XBMC on ATV2
Ok, so forgive me on my newbishness on this. Traditionally I have run XBMC on 2 HTPCs in the house. But for a variety of reasons, I'm looking at making 2 other TVs also run XBMC.

Here's my current set up:

HTPC #1 (server) Full i5 PC in a SilverStone case, serves as my main media server, has roughly 18TB online via an external sata enclosure. Uses MySQL for database.

HTPC #2 (pc) An older pentium PC that runs in the basement, connects to #1 via a wired connection and uses MySQL for the database

For the 2 new TVs, I am considering the ATV. It is my understanding that a jailbroken ATV running XBMC will stream full 1080 content just fine over a wireless connection. I have a wireless repeater in the house, so connection strength shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone have thoughts on this plan? Pitfalls I should watch out for?

Thanks!
AppleTV1 is fine for 1080P, yes,
however, since the hardware isnt super strong,
certain skins might run not as fluid as you'd like....
and same for browsing through huge music or movie collections...
eskro Wrote:AppleTV1 is fine for 1080P, yes,
however, since the hardware isnt super strong,
certain skins might run not as fluid as you'd like....
and same for browsing through huge music or movie collections...

I read somewhere the ATV2 + XBMC would still display 1080P? Is this incorrect?

Nevermind, I see - it decodes 1080 but only displays 720.
correct.. ATV2 = 720P
eskro Wrote:correct.. ATV2 = 720P

And the ATV1 required the broadcom card to display 1080... another $70 or so...
There are also issues with 60fps content..

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11710
I don't think anyone who is serious about content would consider the current AppleTV or the AppleTV 1 with the Crystal decoder.

Both are slow and pokey compared to even a very low budget PC setup. While the ATV 1 with Crystal can "play 1080P" my buddy who has one has occasional frame drops, etc, when playing full bitrate blu-ray type content.

Apple is rumored to be bringing an ATV3 type of product to market sometime next year which will likely be based on the new A5 chip and will do full 1080P and 3D, that might be the 1st one that can run XBMC acceptably.
Well, these units are not going to be the main rig in my home anyway. I've got the big HTPC for full bluray, etc. These will mostly be playing 720 and below quality content - mostly movies for the kids and tv. For less than $100 for a ATV2, I'm going to take a chance that it can be a reasonably cheap, quiet, and simple solutions for machines that aren't meant to be workhorses.
voip-ninja Wrote:.....that might be the 1st one that can run XBMC acceptably.

if you say so Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on ATV20