Linux Revo 3700 + SSD + XBMCBUNTU = ???
afternoon all!

just been having a quick browse at SSD prices and it got me thinking [yeah, steady!]

a 64Gb Samsung 830 SSD is £50 now. would this provide a faster/smoother/boosted experience of XBMC over the current 2.5" HDD in my revo?

or am i barking up the wrong tree here?

also, would i need to do anything [besides setting the bios to AHCI - can i??] with XBMC to stop it killing the drive or would it be fine?

TRIMHuh

cheers
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Seconded, I was wondering exactly the same, googled it and found this post.
If someone has already tried that, I hope for a good feedback ! Smile
Haven't tried this but don't see why it won't work, try it you can always put the old drive back in

Personally I love having a 500gb hdd in my Revo. Makes it a portable htpc xbmc. I dual boot windows and frodo openelec which plays all my bdrips and bitstreams thd audio
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Yes technically speaking there is no reason why this wouldn't work. Haven't found if XBMCBuntu supported TRIM or not, maybe I'm search-impaired, if it is so I apologize.

For my specific needs I would go for a 32GB SSD, as my media are all located on my NAS so I can afford to keep the HTPC storage as small as possible.
Have you played with openelec? if all you need is xbmc and don't want an OS it's perfect and tiny.

My media is on a nas too. But with my Revo I can load it up with films and take xbmc round friends houses.

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Yep, actually I switched to Openelec (Eden beta). I'd like to further improve boot time for my HTPC so I guess the go-to would be a SSD (then I will recycle the 2"5 in a USB enclosure).

I was wondering how big of an impact the absence of TRIM would have. I guess not that big.
Well I've just received the Samsung SSD.

Can anyone recommend any software to test the drive first?

And which version of the OE beta do I need? I normally use XBMCfreaks since audio works out the box with that Smile

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Frodo openelec builds are available from the first post in this thread:

http://openelec.tv/forum/20-development-...ue-reports

You have to register to be able to view the post. Download the ion version for the revo. Enjoy! revo 3700 & openelec is an awesome cheap bitstreaming device

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Nice. Cheers. Will have a play Sunday!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

got the SSD installed, just stuck at this at the mo......

any ideas?

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Try a ion beta or stable of openelec from openelec.tv and report back

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
ion beta - same result
ion stable - works but no sound and is the old version of XBMC.

xbmcfreaks - works out the box but doesn't feel any faster/slower than standard drive!

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I am also thinking of an ssd solution for my 3700 but rather than using openelec I want to clone my Windows 7 install onto it as there are a couple of other things apart from XBMC I want to use on it.
Anyone know if its as simple as cloning my present install onto an ssd or are there other hoops I will have to jump through?
How long ago did you download the Frodo openelec version. As they are nightly builds they are updated daily. if you don't have any luck try posting in the thread over there
(2012-08-25, 21:40)stammie Wrote: I am also thinking of an ssd solution for my 3700 but rather than using openelec I want to clone my Windows 7 install onto it as there are a couple of other things apart from XBMC I want to use on it.
Anyone know if its as simple as cloning my present install onto an ssd or are there other hoops I will have to jump through?
Should be easy enough to clone your drive using something like clonezilla. You may want to realign your partitions for optimal ssd lIfe http://m.lifehacker.com/5837769/make-sur...erformance

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
The USB drive that you install OpenELEC from needs to be labeled "OPENELEC" . If it is not, you will get that error regarding not being able to mount

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo 3700 + SSD + XBMCBUNTU = ??? 0