Win New/First HTPC build
had given up the idea of getting a HTPC because it seemed cost prohibitive (>$600) until I started reading this forum today, and wow, there are builds here for $250! You guys are amazing! Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

I have used a basic tower computer as my HTPC for about 2 years and it is getting dated. It is having heat issues and I have added all the cheap fixes I can. I'm ready to build! I don't save movies to my hard drive, nor do I run any front end software. I basically use the TV as a monitor as this computer acts as the main comp for the family. But we mainly use it for watching content off the internet.

Requirements for the build:
1. Must run Windows 8
2. Stream Hulu HD
3. Stream Netflix HD
4. Stream ESPN HD
5. Act as a general browsing machine
6. Cost under $300

Preferences:
1. Intel
2. Quiet to silent
3. Micro ATX

What I have so far:

$38.99 - Windows 8
$59.99 - Samsung 128 GB SSD
$0 - 2 DVD drives that are still going strong
$0 - 750 GB HD I bought last year

Considered build:
CPU - Intel Pentium G850 $69.99
MOBO - ASRock H77M $69.99
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600 mHz $39.99
Case - Silverstone ML03B $57.21
PSU - Logisys 350w $26.98

Total (using onboard GPU): $374.15

Where can I cut costs? Will this build even work for what I want it to do?

It looks like it should work quite well, but the integrated graphics might have a bit of trouble when you get to larger / 1080p files. (EDIT: I just looked around, people are saying the Intel CPU is capable enough for HD files / content)

Nevermind, it looks like it'll work as you intend it to.
It's not much of a cost cut but you can use 4GB and since the G850 only supports DDR3-1333, you might find that cheaper than the DDR3-1600.

But at the same time I'd take that savings and get a better PSU, besides which the one you've chosen doesn't come with the necessary SFX-to-PS2/ATX adapter plate you need for installing it in the ML03. Try this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...004VF4R4U/

I'd love to know where you got the Samsung 830 128GB SSD for $59.99.
Dougie,
Exactly the kind of stuff I need to know. My greenness is showing.

The SSD was a mistype. The total reflected that it cost $69.99. Sorry about that. For what it's worth, I got it at Amazon. I have wanted an SSD for the last year and have often visited pcper.com to see what their current favorite was. When I saw the Samsun took the top spot, I put it in my Amazon cart and got notified it dropped to $69.99 last week. Went back up a few hours later.

On the power supply, the case doesn't require a Micro ATX so what about this one. It is $23.98 with shipping, has more watts and has a lot of good reviews. Any reason that won't work?

And thanks for answering the questions of a newbie. I know it can get tiresome when you're one of the revered members on a board. Appreciate it.
For about the same price, why not getting the latest AMD Trinity A6-5400K and MSI FM2-A75MA-E35. You'll have better AMD Radeon HD 7540D iGPU. You should be able to playback blu-ray 1080P video, bitstreaming HD audio, 3d, some games, etc......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-10-29, 19:47)adletson Wrote: Dougie,
Exactly the kind of stuff I need to know. My greenness is showing.

The SSD was a mistype. The total reflected that it cost $69.99. Sorry about that. For what it's worth, I got it at Amazon. I have wanted an SSD for the last year and have often visited pcper.com to see what their current favorite was. When I saw the Samsun took the top spot, I put it in my Amazon cart and got notified it dropped to $69.99 last week. Went back up a few hours later.

On the power supply, the case doesn't require a Micro ATX so what about this one. It is $23.98 with shipping, has more watts and has a lot of good reviews. Any reason that won't work?

And thanks for answering the questions of a newbie. I know it can get tiresome when you're one of the revered members on a board. Appreciate it.

The fun part is helping folks with their HTPCs. A bunch of someones helped me get into it once-upon-a-time. So, no worries.

