Gaming Vid card for HTPC
Hi all. I am building a new HTPC and would like a GPU that can playback 1080p very well, does audio via HDMI and can also do some decent gaming. My case will be able to support a full-size card and I am going with a 500W PS.

Here's what I was considering:

Galaxy GTS 450 - $60 after rebate
Sapphire Radeon 5670 - $60 after rebate

Any other suggestions? I have read that the GTS 450's have audio stuttering issues via HDMI to an HDTV. But its more powerful than the 5670.

Thanks.
Nvidia currently having microblocking when doing fast forward/rewind with hardware accelerator on. I believe the 5670 could handle what you are planning well without the macroblocking issues (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Won't be doing any hardcore gaming or needing ultra settings on everything. Just casual gaming that can do Crysis 2 on high settings for example.

Never heard of microblocking. I will have to read about it.

Thanks for the advice.
here's a chart of GPU running Crysis 2 (medium setting)

Here's another Crysis 2 benchmark
Wow. So basically I am screwed either way. FPS blows for both. Of course the GTS 450 is noticeably faster, its still lame.

Well I might need to bigger card I guess. Need to see I can get for maybe $120ish that will be better.

Any thoughts?
with some gaming in mind, you are a good candidate for this build:

Great Gift (AMD A8-3850)

here are some videos showing some games: AMD A8-3850 APU Gaming Performance Comparison and AMD A8-3850 Llano APU First Look Review.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
is you go ~$120'ish,
go for the SAPPHIRE HD6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX with Eyefinity
Price after rebate: $129.99
bluray Wrote:with some gaming in mind, you are a good candidate for this build:

Great Gift (AMD A8-3850)

here are some videos showing some games: AMD A8-3850 APU Gaming Performance Comparison and AMD A8-3850 Llano APU First Look Review.

According to this http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-...,2872.html

The GTS 450 offers almost 300% better frame rate than the A8-3850.
or for $10 more,
PowerColor AX6870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814131378
$139.99 after mail-in rebate
ghart999 Wrote:According to this http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-...,2872.html

The GTS 450 offers almost 300% better frame rate than the A8-3850.
yes, the gts 450 will trump hd6550d. but it's depend on what type of game you have in mind. for a decent game, hd6550d should be fine. it should be able to playback 1080p with dts-hd and truehd with ease!

oh, nvidia might run into macroblocking during ff/rw.
So with something like the A8-3850 how does this work with the GPU built in? Does the onboard video of a compatible mobo somehow receive all the processing power from the GPU? Or do the mobos just have a dead vid card that just does pass-through or something?

Also what is this macroblocking? I need to read about it. I assume the Radeons don't have this issue?
This is macroblocking.

But if you're like me who doesn't use FF and RW, macroblocking isn't a problem.
ghart999 Wrote:So with something like the A8-3850 how does this work with the GPU built in? Does the onboard video of a compatible mobo somehow receive all the processing power from the GPU? Or do the mobos just have a dead vid card that just does pass-through or something?
amd a8-3850 with its built-in hd6550d will work with any of these "fm1 mobo". all you have to do is this- htpc>avr>hdtv via 2 hdmi cables, and you'll have the best video and audio. oh, you still can upgrade any discrete gpu with a8-3850 in the future too. but i doubt that you'll need any other gpu other than hd6550d.

ghart999 Wrote:Also what is this macroblocking? I need to read about it. I assume the Radeons don't have this issue?
everything scrambles when ff/rw!
bluray Wrote:yes, the gts 450 will trump hd6550d. but it's depend on what type of game you have in mind. for a decent game, hd6550d should be fine. it should be able to playback 1080p with dts-hd and truehd with ease!

oh, nvidia might run into macroblocking during ff/rw.

Yes, depends heavily on the type and setting of the game. But Crysis has been known to be one of the most resource heavy game out there. So playing it with all settings set to high would need a higher GPU. I would suggest going with the 6870 that eskro suggested.

Here's more GPU gaming benchmark based on 3D mark 11
WhiteLighter Wrote:Yes, depends heavily on the type and setting of the game. But Crysis has been known to be one of the most resource heavy game out there. So playing it with all settings set to high would need a higher GPU. I would suggest going with the 6870 that eskro suggested.

Here's more GPU gaming benchmark based on 3D mark 11
since he is only interesting in doing some game, i doubt that he is into hardcore game. as you can see in his other thread, he is very selective and saving in mind. he listed gts450 in his list, and $470 of total build. i doubt that he'll need a $140 gpu to go along with his $50 cpu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gaming Vid card for HTPC0