Win Border around hi def media
I have a small issue. I'm running xbmc 11 eden rc2, amd 3870k all the latest radeon drivers. My tv is a samsung lcd 1080p.

When I play high def tv media (720p tv rips so far) there is a small black border about 1cm x 1cm around the edge of the picture. All normal media 480p etc plays fine and fills the screen. Not sure what i'm doing wrong here. I'm a new user so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction of having the media fill the screen completely without being distorted.

I have the resolution set to 1920x1080, it blows some of the desktop off the screen so i've adjusted the overscan to scale it down to what appears to be normal.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.
It's probably switching resolutions and you've calibrated one of them but not the other. While an HD movie is playing, switch back to the UI and go into screen calibration.

Also, check your TV settings: A modern 1080p TV should not require any calibration at all - check that it's on "Just Scan" or similar.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your response. I've tried doing the calibration in xbmc when the movie is playing. It seems to be set up correctly, even if i enlarge it the border remains.

I adjusted the overscan in the ati catalyst application, or the normal windows desktop is off the screen around the edges. The tv 'psize' is also set to 16:9 on the tv.
Issue seems to be with the refresh rate. When i have the setting match to playback enabled it will fill the screen. It changes the refresh rate to the tv to 24hz for the high def shows. Only issue now is the audio is somewhat out of sync, playback a little choppy sometimes.
DXVA enabled? Debug log?
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
@Goulet- you can try these settings:

1. In Windows 7 display screen resolution- select recommended. If it doesn't fill up the entire screen, you can use CCC uderscan/overscan scaling options to fill it
2. In XBMC, do as shown in my screen shots below:

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks, i'll give those settings a shot. I think part of the issue is when the windows 7 desktop is set to 1920x1080 the icons and some of the taskbar is blown off the screen. So I used the overscan to 'shrink' it. Thus when in xbmc the content is showing bars?
Tried those settings to no avail. I'm at a loss. I've tried all the settings and nothing seems to work. I have the screen setup properly, windows and EVERYTHING else displays properly with the exception of high def video. Even streamed on IE9 from youtube at 1080p there is a frame (even though its small) around the video. Included a few images. If anyone has a suggestion i'm more than happy to try. My hardware is AMD A8-3870, connected via hdmi.

Even on youtube:

I'm thinking this is a driver setting? I have absolutely no idea.... any suggestions would be great.

@Goulet99-
Is there AVR in between HTPC and HDTV? If there is, you can set video to pass-thru. Is your HDTV a Samsung LED? Some Samsung LED have Auto Motion Plus option. You can try to set Auto Motion Plus to active. It'll automatically adjust refresh rate to the highest rate.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
No AVR in between. I'm convinced its a driver setting. As it happens in youtube... and XBMC. Everything else works fine. Windows desktop is covering the whole screen. To correct my previous post the refresh rate change does nothing. Border still remains. TV is samsung LCD. Auto motion plus i've tried on and off. No difference.
The GUI is being rendered fullscreen by the looks, so it's nothing to do with calibration. Have you tried the various zoom modes out?
If i put the TV to 16:9 it will disappear. Is that the zoom you are referring too?

That's as good as its going to get I think, pending any other suggestions.
Doesnt look like an driver issue because you have the OSD on the black border.
I had the Border when I didnt set Overscan for every refreshrate in the Driver but I think you shouldnt see the OSD there if thats the case.
Yeah i'm just mystified as to why something ripped in 720p would have a border. But anything ripped normally is displayed fine.
If you alter the TV surely you're losing some of the UI, no?

You want to mess around with the zoom modes in XBMC (z)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Border around hi def media0