With a power supply, you want something high-quality, efficient and sized towards your build. A system like yours even at maximum will draw 80W but for watching videos under 40W. The problem is though no one makes good ATX or microATX power supplies that are efficient and that low wattage. Ideally, there'd be a 120W ATX PSU you could choose. Since there isn't, you want something as low as possible but without sacrificing quality. My favorite ATX PSU manufacturer is Seasonic (e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151063). For microATX PSUs, that FSP PSU is my favorite. You're going to pay more but you'll get more efficiency and less headache and less problems.

On top of all that, the ML03 case you've chosen is fairly shallow. If you look at the reviews you'll see a lot of issues with the optical drive interfering with the power supply. The microATX power supply solves that issue because it's so much smaller than the ATX power supply. With microATX you don't worry about the depth. However, you have to be sure to get one that has a bracket to mate the microATX power supply with the ATX power supply bay in your case.

Some reading on power supply efficiency ratings (what does 80 PLUS mean?): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Also, look at the reviews to see which power supplies people have used, what brand/model, which interfered with the optical drive, etc. You'll learn a lot there.

Looks like TigerDirect (the seller on Amazon) is sold out of the $69.99 ones. I am bummed I just yesterday ordered one for $87.50.

So revised after suggestions:

What I have so far:

$38.99 - Windows 8
$69.99 - Samsung 128 GB SSD

Considered build:
CPU - AMD A6 5400K $74.99
MOBO - MSI $69.99
PSU - HuhHuh?? This has gotten a lot more complicated...

Total (using onboard GPU): $349.14 + PSU

Both the Intel G850 and the A6-5400K will do all those things you want. You should pick on preference, brand quality and price.

For the power supply, just make sure you pick a quality PSU that fits with your DVD player and you're good. Look for 80+, low wattage and from a good manufacturer.
(2012-10-29, 23:17)adletson Wrote: So revised after suggestions:

What I have so far:

$38.99 - Windows 8
$69.99 - Samsung 128 GB SSD

Considered build:
CPU - AMD A6 5400K $74.99
MOBO - MSI $69.99
PSU - HuhHuh?? This has gotten a lot more complicated...

Total (using onboard GPU): $349.14 + PSU
You'll enjoy it.....the PSU Dougie suggested should be a good one or this "SilverStone Strider 400W".....

While trying to read up, I have noticed some people saying they have driver issues when using AMD systems for their HTPC? anyone ever encounter that?

I noticed a review say that the FSP PSU has short cables that can be trouble. Have you noticed this?
(2012-10-30, 19:38)adletson Wrote: While trying to read up, I have noticed some people saying they have driver issues when using AMD systems for their HTPC? anyone ever encounter that?
One of the guy in here have A6-5400k, and he said the latest AMD driver 12.8 work fine with his A6-5400K HTPC. Here is his post #102......

Would there be any need for a third party cooler for the AMD build?
(2012-10-31, 23:23)adletson Wrote: Would there be any need for a third party cooler for the AMD build?
You can try the stock cooler first. If you don't like the noise, you can always go with one of these- "Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B or COOLER MASTER GeminII"....

Final components:

CPU - AMD A6-5400K $69.99
MOBO - MSI FM2-A75MA $49.99
Case - Silverstone ML03B $53.99
PSU - Antec EA-380D $43.69
RAM - Kingstone HyperX 8GB $29.99
SSD - 128 GB Samsung 830 $69.99
OS - Windows 8 Pro $38.88
Compound - Arctic Cooling MX-4 $6.65

Total: $363.17

Some of these are Christmas presents so I'm hoping to build the system the week after Christmas when I'm off work. Is there anything else that I will need? Wires? Tools? Any help is appreciated.
Okay I have finally gotten all the parts, they are assembled and I'm stuck.

The computer booted right to the BIOS. I can edit the settings, but when I go to save the settings and exit, it locks and I can't do anything but reboot. Also, I have tried installing Windows from 3 different medias: Windows 8 upgrade, Windows 7 upgrade, and Windows XP upgrade. I know these are upgrade copies of windows, but I have successfully installed them off the upgrade before. Anyway, all 3 will start to load and lock before they even get started.

Help!! Please!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New/First HTPC build0