Panic! Is this a bug or?
Exclamation 
I think I am going to die because of this!

I have a big collection of cartoon movies, and I was adding video sources. I added the movies folders twice, so instead of right-clicking and removing source, I pressed DEL, thinking this removes the source.

Since I have done this many times (or thinking so), I just accepted the popup, but in my back-head I feared the worst. I panicked, ctrl-alt-del to shutdown XBMC and yes, what I feared happened, it did physically remove the files.

Is this suppose to happen? I mean, it would be different if I was in folder-view or library view, deleted the root-folder or movie folder.
But I was here, deleting the source, what I believe is a link.

aw... this was a collection I have been working on for years for the kids
Meanwhile, working with Recuva, hoping to recover some of the files Sad stupid, stupid me!
Oh gosh!

I think I should send the Recuva team, and the magazine that thought me about the software in the first place some flowers.
I think the movies are saved!

But the main question persists. Is that supposed to happen this way? In the context menu, there is no delete. Delete occurs only when you press DEL.
(2012-07-20, 12:47)Josefin Wrote: I think I am going to die because of this!

I have a big collection of cartoon movies, and I was adding video sources. I added the movies folders twice, so instead of right-clicking and removing source, I pressed DEL, thinking this removes the source.

Since I have done this many times (or thinking so), I just accepted the popup, but in my back-head I feared the worst. I panicked, ctrl-alt-del to shutdown XBMC and yes, what I feared happened, it did physically remove the files.

Is this suppose to happen? I mean, it would be different if I was in folder-view or library view, deleted the root-folder or movie folder.
But I was here, deleting the source, what I believe is a link.

aw... this was a collection I have been working on for years for the kids
Meanwhile, working with Recuva, hoping to recover some of the files Sad stupid, stupid me!

The popup you accepted said "CONFIRM FILE DELETE? Delete these files? - Deleting files cannot be undone!"

So it did exactly what you told it to do....
-stoli-

I have really read much posts with something like "I'm going insane" or "'It freaks me out" or "It frustrates me really hard". But you are the first person which is forseeing his own death because of XBMC. It starts to scare me a bit and the doubt in our work is rising Wink.

Well it seems you have "Settings->Appearence->File lists->Allow file renaming and deletion" turned on. This setting is off by default and its not our fault when users just hit "Yes i want it" on every popup without reading what it says.

So imho - its time to blame yourself mate Wink (but really don't kill yourself - its not worth it - your kids will understand that they have to play in the sandbox for a while until you got back with the digital media).

AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Once you are done, be sure to make a backup
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
BlushBlush

Okay, I take it back then. I am sure I'll live and your work is just splendid!

I agree that the popup said what it said - no doubt about that. It's just that after a time of usage, whether it is XBMC, computers or technology in general, you believe that you know the logics behind.
So I was thinking that since I am removing the library which I thought is a representation of something rather than the files themselves.

In my frustration I was thinking that a function that checks the amount of data that is about to be _physically_ erased should generate an extra warning. But then, everything is relative. A person in a hurry might as well press YES to that popup too.

Thanks heavens, some of the movies are now restored. And yes, Backups are very important. I am considering extra harddrives for backups to be kept aside. You never know, one day you might discover the kids have found the erase button and deleted all the movies. With that said, I realize that this is the first thing to disable!
The other backup link I got was also useful - thanks!. The only reason why I ended up deleting half the collection was actually because I had to reconfigure the configuration.

(2012-07-20, 15:26)Memphiz Wrote:

I have really read much posts with something like "I'm going insane" or "'It freaks me out" or "It frustrates me really hard". But you are the first person which is forseeing his own death because of XBMC. It starts to scare me a bit and the doubt in our work is rising Wink.

Well it seems you have "Settings->Appearence->File lists->Allow file renaming and deletion" turned on. This setting is off by default and its not our fault when users just hit "Yes i want it" on every popup without reading what it says.

So imho - its time to blame yourself mate Wink (but really don't kill yourself - its not worth it - your kids will understand that they have to play in the sandbox for a while until you got back with the digital media).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Panic! Is this a bug or? 0