To DIY or not to DIY
Another noob here with the same old questions, ive been reading everything i can for the last couple days and cant decided what to do about my htpc issue. Currently i'm using my laptop plugged into the front hdmi port on my onkyo 607 but this isnt ideal.

I first thought about a WD live hub but then thought i'd want more so was thinking the Revo RL70 or Lenovo Q180, spec wise the Q180 seems to come out top with the HD6450 graphics and usb 3.0 etc. These i can get for around £200 in the UK.

I then stumbled across this site and now i dont know what to do, to furture proof myself i'm now thinking a custom build along the lines of a A6-A3500,GA-A75N Mobo,4gb Ram,64gb M4 SSD,Antec ISK110 with 90w psu. This would cost around £300 and i'd use my external 320gb hard drive for now to store media.

I prefer the looks of the ISK110 but may go for the ISK300 with 150w psu so that i could add a blu ray drive later.

I currently dont have 3D or a very large 1080p collection but would like these options in the future. What can the custom build do that a RL70/Q180 cant.

Thanks
For one, you can expand a custom build easier than the RL70/Q180, but....

Depending on your budget,..if it were me, and if I didn't want to go over $350 and be up and running, I'd go with the RL70.
If I had ~$500 to spend,..I'd go A6-3500

The advantage an A6-3500 build has over the RL70/Q180 is that the CPU is powerful enough to handle any software or tasks that does not take advantage of the GPU. You should be able to put together a nice A6-3500 build with an SSD for what you'll pay (or a little bit more) for a fully-loaded RL70/Q180.
(2012-07-11, 21:49)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: For one, you can expand a custom build easier than the RL70/Q180, but....

Depending on your budget,..if it were me, and if I didn't want to go over $350 and be up and running, I'd go with the RL70.

Any reason why you'd pick the RL70 over the Q180, the prices are the same.

(2012-07-11, 22:30)un1eash Wrote:
(2012-07-11, 21:49)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: For one, you can expand a custom build easier than the RL70/Q180, but....

Any reason why you'd pick the RL70 over the Q180, the prices are the same.

I personally like the way it looks, the keyboard and remote that are included, that Windows 7 is included, that I've seen many good reviews on this model,.and that I've setup a few for friends who love it.

I had this conversation with a "Happily Married" co-worker last week, he was thinking about a RL70 and asked me if he "needed" to spend more money for something "nicer" that would last longer. He is cautious about a complete build himself. I will try to repeat what I told him.
This is not an endorsement or shameless plug, I do not know Dougie Fresh or Assassin personally, but if I were spending my money, I would feel comfortable doing so. This is how I answered his question - there is truth in humor.
If you're single this may not apply right now, but should be committed to memory for future use.

You can purchase a very nice, very small, very powerful bare bones computer from Dougie Fresh
I am not aware of any other place you can find something this nice.
The only comparison I have to offer would be a 2.5 GHz Intel i3 Processor ready to go - Assassin HTPC ELITE

Dougie offers a E-i5 AMD A6-3500 mini-ITX barebones HTPC, with a upgraded CPU fan/cooler and 4GB of RAM for 349.98 (USD). You need to ask him about heat / fan noise / testing before shipping.
Add to that a Crucial M4 64GB SATA III Solid State Drive for about 73.00 (USD)
You also need Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - 67.99 (endorsed by BluRay - forum member)
Add in a Blu-Ray USB External Player DVDRW for 59.96
Brings the total to around 553.00 (USD)
(You can save some money by using a 8GB USB Memory Stick to load Win7 and worry about the BluRay later)

You supply the labor installing the SSD, connecting the BluRay / USB stick and install Windows7.
It's up to you to decide on a remote, keyboard, mouse.
If you feel comfortable building it yourself, copy the parts they use and supply your labor.

IF you get bitten by The XBMC Bug, I can almost guarantee that RL70 will end up in a bedroom, and you will find a way to build a better system later. Many a unsuspecting user has been afflicted by this.

If you will be happy with something simple, buy the RL70....... and look no further.
And get accustom to the "bug repellant" which is usually supplied by the wife ...... many a unsuspecting man can share there personal stories with you .... think I'm kiddin' you? Ask around.

My co-worker decided to talk to Dougie once he saves the money and has cash in hand.
He would rather NOT use the "bug repellant".

