XBMC/ATV2 monitoring&restart
Hi all,
i have network with ATV2 boxes running, mainly as XMBC-PVR frontend to live satellite tv served by tvheadend. After catching some bugs, system works acceptable, but few still some issues remain
1) XBMC sometimes hangs while playing plugins (ex. NAVI-X), remote controls doesnt work anymore and there is no way to statefully end this, except of killall -9 AppleTV. I am monitoring availability of AppleTv itself, it still lives and ofcourse killall -9 AppleTV works, but i have hard time to detect this faulty condition remotelly, which is annoying as people who do sit behind TV do not want to call me to get their box restarted. Is there some way to detect life of XBMC itself, ex. asking on local tcp/udp control port and checking if the process runs its threads correctly and its not locked on some deadly plugin ? This way i could easily identify fault condition and have it automatically restart once this freeze happens
2) Is there a way to restart XBMC directly from ATV2 ssh command line, ex. telling frontrow to execute some plugin ? (except from making it starting automatically on start by frontrow and disabling ATV2 UI, that is not wanted) .It would be nice to restart XMBC after forced restart from the frozen state
3) Can XMBC be recompiled with GDB debugging symbols and easily core-dumped/debugged on ATV2 ? I know the linux way but not quite sure how this should be performed directly on ATV2
4) Can AppleTV's itunes account be deleted from ATV2 SSH command line ? Point is to clear it up after people watching TV on public box have their accout wiped out of box, so nobody can reuse it automatically.

Many thanks for suggestions
1) create a patch that adds a watchdog

2) no, that's not possible

3) gdb attach <frontrow pid> works provided you disable frontrow's watchdog, apt-search bone for it. kill -6 will force kill and gen a crashreporter log but you need the dSym that is created when the release version is built. If you self-build, it's there.

4) unknown.

Thanks davilla, all points clear. As for 1), will check sources where this could be hooked, so far i have no good overview of internal process threading of xbmc, so will get some aid for this. Anybody who will be willing to help, ping me, many thanks !

One more for you, if you dont mind one OT, and for http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127369, because its closed. Great Work ! . Would you be SO kind to share your git repo so everybody start compiling and testing stability of this new build ? I am maintaning my own customized build, mainly to simplify access to xbmc livetv for noobs, making it usable for crowd hooked to my 400Mbits dvb-s sat streams. Apple's xcodeproj files are most wanted and changes to xbmc-pvr as well. Thanks in advance.
you will have to ask Memphiz for that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC/ATV2 monitoring&restart0