Build Advice
Hi

Ive come to the conclusion its time to replace my old, hot, noisy, aging media center.

After looking through the threads here Ive decided to replace it with a nice small nearly silent mini itx setup (Currently have a huge atx desktop setup, P4 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz CPU, GeForce 9600GT, OCZ 4GB DDR2 and Thermaltake 101 case).

Its been a while since Ive built a PC and Ive never build something this small before so i want to get it right.

Ive been looking at the following:

Case: Thermaltake VL52021N2 Element Q 220W Mini ITX Case (Not sure on case looking for similar stye with out red)
Motherboard: AsRock A75M-ITX Motherboard
CPU/iGPU: AMD Llano A6-3500 Tri-Core Processor with Integrated AMD Radeon HD, 6530D Graphics and Socket FM1
HDD: Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB M4 SSD
Memory: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 XMS3 8GB Desktop Memory (Is 8GB to much, would 4GB do?)
Optical Samsung SH-B123L 12x Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer - Retail (Already own, in current htpc)

The above costs out at £321.86 if i remove owned Blu Ray drive it cost out at £267.11 and have 4GB instead of 8GB memory £ 247.02, £250 is probably my limit but could push to £270 if need 8GB.

My current Media center will play Bly Ray discs fine without no video or audio problems and has no issues playing 720p / 1080p mkv's on my 40" Samsung Screen, the sounds outputted via SPDIF Digital Optical Cable to my Logitech z680 Speakers (DTS).

Will the above do all that my old media center does just quieter and cooler and more power efficiently Smile.

Looking forward to replies and any advise you experts can offer.
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

It may be hard but the challenge of learning something new is fun :-)
Thanks
Old newbie trying his hardest to get his head around skinning lol, expect loads of questions :-)

It seems that you are very concern about noise-

-I'm not sure how noisy is the 220W PSU in that case. The included PSU have tendency to be noisy. You can always replace it with a silent Pico PSU "picoPSU-150-XT + 150W Adapter Power Kit" and this CPU cooler "Scythe SCBSK-2100". As for the memory, 4GB is plenty for Windows 7 HTPC......you should be able to playback everything in your list with A6-3500.....

You can try everything stock first, but select "Cool N Quiet" and set fan level to 2 in AsRock bios and monitor the temp. If it is still noisy, you can do as suggested above...!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Pretty much the gold standard build on here these days so it should work great! I would suggest getting the faster 1866 memory, I've read our Llano APU's benefit from the faster memory, and who am I to argue with what I've read on the internet?
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-05-26, 22:41)Mick1152 Wrote: I would suggest getting the faster 1866 memory, I've read our Llano APU's benefit from the faster memory, and who am I to argue with what I've read on the internet?
You might have read "post #5"......this "CRUCIAL 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1866 - PC3-14900 Ballistix Tactical PC Memory Modules" will work better....you can find the entire spec on it here "Guaranteed-compatible with the ASRock A75M-ITX".....

Hi and thanks for replies

My current media center makes quite a noise and i cant watch a movie / tv show with out the constant hum of cooling fans in the background.

So this time around i made the decision to make a media center that was going to be as quiet as i could get it within my budget.

Regarding the Pico PSU-150-XT + 150W Adapter Power Kit i found a few places i could get it but the price varies.

12V 150W PicoPSU-150-XT
1x 12V 150W PicoPSU-150-XT £30.67
1x PicoPSU-150-XT Peripheral Power Cable £1.80
1x FSP 12V 12.5A 150W AC/DC Adapter - 2.5mm x 5.5mm £43.99
Total £76.46

I found it on eBay also for £53.07 PicoPSU 150w and also on Amazon for £100.25 150W Pico PSU with 150W Adapter Power Kit.

Whilst looking at some of the images for this product i noticed that they don't come with a back plate to cover the hole up where the old PSU was, is this something i would have to craft / buy?

