New Build - Experts advice requested
Hi All

Have been reading the stickies and posts over the past three weeks and have finally taken the plunge to purchasing my first HTPC (converting from a pre-build WDTV!), not sure why I have not done it sooner.

Anyway, I have purchased the following to start with:

[CPU] Intel i3 2105 3.1 Ghz

I am now looking at the next component, originally based on the information read I was going to get the AsRock H67M-ITX/HT, however I believe this may be a USA model? So I have found the following, please can someone confirm that this would be the sensible choice, or if not feel free to provide the expert knowledge:

[MOBO]ASROCK Z68M-ITX/HT Motherboard mini-ITX Socket 1155

My aim:

Build a HTPC that will be connected to my amp via an optical cable and HDMI, the amp will then deliver the DTS, dolby sound etc.

The build must be capable of playing 720p, 1080p and blu rays. In time I would then like to explore all of the options XBMC and the HTPC model has to offer, and therefore I am attempting to build a stronger HTPC that I may need at this moment in time.

Once I have confirmed the [MOBO] I will be looking at a small SSD (media hosted elsewhere), [RAM], [Case], [PSU] and I think that is it.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks
z@1nc
A guy in this thread "Windows My new HTPC for XBMC" is building the same HTPC as you.......and there is a complete list of components in the thread!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Ok, so I have now narrowed down the search for parts to the following:

[RAM]
corsair-ddr3-xms3-classic-4GB
xms3-memory-kit-4GB

[BD]
LG blu-ray-drive-bh10ls38

[SSD]
60gb-corsair-force-series-3
crucial-realssd-m4-25-ssd

[CASE]

This is one of the hardest choices for this kind of a build. I have built many desktop pc's and the case is normally easy! I have found the following Lian Li cases, but these come with a price tag:

Lian Li PC-Q07B
Lian Li PC-Q07B
Lian Li PC-V352B
Lian Li PC-Q09FB
LIAN LI PC-V351B

I love the idea of the Antec ISK 300-65 with the 90w power brick:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-isk-300-65-black-mini-itx-steel-esata-2x-usb-20-65w-psu-2x-25-slim-optical-bays

My only concern is with the tight fitting parts and the slight modifications to the case that I read in recent posts.

The following two cases come with a power supply which is maybe more cost efficient

Sugo SG06b
Sugo SG05b

But then again you don't get to choose a quiet PSU I suppose!

One last factor is the cooling element. I know that the following cooler is recommended:

Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile CPU Cooler

However I have had some amazing success with the Corsair H80 water cooler in my desktop so may also look at:

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H40

Considering the CPU will be expected to do both the CPU and GPU work in this build it is important to look after it. Let me know your thoughts.

I would appreciate some of your expert advice to help me narrow the choices down.

Thanks
z@n1c
why the concern on the Antec ISK 300-65?

i mean, its all explained and shown how to proceed.
(2012-04-15, 13:04)zanic Wrote: The following two cases come with a power supply which is maybe more cost efficient

Sugo SG06b
Sugo SG05b

But then again you don't get to choose a quiet PSU I suppose!
Thanks
z@n1c
If you are not a handyman, stay away from Antec ISK 300-65 because you will not be able to install aftermarket CPU heatsink/fan without modification (cutting/triming).

The Silverstone with 300W PSU got my vote. It's high quality case with high quality PSU and fan in it. With proper configuration, the PSU and case fan will be very silent. With AsRock mobo, you can set CPU to "Cool ‘n’ Quiet" in AsRock Bios Advance tab and set the CPU operating temperature to 50 degrees in Bios Hardware/Health Monitor tab....and you can set both CPU and case fans to level 5.......it'll be very quiet!

Hi Guys

I'll save the thanks and appreciation for after the build is complete. I have gone with the following build and cannot wait for the parts to arrive, although two items remain outstanding:

[CPU] Intel i3 2105
[CASE] Antec ISK 300-65
[POWER BRICK] 90w
[MOBO] ASROCK Z68M-ITX/HT
[CIR INTERSET] N/R At this stage I believe
[REMOTE] Included with MOBO bundle
[RAM] Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 Memory
[CPU COOLER] T.B.C
[CASE FAN] T.B.C
[SSD] T.B.C

Ok the last part I require help on at this stage is the CPU cooler, so I have read so much and now need to know what is the best route and why. The choices for the CPU cooler as I see it are as follows:

1. Standard i3 CPU cooler
2. Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
3. Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B Low Profile CPU Cooler, SCBSK-2100

I realise that with choice 2 I do not need to cut the case, this is a bonus. However what more does choice 3 offer? And in addition, I did read that there the Scythe was inferior to the Intel standard cpu cooler, surely thats not true?

Please help me out.

Lastly, I know beer started the standard 80mm fan does the trick, however I noticed there is space for one more 80mm fan, should I add one? Specifically the Noctua NF-R8 80mm?

Thanks again
z@n1c
your motherboard hasnt been tested in the ISK300-65 case.

depending on the CPU socket position, u might have to cut the drive cage here

to fit the SCYTHE cooler.
The mobo looks identical to the asrock h67m-itx. I would have got the h67 but it proved difficult to purchase in the uk whereas the z68 was available
(2012-04-22, 22:38)zanic Wrote: [CPU] Intel i3 2105
[CASE] Antec ISK 300-65
[POWER BRICK] 90w
[MOBO] ASROCK Z68M-ITX/HT
[CIR INTERSET] N/R At this stage I believe
[REMOTE] Included with MOBO bundle
[RAM] Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 Memory
[CPU COOLER] T.B.C
[CASE FAN] T.B.C
[SSD] T.B.C
Excellent choice......you'll enjoy the faster speed of 3.1GHz Intel SandyBridge and HD3000 should fulfill all your playback.....this CPU cooler should work in there- Scythe SCKZT-1000 80mm Kozuti CPU Cooler.

You can simply try to use stock cooler first. You can set CPU to "Cool ‘n’ Quiet" in AsRock Bios Advance tab and set the CPU operating temperature to 50 degrees in Bios Hardware/Health Monitor tab....and you can set both CPU and case fans to level 5 or lower.......you might not need another CPU cooler afterward!
avoid the Scythe SCKZT-1000 for now.
your stock i3 cooler is just as quiet using fan control.
What's the reason behind remaining with stock - I thought scythe = ftw :-)
well, i wouldn't say FTW on 80mm fans...
but thats me.
(2012-04-22, 23:28)zanic Wrote: What's the reason behind remaining with stock - I thought scythe = ftw :-)
You can give the stock CPU a try first.....with the fan configuration in my post #9, it might be very quiet w/ stock CPU cooler......

Hi all,

I am now in the process of building the HTPC and enjoying every moment - at this point anyway. However I have one slight issue. I bouth an additonal 80mm fan, Noctua NF-R8 to accompany the Antec 80MM fan. The antec fan is 3 pin the Noctua fan is 4 pin. However the MOBO only has 1 3 pin fan header!.....How can I connect the 4 pin fan?

The Noctua fan did come with a Y-Cable (NA-YC1) however I am not sure if this work work?

Any advice?
Hi all,

following on from previous post I have purchased the following cable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Converter-...392&sr=8-1

And connected the 4 pin Noctua fan to the 3 pin provided by this cable, on the understanding the fan would run at full speed. However this does not appear to be the case as the fan is blowing extremly low, I would guess 1300rpm. What have I done wrong? I would prefer the fan to work at its full.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Build - Experts advice requested0