

oh, one other thing. did you select "enforce smooth video payback" in the catalyst and xbmc? to me, catalyst panel give user more options than nvidia control center. in my kids pc's, i preferred installing nvidia cards for them and in my pc's, i preferred ati card.

i'm glad that the gt520 works out for you!
So prongATO with your new Nvidia GPU now when you FF or Reverse a vid do you get macroblocking with dxva2 enabled?
outatouch0 Wrote:What do you mean by this Beer? I do not like the ff and rwd experience I have w XBMC but I attribute it to LAN lag. Maybe it is my GT520?

It's not LAN lag... hence I tried it directly from the same pc. I think it's a Win7 and Nvidia driver problem.

Because everyone else who uses ATI + windows 7 don't have that problem.
ion_man Wrote:Why? The GT520 is capable of all the advanced deinterlacing just like the GT430.

its been said that the GT520 might struggle in the deinterlacing department
becuz it has less Stream Cores to facilitate the job!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replacing video card0