I will probably get the SCYTHE Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B 775/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3/1155 as it looks like a better cooler from the stock supplied ones, my only concern is space will it fit as things look very cramped in the Case (Amazon customer image). Im used to alot more room Smile

Can anyone recommend any cases of similar size and cost to the thermaltake one, I'm still not sure on the front of it, want something plainer, don't need to see the 3.5" bay cover all i really need to see is the front of my blu ray drive (Polished black) and maybe a power LED.

edit: came across these on on ebay Case 1 and Case 2 Case 2 looks like it has some kind of PicoPSU with it.

If i went with one of those from ebay only concern is cooling, how hot dose this board and chip run whilst playing a blu ray or 1080p file?

I've swapped out the Corsair memory for the suggested crucial memory thanks Smile.

(2012-05-26, 22:24)bluray Wrote: It seems that you are very concern about noise-

-I'm not sure how noisy is the 220W PSU in that case. The included PSU have tendency to be noisy. You can always replace it with a silent Pico PSU "picoPSU-150-XT + 150W Adapter Power Kit" and this CPU cooler "Scythe SCBSK-2100". As for the memory, 4GB is plenty for Windows 7 HTPC......you should be able to playback everything in your list with A6-3500.....

You can try everything stock first, but select "Cool N Quiet" and set fan level to 2 in AsRock bios and monitor the temp. If it is still noisy, you can do as suggested above...!

(2012-05-27, 02:23)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-26, 22:41)Mick1152 Wrote: I would suggest getting the faster 1866 memory, I've read our Llano APU's benefit from the faster memory, and who am I to argue with what I've read on the internet?
You might have read "post #5"......this "CRUCIAL 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1866 - PC3-14900 Ballistix Tactical PC Memory Modules" will work better....you can find the entire spec on it here "Guaranteed-compatible with the ASRock A75M-ITX".....

(2012-05-27, 17:09)Icerat Wrote: edit: came across these on on ebay Case 1 and Case 2 Case 2 looks like it has some kind of PicoPSU with it.

If i went with one of those from ebay only concern is cooling, how hot dose this board and chip run whilst playing a blu ray or 1080p file?
It seems to be a very nice case, and it included a silent 150W PSU. You might have to replace the 80mm case fan with the silent case fan as this "SilenX EFX-08-12 80mm"........

Hi and thanks for replies

Went with case one in end found it cheaper on http://linitx.com/ Ordered a silent 80mm fan also Smile

Where would i get the Radeon drivers for: AMD Llano A6-3500 Tri-Core Processor with Integrated AMD Radeon HD, 6530D Graphics and Socket FM1

Tried looking on http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx but wasn't sure where to look (Always had nvidia).

(2012-05-28, 19:03)Icerat Wrote: Where would i get the Radeon drivers for: AMD Llano A6-3500 Tri-Core Processor with Integrated AMD Radeon HD, 6530D Graphics and Socket FM1
Auto detect is the easiest way- AMD Driver Autodetect.......if your AMD driver is up to date, it'll tell you too......

If you prefer the manual way, follow my screen shot below-

Hi

Doh i was looking for the Radeon HD, 6530D in step 3 not the chip version, my bad, been a long day.

Thanks

Hi
So Ive now built my media center with the parts listed above and Case 1 in post #7 CASE 1 (Post pics later if anyone would like to see).

Over all it was an enjoyable build just a lot smaller then I'm used to doing or have done in past.

I want to thank those who gave me advice Smile but I do however have one problem.

The so called silent PSU in the case has a little fan in it which sounds like a jumbo jet taking off, If i temporally stop this little fan going around the system is virtual silent.

I can barley hear the CPU cooler: Scythe Shuriken Rev.B Quiet Low Profile CPU Cooler and the rear exhaust fan: Xilence Red Wing 80mm Quiet Fan going around.

If i was to open up the PSU and disconnect this little screamer do you think it would have much of an impact on the PSU temps and system temps, do you think ill have to replace my exhaust fan with a Noctua NF-R8 80mm Quiet Case Fan to get better airflow through the case (I'm trying to stay as quite as i can) and get me a quite system for the foreseeable future.

Alternatively could anyone recommend a good silent / near silent replacement i can get in UK?

Please bear in mind I'm on a bit of a budget for next few months after spending most on my pennies on this system (Don't what the wife moaning to much lol).

Looking forward to replies

IR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build Advice0