Stuck on Splash Screen
Hello,

I downloaded xbmc v11 eden and almost every time I start it, I get stuck on the splash screen. When I run the task manager and end the process nothing happens and the only way I can get out of it is too either restart my laptop (doesn't always work) or hard boot it. I have a dell xps 14z running windows 7 64bit. I know there are other threads about this but I'm a complete noob when it comes to this and have no idea what some of the more technical terms mean.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Create an advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file in your userdata (wiki) directory, add the following contents to it and save the file:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <loglevel>1</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Launch XBMC and let it run for a couple of minutes (I assume it will hang on the splash screen). Get out XBMC and locate your debug log (wiki) (xbmc.log). Upload the contents of the entire log to www.pastebin.com or www.xbmclogs.com and post the URL link to your uploaded log here with your reply.
Hi artrafael!
Thanks for the reply! I have done as you said and here is the link: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=9244
Hello, I have the same problem here except that I have a Dell Vostro running windows 7 64bit. XBMC had started maybe 2-3 times but now it's freeze on the splash screen and I need to hard boot it.
(2012-09-25, 02:27)Comsat Wrote: Hello, I have the same problem here except that I have a Dell Vostro running windows 7 64bit. XBMC had started maybe 2-3 times but now it's freeze on the splash screen and I need to hard boot it.

Welcome to the XBMC forums.

See post #2 above.
Same here. XBMC stopped working one day and now it always gets stuck at the splash screen. I uninstalled and reinstalled it (keeping the profile folder) but the problem is still there: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=9271
(2012-09-25, 11:31)jfranki Wrote: Same here. XBMC stopped working one day and now it always gets stuck at the splash screen. I uninstalled and reinstalled it (keeping the profile folder) but the problem is still there: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=9271

For starters, you need to fix this:
Code:
11:21:16 T:3104   ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect
11:21:16 T:3104    INFO: CRemoteControl::Process - failed to connect to irss, will keep retrying every 5 seconds
11:21:36 T:4532   ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video60 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.2.106' (10060))
11:21:57 T:4532   ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video59 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.2.106' (10060))
11:22:18 T:4532   ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video58 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.2.106' (10060))
So does anyone have a fix for this?

ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect
Code:
21:31:58 T:4464   ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect
21:31:58 T:4464    INFO: CRemoteControl::Process - failed to connect to irss, will keep retrying every 5 seconds
That's not a fatal error and isn't the cause of your problem. Try backing up your userdata (wiki) folder to a different location (e.g., thumbdrive) and then deleting everything in the userdata (wiki) folder on your harddrive. Start XBMC and see if it still hangs. If it works, then copy back any of your custom settings files, such as advancedsettings.xml, keyboard.xml, sources.xml, etc. Do one file at a time, with an XBMC restart after each restore, just in case one of these files may have been the culprit in the first place.
(2012-09-25, 19:00)fifty3 Wrote: So does anyone have a fix for this?

ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect

Please take a look at this thread if you haven't already - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126529.
If anyone has a cd/dvd in your drive, remove it. if anyone uses daemon tools or similar try to disable it as well and report back please.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2012-09-25, 19:38)artrafael Wrote:
Code:
21:31:58 T:4464    INFO: CRemoteControl::Process - failed to connect to irss, will keep retrying every 5 seconds
That's not a fatal error and isn't the cause of your problem. Try backing up your userdata (wiki) folder to a different location (e.g., thumbdrive) and then deleting everything in the userdata (wiki) folder on your harddrive. Start XBMC and see if it still hangs. If it works, then copy back any of your custom settings files, such as advancedsettings.xml, keyboard.xml, sources.xml, etc. Do one file at a time, with an XBMC restart after each restore, just in case one of these files may have been the culprit in the first place.

nope this didn't work. I didn't change anything in there except for the advancedsettings.xml folder
(2012-09-25, 12:14)artrafael Wrote:
(2012-09-25, 11:31)jfranki Wrote: Same here. XBMC stopped working one day and now it always gets stuck at the splash screen. I uninstalled and reinstalled it (keeping the profile folder) but the problem is still there: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=9271

For starters, you need to fix this:
Code:
11:21:16 T:3104   ERROR: CRemoteControl::Connect - failed to connect
11:21:16 T:3104    INFO: CRemoteControl::Process - failed to connect to irss, will keep retrying every 5 seconds
11:21:36 T:4532   ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video60 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.2.106' (10060))
11:21:57 T:4532   ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video59 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.2.106' (10060))
11:22:18 T:4532   ERROR: Unable to open database: xbmc_video58 [2003](Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.168.2.106' (10060))
Thanks, it was just a problem with my server's IP address, which I thought it had the DHCP disabled but it hadn't, so problem solved.
I am unable to remove the CRemoteControl error too though...
(2012-09-25, 21:01)fifty3 Wrote:
(2012-09-25, 19:38)artrafael Wrote:
Code:

nope this didn't work. I didn't change anything in there except for the advancedsettings.xml folder
It's not just a matter of what customized files you may have intentionally placed in your userdata (wiki) folder, the database or something else within there may have become corrupted. Deleting all folders/files within userdata (wiki) would give you a fresh start. But if you've already done that and it didn't fix your problem, then I don't know what else to suggest.

BTW, did you see WiSo's suggestion above in post #11?
Yea, there's nothing in my DVD drive and I have magic disk installed but there's nothing mounted in that either, should I uninstall it all together?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuck on Splash Screen0