G540 motherboard advice
Hello
I plan to use G540 (G530 or G6xx seems to be similair) in HTPC and I don't want what motherboard to choose. There are many cheap H61 based, and I would like to know if they are sufficient? What's better (from HTPC point of view) in other more costly chipsets? I only need HDMI ouput, gigabit LAN and that's all.
Will you ever in the future want/need USB 3.0 or SATA III?
i wouldn't go for Usb 3.0 or Sata III.
The older standards are more than fast enough to stream 1080p.

But if you wan't to do a lot of file transfers via usb, you should just pay the 10 extra bucks.
JetWay JI61G-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

ASRock B75M LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I have only USB 2.0 devices and don't see any advantages of having sata 3, so I think h61 will be sufficient
I wouldn't by h61. Its too old and problematic. Its not much more for a H67 and you get the ability to overclock, USB 3 and if you happen to get an SSD the SATA III is a must. If you already had one it would be fine. I currently am running a P55 but to buy one now just get the better chipset. Hell get the B75 everything is going to work better
(2012-09-16, 12:13)Jetster Wrote: I wouldn't by h61. Its too old and problematic. Its not much more for a H67 and you get the ability to overclock, USB 3 and if you happen to get an SSD the SATA III is a must. If you already had one it would be fine. I currently am running a P55 but to buy one now just get the better chipset. Hell get the B75 everything is going to work better

The ASRock H77M is currently the same price as the H67M, I would suggest anyways that he gets a H77 board. The only H61 board that I would recommend is the ASRock H61M/U3S3, which gives a couple of SATA ports but adds in 2 SATA III boards and USB 3.0, but it is also only ~$3 cheaper then that H77M, so again I would say the H77M would be a good cheap current chipset choice; it would also allow upgrading to a IVB CPU in the future.

(2012-09-16, 11:04)Marx1 Wrote: I have only USB 2.0 devices and don't see any advantages of having sata 3, so I think h61 will be sufficient
This might be the cheapest Micro ATX mobo for Intel 1155 socket w/ HDMI- ECS H61H2-M2(1.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ......
As your requirement i think this motherboard Asus P8H61-M LE Desktop Motherboard would be more suitable for you.
(2012-09-16, 12:13)Jetster Wrote: I wouldn't by h61. Its too old and problematic.

I've used several of these H61 motherboards and continue to use them in mini-itx builds (usually one ODD and one SSD) with G530s and G540s. None have been problematic. At $80 w/ free shipping they are perfect for budget builds.

Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 mini-itx motherboard

(2012-09-17, 13:24)Whitehead685 Wrote: As your requirement i think this motherboard http://www.computervalley.ca/p8h61-m-le/...e-x16-slot would be more suitable for you.
No HDMI....

(2012-09-17, 16:04)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-09-16, 12:13)Jetster Wrote: I wouldn't by h61. Its too old and problematic.

I've used several of these H61 motherboards and continue to use them in mini-itx builds (usually one ODD and one SSD) with G530s and G540s. None have been problematic. At $80 w/ free shipping they are perfect for budget builds.

Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 mini-itx motherboard
As he mentioned in his post, he's not interesting in a mobo with USB 3.0.......and he can buy a mobo with just USB 2.0 half of the price.....

(2012-09-17, 16:18)bluray Wrote: As he mentioned in his post, he's not interesting in a mobo with USB 3.0.......and he can buy a mobo with just USB 2.0 half of the price.....

Obviously, the response was to the quoted post and the assertion that H61 is problematic. The board I posted is one I've used in several builds. I've also used the ASUS P8H61-M and -I. I have not had any issues with H61 boards. I've built over two dozen systems with H61 boards. If the H61 is generally problematic then why recommend one in your post?

(2012-09-15, 22:53)bluray Wrote: JetWay JI61G-ITX LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
I finally bought b75 motherboard from msi. It's the cheapest b75 I could buy at once in local store and it were only on the price of some h61 mobo.
Together with g540 it's quite cold and I'm happy it works very good under Linux. So thank you for your response.
(2012-09-24, 21:05)Marx1 Wrote: I finally bought b75 motherboard from msi. It's the cheapest b75 I could buy at once in local store and it were only on the price of some h61 mobo.
Together with g540 it's quite cold and I'm happy it works very good under Linux. So thank you for your response.
You end up with a more expensive MSI mobo then.......enjoy it...Nod

Ok I feel I need to explain myself. I was a little harsh on the H61 Chipset and did not stat that correctly. Its not problematic that was the wrong way to put it. It just lack some features and does not overclock well. But $80 is to much for that chipset. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813130639 You would be much better of with a newer on ether the P67 B75 or Z77 but is you can fine a H61 for a decent price the Im sure you will be happy. Like I stated my HTPC is a H55

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
G540 motherboard advice0