Z68 with i3? Use onboard HDMI or standalone GPU?
rchapoteau Wrote:So wait, just so I understand, is it the chipset itself that has the trouble with 24p, or is it the integrated intel graphics that have trouble with the 24p?
It is just the iGPU portion that is affected. Basically it plays back at 24.000 fps instead of native 23.976 fps. So every 40 seconds or so you'll get a repeated frame. This means you'll have a 1/24th of a second flicker essentially every 40 seconds. MANY users report not being able to notice this issue at all. Others are driven absolutely crazy by the repeated frames. I don't have a intel chip in my HTPC so I can't tell you my own opinion.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
yeah well, i'd still stir away from problems and just use a separate GPU card,,,
what is wrong with intel gpu again? are you referring to integrated gpu? because my intel gpu work as good as my nvidia gpu and some are better. intel is in the same neighborhood as me, and i know several close friends there. i might ask those guys about it!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:what is wrong with intel gpu again? are you referring to integrated gpu?

Many things are wrong with Intel GPUs. Where to begin?

1. The worst drivers from the Big 3. Period. I don't care what OS. Even in OSX Intel drivers suck.

2. Due to bad drivers, Intel GPUs have terrible 24p support.

3. Because the Intel GPU division is such a failure, they had to license PowerVR decoding technology to keep up with the whole HTPC 1080p thing. PowerVR is also what is in cell phones. Therefore Intel GPUs have the decoding robustness of a cell phone. Meanwhile Nvidia and 6xxx AMD GPUs use their shaders to have decoding on the level of a CPU in terms of robustness.

4. Intel GPUs always share memory, while Nvidia and AMD GPUs often have dedicated VRAM. Not so big with decoding (more game playing), but the above point is why Intel's decoding sucks.

5. Intel barely upgrades capability from one generation to the next. Intel's current best GPU is worse than AMD/Nvidia's low-end from two years ago.

There is five. I can keep going if you want, seeing how I didn't mention that Intel's failure as a GPU department (aka having to license PowerVR technologies instead of making that technology in house) has completely screwed their Linux drivers.

Ok, I found my previous two rants about Intel. Both still mostly apply today:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=681...stcount=21

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=682...stcount=28

i'll email my friends at intel to see if any of them work in intel gpu department. if they do, i'll mention these stuffs to them. thanks.
i emailed three friends at intel and non of them work at gpu department. all of them work at cpu departments. if they have so much problem with gpu stuff, maybe they should stick to cpu business instead!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Z68 with i3? Use onboard HDMI or standalone GPU?0