New HTPC Build
Hi guys,
I'm new to the world of XBMC but have been lurking the forums for a while now with the aim of building an HTPC to put XBMC on.

I am finally going to bite the bullet and buy the following:

CPU: Intel E6700 3.2GHz 2MB Cache
RAM: 2GB DDR3
VGA: Palit GT520 1024MB
MOBO: ASROCK G41MH/USB3 R2.0
CASE: Techsolo TC-020 mATX Case

Firstly, I'm not sure what OS should I install on the new system and am also not sure whether to buy an SSD or USB3 Flash Drive, or connect a 2.5" 320GB Hitachi I have lying around. I have an unRAID system which will be connected with GigE so am not sure if I should store the XBMC database on it.

Does SSD only affect boot-up times, or it also affects the user interface when scrolling etc? Would storing the XBMC database on my GigE server provide similar results to SSD or perhaps the 2.5" mechanical drive?

I'm not planning to do anything rather than XBMC (no video encoding, gaming etc), so would it be a good idea to use OpenELEC on a USB3.0 flash drive? What about the location of the XBMC database then: should I still store the database on the unRAID Server using GigE?

Thank you for your time!
If your not planning to do anything rather than XBMC,

then openELEC is your best choice,,,

Run it from a USB flash drive,,,

Get a pre-built system like the ZOTAC ND22....

add at least 1GB 204Pin DDR3 1066 of ram to the ZOTAC and thats it,,,,

XBMC database is contained on the USB Flash drive,,,

and you'll be able to stream your movies from your unRAID server,,,,
Honestly, I wouldn't buy any LGA775 parts new (unless they were 50-70% off) - if you have them lying around doing nothing then by all means.
Thanks for your reply eskro! I'd rather get a custom-build mATX system than a ZOTAC for various reasons.... I live in Malta and we have very high temperatures all year round, so I prefer to avoid fanless components!

So you're suggesting that I use openELEC from a USB flash drive... flash drives are rather slow so would I experience interface slow downs when scrolling etc. (maybe on Aeon MQ2, considering my current hardware).

That's why I am considering storing the XBMC database on my unRAID server as it is GigE, to avoid using the flash drive for meta-data, thumbnails etc.
live4ever Wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't buy any LGA775 parts new (unless they were 50-70% off) - if you have them lying around doing nothing then by all means.

Why is that exactly? I know it is not the most modern technology but the listed specs add up to 186EUR (267USD), which compared to other computer part prices in Europe is kind of a bargain. Also, the E6700 is a very good CPU, much better than the E3400.. with just an increase of 15 EUR (21USD)
well, Intel E6700 is pricier then a G620, makes no sense....
eskro Wrote:well, Intel E6700 is pricier then a G620, makes no sense....

I already did some research about the G620, but currently the E6700 is 20EUR (28USD) cheaper here, and the performance difference is insignificant for my needs.

My main concern is whether I will experience UI slow downs when scrolling through the library etc. due to the slow flash drive used for openELEC, and whether putting the XBMC database centralised on my unRAID server be a better alternative.
darrenscerri Wrote:I live in Malta and we have very high temperatures all year round, so I prefer to avoid fanless components!

the ZOTAC is not FanLess...
it has a fan Tongue

its also widely used as HTPC!

its dual-Core CELERON CPU is perfect to use with heavy skins like MQ2...

by the way, MQ3 is out, and it weights 47MB rather then 185MB,,,
but its still beta and its for XBMC Pre-EDEN for only for now,,,
its a complete re-write of the skin,,
all bloated stuff is thrown away,,,,

i'd definitely check the prices of the ZOTAC ND22...

also, i dont know about the database on your server,,,
i know some use Mysql databases but,
usually, the database is meant to live on your OS drive,,,
Haha yes it has a fan but it's still mITX (less airflow) xD

Still, in total, the ZOTAC would cost me about 250EUR (have to buy from Amazon), which is more than the mentioned build, with a lot less performance.

Last question, will using openELEC on a flash drive result in slow user interface response in contrast with SSD (due to fetching meta-data, thumbnails etc.), as the database resides in the flash drive?

Thanks for your replies eskro, I have read a lot of your threads which helped me a lot!
darrenscerri Wrote:Last question, will using openELEC on a flash drive result in slow user interface response in contrast with SSD (due to fetching meta-data, thumbnails etc.), as the database resides in the flash drive?

I tried XBMC Live on a USB flash drive and the UI was slower than directly from my HDD with Linux mint + XBMC. It was USB2 though.
XBMC Live is heavier then OpenELEC....
I've been thinking.... would I be better off in terms of performance and efficiency with a LGA1155 (G620) system rather than the LGA755 (E6700), or the difference is simply insignificant for XBMC?
if the price diff isnt astronomic,
i'd definitely go with an LGA1155 build,,,
at least its up to date technology,,,

check CPU benchmark of E600 --> Here
check CPU benchmark of G620 --> Here

CLear Winner? Smile
darrenscerri Wrote:I've been thinking.... would I be better off in terms of performance and efficiency with a LGA1155 (G620) system rather than the LGA755 (E6700), or the difference is simply insignificant for XBMC?
The G620 will use much less power than the E6700 and with the G620 you'll have to get a LGA1155 MB which means you can upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it comes out if you want/need to.

Plus now that it looks like the SB macroblocking issue has been resolved you could try using the on-chip GPU. If you're not satisfied with it's performance then you can get the GT520 like you had planned.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
this group might be your best choice-

1. SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B or APEX MI-008
2. Intel BOXDH67CFB3 LGA 1155
3. Silenx IXP7409 iXtrema Pro Fan
4. LG Black 12X BD-ROM
5. HP OEM Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control
6. SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or
PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430
7. Intel Pentium G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz
8. Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
9. Corsair Force CSSD-F40GB2-A 2.5" 40GB
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC Build0