Win Possible to buy a working remote for XBMC?
Question 
I want to move back to XBMC (haven't used it since I got a HDTV and chucked the XBox in a wardrobe), but will need it to run in Windows on my new PC (HP Microserver N40L with a few upgrades).

I have looked at dozens of articles about getting remote controls to work with XBMC for Windows. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no way to buy a remote control with receiver and just work :'(

The best options seem to be:

1) Get one of the more expensive Logitech Harmony remote controls and some dodgy IR receiver (no idea what one) and use this guide.
PROBLEMS: Cost; No idea what receiver is decent (i.e. no lag, wide-angle, etc)

2) Get some dodgy eHome RC6 MCE remote - apparently most of the buttons will work with XBMC 10+ straight away, then play around with the key-map.
PROBLEMS: Normally cheap & tacky; Several keys will never work; Various keys will open Media Centre just to be annoying

Can somebody please advise me what to buy? An amazon.co.uk or play.com link would be fantastic if possible - prefer not to use eBay but I will if necessary...

Thanks
Get an HP receiver and remote control. It works perfectly with xbmc out of the box. I have never experienced any of the problems you mentioned above.
(2012-11-07, 18:23)baijuxavior Wrote: Get an HP receiver and remote control. It works perfectly with xbmc out of the box. I have never experienced any of the problems you mentioned above.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Do you mean something like this ? Is there one that doesn't have a receiver the size of a brick? I just want a nice small black one that won't look out of place.

And what do the yellow/red/blue/green buttons do on your remote? And the Media Centre button?
Yes the HP receiver is quite bulky. I'm currently using inteset 4 in one MCE remote. The buttons are backlit and has the added advantage of programming upto 3 other remote controls. The external receiver is small when compared to HP. There is option for internal IR also. I have configured the colored buttons to go to the movie, music etc. sub sections. Media center button is programmed to start xbmc instead of WMC.
That looks OK (receiver is still massive though) but it is not available in the UK Sad

The best MCE remote I've been able to find so far is this but apparently it sometimes has up to 30 seconds lag, and it struggles from 3 metres away. So not great...

I just wish there was a remote that you can buy off the shelf (or a reputable online retailer) that will actually work with XBMC

Perhaps the developers could approach one of the remote manufacturers to create an official XBMC remote that can work with Windows/Live/etc - the remote manufacturer will benefit since many XBMC users will buy it (assuming it is priced fairly) and XBMC will be much improved.
Www.flirc.tv. Get this and use any remote of your choice.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2012-11-08, 13:41)bry- Wrote: Www.flirc.tv. Get this and use any remote of your choice.

Does it support IR, RF and bluetooth?

I would consider this - $28 / £18 isn't too bad.

Is it really as simple as plugging it in, installing software and assigning some buttons? And will I have full control over XBMC (like I used to when it actually was XBox Media Centre).

I assume I could use this with the xbox360 remote?
I've had several remotes and this is the one I have stuck to. RF-transmitter, QWERTY, and 100% PnP. For me, it just always works and... yeah, thats about it Wink

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...-xbmc.aspx

System: XBMC Gotham 13.1, HTPC: AMD 6450 1GB, Intel i5 3470S, 8GB DDR3, ASUS P8H61-M PRO, OCZ SSD Agility 3, NYXboard Hybrid Remote
Surround: NAD M15HD2, NAD M25, B&W 803 Diamond, B&W DB1, B&W HTM4, Pioneer KRP-600A / Panasonic 65VT50
Already ordered this now: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cit-rem-0...e-function

The Motorola one does look very good - I'm not bothered about the built-in keyboard although I can see how that would be useful to many people.

Could a Moderator sticky a post regarding this remote - it is an excellent solution for XBMC and I think it would be useful to many users (I'm sure plenty of people must get put off XBMC because it is so damn hard to find a remote!)

Thanks!
I have now bought this:

But the arrow buttons just move the mouse cursor - I don't even want a mouse cursor though. Does anybody know how I can change the arrow keys to 'normal' operation?

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind. There is a button called Toggle that does it. Big Grin
I got this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101002 I like it because i have a usb port in the front of my computer and so they mini usb gives it more of a appliance feel. It works with harmony.
My new one works pretty well, but the receiver (black, not partly clear like the image) does stick about an inch out from my N40L:
(2012-11-08, 15:41)torcar Wrote: I've had several remotes and this is the one I have stuck to. RF-transmitter, QWERTY, and 100% PnP. For me, it just always works and... yeah, thats about it Wink

http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...-xbmc.aspx

I always wanted to get that one but no one, including Pulse Eight, could give me any answers on how it works in WMC as well (which is important to our family). Simple things like being able to bring up a guide in WMC with it, or the recordings.
(2012-11-08, 13:41)bry- Wrote: Www.flirc.tv. Get this and use any remote of your choice.

I own a Flirc setup and love it. I wish I bought it sooner.
(2012-11-08, 14:04)sdutton007 Wrote:

Does it support IR, RF and bluetooth?

I would consider this - $28 / £18 isn't too bad.

Is it really as simple as plugging it in, installing software and assigning some buttons? And will I have full control over XBMC (like I used to when it actually was XBox Media Centre).

I assume I could use this with the xbox360 remote?

It supports IR. you plug it into a PC and program it to use any IR remote you have. Really simple to setup. I set line up with a harmony remote. To setup with a harmony you have to add a device you don't own then program the Flirc to that.

(2012-11-07, 18:04)sdutton007 Wrote: I want to move back to XBMC (haven't used it since I got a HDTV and chucked the XBox in a wardrobe), but will need it to run in Windows on my new PC (HP Microserver N40L with a few upgrades).

I have looked at dozens of articles about getting remote controls to work with XBMC for Windows. As far as I can tell there is absolutely no way to buy a remote control with receiver and just work :'(

The best options seem to be:

1) Get one of the more expensive Logitech Harmony remote controls and some dodgy IR receiver (no idea what one) and use this guide.
PROBLEMS: Cost; No idea what receiver is decent (i.e. no lag, wide-angle, etc)

2) Get some dodgy eHome RC6 MCE remote - apparently most of the buttons will work with XBMC 10+ straight away, then play around with the key-map.
PROBLEMS: Normally cheap & tacky; Several keys will never work; Various keys will open Media Centre just to be annoying

Can somebody please advise me what to buy? An amazon.co.uk or play.com link would be fantastic if possible - prefer not to use eBay but I will if necessary...

Thanks

Yep, until you can find a recommended hardware set that works out of the box on the front page of XBMC this project will remain strictly for those who enjoy spending hundreds of hours reading forums.

But the remote control farce is the single worst aspect of this project. Like you've found, you can't get a straight answer. Ten years on and XBMC is still not ready to recommend to anyone but geeks with no life.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to buy a working remote for XBMC?0