Best low profile card GPU for HTPC?
I'm not up on what is the best video GPUs for HTPCs. What low profile card GPUs are considered best these days?
I was actually just researching this myself. I narrowed it down to the AMD Radeon HD 6450, AMD Radeon HD 6570, and the Nvidia Geforce GT 430. All can be had at around $50, the 6450 probably a little cheaper, and can even be found on sale as low as $30.

It seems the overall tier of the cards would be: 6570 > 430 > 6450, however, this can vary depending on what software, OS, or tasks you plan to use it for. Radeon being the best for Windows and Nvidia for Linux. I've heard they are all well capable of nearly all HTPC tasks and even some minimal gaming. All of them offer a low-profile passive cooling model which is great if you are looking for a near silent setup. Also, they are all fairly power efficient, which is a big plus because when being used, it can take much of the load off the CPU, so I would suggest pairing it with an energy efficient CPU.

Here are a few articles comparing the cards and other comparable cards in the same range, also including some of AMD's & Intel's iGPUs.

Radeon 6570 review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4278/amds-...on-hd-6570
Nvidia 430 review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3973/nvidi...rce-gt-430

Here is another very informative article on HTPC discrete cards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380

I recently purchased a passively cooled Radeon 6570, haven't had much time to test it out, but from just playing the largest 1080p mkv files I had (~20GB) it had no problems whatsoever. I did run some stress tests, but it being such a low end card, I don't think you can take much from them. I think the biggest thing to take from those tests would be the temperature readings.

I know I can't say much since I haven't really tested/used any of the cards myself, but hopefully this can get you a start in the right direction.
(2012-09-02, 04:51)snowboarder33 Wrote: I recently purchased a passively cooled Radeon 6570, haven't had much time to test it out, but from just playing the largest 1080p mkv files I had (~20GB) it had no problems whatsoever.

Does size of the mkv file matter as far as how well the GPU can process it?

(2012-09-02, 04:51)snowboarder33 Wrote: It seems the overall tier of the cards would be: 6570 > 430 > 6450, however, this can vary depending on what software, OS, or tasks you plan to use it for.

So your saying here that the 6570 is better than the 430, and the 430 is better than the 6450?
Well some 1080p encodes can boast "1080p", but can be stripped and shrunk down to the point that it's really no longer a full HD playback experience, so I'm just trying to say it is true 1080p (almost) and the high bit rates.

Well between the 6570 and the 430, "better" can be subjective. For instance as I stated before, depending on the OS, some cards experience better performance on that particular platform. I think this article here gives a great overall review of the best choices for discrete HTPC GPUs.

Either way, you can't go wrong with any of those choices - just depends on your exact needs and what you plan to do with the system.
(2012-09-02, 05:15)g725s Wrote: So your saying here that the 6570 is better than the 430, and the 430 is better than the 6450?
I used all the GPU's in your list. The Nvidia GT430 and AMD HD6570 are great GPU's for HTPC......I have no problem playback blu-ray disc and blu-ray ISO (some files are nearly 50gb) with those cards....in term of performance, HD6570 more powerful than GT430.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
When you say best, remember Nvidia GT640 now comes in a low profile version. I currently use the sapphire 6670 and have no complains but its not LP
Do you want low profile with active or passive cooling?

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
would probably perfer passive, but if the active is not too loud….

And Jetster, I'm seeking low profile only. Thanks.
Where did you find a GT430 that is both low profile and passively cooled? FWIW, this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814125346 is very quiet.
(2012-09-04, 15:59)propJohn Wrote: Where did you find a GT430 that is both low profile and passively cooled? FWIW, this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814125346 is very quiet.
The size is massive, and it'll not fit in most mini-itx cases. This one "EVGA 01G-P3-1335-KR GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB", and it was very silent in my mini-itx case.....
(2012-09-04, 17:50)bluray Wrote:
(2012-09-04, 15:59)propJohn Wrote: Where did you find a GT430 that is both low profile and passively cooled? FWIW, this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814125346 is very quiet.
The size is massive, and it'll not fit in most mini-itx cases. This one "EVGA 01G-P3-1335-KR GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB", and it was very silent in my mini-itx case.....

Is this a low-profile card or does it come with a low-profile bracket? It looks like you can unhook the VGA but even visiting the manufacturer's site it's not clear if it comes with a low-profile bracket or if one is available separately. I too am looking for a thin, low-profile GT430.

Edit: looks like you can get the bracket here: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=213580785

(2012-09-04, 17:50)bluray Wrote: The size is massive, and it'll not fit in most mini-itx cases.
Tell me about it Sad It needs a case that can fit two cards. I forget the reason why I opted for that one. I seem to remember that many of them were sold out at the time.

(2012-09-04, 18:07)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-09-04, 17:50)bluray Wrote:

Is this a low-profile card or does it come with a low-profile bracket? It looks like you can unhook the VGA but even visiting the manufacturer's site it's not clear if it comes with a low-profile bracket or if one is available separately. I too am looking for a thin, low-profile GT430.

Edit: looks like you can get the bracket here: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=213580785
I bought one earlier last year, and it included LP bracket in the box but I'm not sure that every box included LP bracket...........

For what it's worth, I read a bunch of posts from 'bluray' with advice similar to what he is posting here, and I picked up the Sapphire HD6570 w/ 2GB DDR3 (on NewEgg @ $70). As bluray indicates, it has no problem with playing anything. I can play BluRay ISO's that are 60GB+ without any hicups or issues.

This is on a Windows w/ a simple platter hard drive, and an AMD Phenom X6 processor running the latest XBMC (which is also patched for HD audio).

Hopefully this helps - I found the advice from bluray spot on and have never wasted any time messing around with drivers, configuration, or compatibility issues...it just flat out works.
(2012-09-08, 23:38)onyx00 Wrote: For what it's worth, I read a bunch of posts from 'bluray' with advice similar to what he is posting here, and I picked up the Sapphire HD6570 w/ 2GB DDR3 (on NewEgg @ $70). As bluray indicates, it has no problem with playing anything. I can play BluRay ISO's that are 60GB+ without any hicups or issues.

This is on a Windows w/ a simple platter hard drive, and an AMD Phenom X6 processor running the latest XBMC (which is also patched for HD audio).

Hopefully this helps - I found the advice from bluray spot on and have never wasted any time messing around with drivers, configuration, or compatibility issues...it just flat out works.
To me, AMD HD6570 is the best low budget all around GPU for HTPC.....even the latest Intel HD4000 is fall short of HD6570 performance.....HD Graphics 4000: Performance In 3DMark 11 And Batman......

I'm glad that you are enjoying your Sapphire HD6570.....Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best low profile card GPU for HTPC?1