(2012-07-12, 01:52)Driver 944 Wrote: I had this conversation with a "Happily Married" co-worker last week, he was thinking about a RL70 and asked me if he "needed" to spend more money for something "nicer" that would last longer. He is cautious about a complete build himself. I will try to repeat what I told him.
This is not an endorsement or shameless plug, I do not know Dougie Fresh or Assassin personally, but if I were spending my money, I would feel comfortable doing so. This is how I answered his question - there is truth in humor.
If you're single this may not apply right now, but should be committed to memory for future use.

You can purchase a very nice, very small, very powerful bare bones computer from Dougie Fresh
I am not aware of any other place you can find something this nice.
The only comparison I have to offer would be a 2.5 GHz Intel i3 Processor ready to go - Assassin HTPC ELITE

Dougie offers a E-i5 AMD A6-3500 mini-ITX barebones HTPC, with a upgraded CPU fan/cooler and 4GB of RAM for 349.98 (USD). You need to ask him about heat / fan noise / testing before shipping.
Add to that a Crucial M4 64GB SATA III Solid State Drive for about 73.00 (USD)
You also need Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - 67.99 (endorsed by BluRay - forum member)
Add in a Blu-Ray USB External Player DVDRW for 59.96
Brings the total to around 553.00 (USD)
(You can save some money by using a 8GB USB Memory Stick to load Win7 and worry about the BluRay later)

You supply the labor installing the SSD, connecting the BluRay / USB stick and install Windows7.
It's up to you to decide on a remote, keyboard, mouse.
If you feel comfortable building it yourself, copy the parts they use and supply your labor.

IF you get bitten by The XBMC Bug, I can almost guarantee that RL70 will end up in a bedroom, and you will find a way to build a better system later. Many a unsuspecting user has been afflicted by this.

If you will be happy with something simple, buy the RL70....... and look no further.
And get accustom to the "bug repellant" which is usually supplied by the wife ...... many a unsuspecting man can share there personal stories with you .... think I'm kiddin' you? Ask around.

My co-worker decided to talk to Dougie once he saves the money and has cash in hand.
He would rather NOT use the "bug repellant".

Great advice. Both peeps are very knowledgeable.

Wink
Thanks guys. Posts like these are what make this fun. We DIYers can help in lots of ways and having something proven and ready for non-DIYers so they can enjoy our hobby too is what makes it all worthwhile. Like Beer40oz says, "let's watch some movies!"
I'm just about to place my order but i cant make my mind up between the i3-2120 or the A6 3500. The intel is £30 more expensive to build.
(2012-07-16, 10:19)un1eash Wrote: I'm just about to place my order but i cant make my mind up between the i3-2120 or the A6 3500. The intel is £30 more expensive to build.
Out of the two choices, I go for Intel i3-2120.....it's more flexible for future upgrades......A6 mobo cannot be upgraded to the new Trinity.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-12, 05:24)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Thanks guys. Posts like these are what make this fun. We DIYers can help in lots of ways and having something proven and ready for non-DIYers so they can enjoy our hobby too is what makes it all worthwhile. Like Beer40oz says, "let's watch some movies!"

Wink yes Enjoy!

Thanks for the replys. I've gone with the i3-2120,Asrock H67M,4gb ram,isk300 case and 64gb M4 solid state. Can't decide on a keyboard yet and will be looking at ir receivers so I can control it with my harmony one. Depending on noise and cooling also I may look to upgrade the fans and CPU cooler.
(2012-07-16, 18:35)un1eash Wrote: Thanks for the replys. I've gone with the i3-2120,Asrock H67M,4gb ram,isk300 case and 64gb M4 solid state. Can't decide on a keyboard yet and will be looking at ir receivers so I can control it with my harmony one. Depending on noise and cooling also I may look to upgrade the fans and CPU cooler.

Congrats! As far as a keyboard,..I use this one and my whole family loves it.
IOGEAR Multimedia Keyboard with Laser Trackball and Scroll Wheel, 2.4GHz Wireless GKM561R (Black)
Has great range, awesome battery life, and nice features such as being able to pause, FF, and such. It also has a wheel that allows for incremental FF.

(2012-07-16, 18:35)un1eash Wrote: will be looking at ir receivers so I can control it with my harmony one.
This "Inteset" IR is built for Intel......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
To DIY or not to DIY0