Streacom FC8 FM2 Trinity build log - need help!
(2012-11-27, 05:22)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-11-27, 04:45)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-27, 00:55)tutu Wrote: Yeh It came with one, but I was hoping there might be an adapter from the DC which fits the case well. I already have everything in the case, bit late to start drilling holes!! It was a pain to setup.
You can, but you have to replace 12V AC-DC adapter with this- standard 16A 192W AC-DC adapter....

This AC adapter's output is potentially twice the amperage rating of that harness. This means melting/fire. This is why I always bring this up -- not just to be a PITA.

but if you can use a bigger AC/DC adapter if you don't exceed for too long the rated input.
It is the same rating as his Pico PSU. His A6-5400K will never draw anywhere close to 16 amps (with A6-5400k load, might draw maybe 6 amps max).

Short-Circuit Advertise-

"Description:
Adapter Technology's 192 watt, 16 amp fanless AC-DC 12V adapter gives you all the power you need. It works with the picoPSU-120, picoPSU-80-WI-32, picoPSU-150-XT and picoPSU-160-XT.

Made with high quality components, this adapter generates less heat. Voltage ripple is less than +/-.01V unlike cheaper models, which range more than +/-.30V ripple. As a switching power adapter, it works on any standard voltage worldwide (100V - 240V AC input)."

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-11-27, 05:34)bluray Wrote:
(2012-11-27, 05:22)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-11-27, 04:45)bluray Wrote: You can, but you have to replace 12V AC-DC adapter with this- standard 16A 192W AC-DC adapter....

This AC adapter's output is potentially twice the amperage rating of that harness. This means melting/fire. This is why I always bring this up -- not just to be a PITA.

but if you can use a bigger AC/DC adapter if you don't exceed for too long the rated input.
It is the same rating as his Pico PSU. His A6-5400K will never draw anywhere close to 16 amps (with A6-5400k load, might draw maybe 6 amps max).

Short-Circuit Advertise-

"Description:
Adapter Technology's 192 watt, 16 amp fanless AC-DC 12V adapter gives you all the power you need. It works with the picoPSU-120, picoPSU-80-WI-32, picoPSU-150-XT and picoPSU-160-XT.

Made with high quality components, this adapter generates less heat. Voltage ripple is less than +/-.01V unlike cheaper models, which range more than +/-.30V ripple. As a switching power adapter, it works on any standard voltage worldwide (100V - 240V AC input)."

I am really not interested in getting into another long winded argument. I don't even know how this can be argued. This is not conjecture. I got this information from mini-box who designs and manufactures the picoPSU. It's also in the picoPSU manual. If they say the maximum rating of the harness is 8A (96W) then I tend to believe them no matter what other combinations are sold by other vendors. I sent them the email to ask about it because of these combinations sold by other vendors and my own confusion over that. It seems asked and answered.

I would say to the OP if you're using a A6-5400K then get a smaller not larger AC adapter that supports the harness you are using. I don't see the sense in a 192W AC adapter for a system that is going to draw at most 72W.

(2012-11-27, 05:52)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I am really not interested in getting into another long winded argument. I don't even know how this can be argued. This is not conjecture. I got this information from mini-box who designs and manufactures the picoPSU.
I don't like to argue either. Mini-box message you posted is clear "but if you can use a bigger AC/DC adapter if you don't exceed for too long the rated input.". A6-5400k load will draw only a fraction of the 16 amps rated......it should be fine....

It being sold at short-circuit with other packages too. If there is anything burn, short-circuit should have stop selling it in these packages by now.....here are some samples of Pico packages with more than 8amp adapters with jack- picoPSU-150-XT/12.5A 150W AC-DC , picoPSU-120/10A 120W AC-DC....
(2012-11-27, 01:10)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The reason they supply that harness is because it's amperage rating is high enough to exceed 8A (96W). The barrel-style one isn't rated for over 8A.

That's good to know thanks.

My build was going fine (fast and stable) until I put on the heatpipes. I removed the RAM sticks to do so. I then booted up and nothing... no beep, no output but it was drawing 80-81W which is what the A10 5700 draws normally in the BIOS on this motherboard (4 cores, turbo enabled, 3.4ghz)

It seems it was the RAM. Took one DIMM out, no change. Swapped DIMM slots, it booted. I placed the other DIMM in the other remaining slot.. booted fine.

But when I enable Intel XMP profile, the motherboard boots up overclocking failed (I think it is setting it to 2133). I tried setting it 1866, same result. The RAM is Corsair LP 2133 DDR3.

The most I can get is 1600 Mhz out of it - is it worth trying different RAM?

(2012-11-27, 11:36)tutu Wrote:
(2012-11-27, 01:10)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The reason they supply that harness is because it's amperage rating is high enough to exceed 8A (96W). The barrel-style one isn't rated for over 8A.

My build was going fine (fast and stable) until I put on the heatpipes. I removed the RAM sticks to do so. I then booted up and nothing... no beep, no output but it was drawing 80-81W which is what the A10 5700 draws normally in the BIOS on this motherboard (4 cores, turbo enabled, 3.4ghz)

It seems it was the RAM. Took one DIMM out, no change. Swapped DIMM slots, it booted. I placed the other DIMM in the other remaining slot.. booted fine.

But when I enable Intel XMP profile, the motherboard boots up overclocking failed (I think it is setting it to 2133). I tried setting it 1866, same result. The RAM is Corsair LP 2133 DDR3.

Well, I don´t know for sure. But as far as I know Intels XMP doesn´t work in AMD systems. AMD introduced AMP a while back, but I haven´t seen any RAM supporting this.
Basically I think you shouldn´t use the XMP profile. If anyone has hands-on experience with this please chime in.
(2012-11-27, 11:36)tutu Wrote: But when I enable Intel XMP profile, the motherboard boots up overclocking failed (I think it is setting it to 2133). I tried setting it 1866, same result. The RAM is Corsair LP 2133 DDR3.

Here is some info on the FM2 RAM- Memory Bandwidth Scaling: Feed The Beast

(2012-11-27, 15:21)solidsatras Wrote: Well, I don´t know for sure. But as far as I know Intels XMP doesn´t work in AMD systems. AMD introduced AMP a while back, but I haven´t seen any RAM supporting this.
Basically I think you shouldn´t use the XMP profile. If anyone has hands-on experience with this please chime in.

I just ran into this same issue with XMP RAM using an A8-3800/A75 motherboard. With non-XMP version of the same RAM I can set it to DDR3-1866 and it's fine. If I use the XMP RAM and set it to DDR3-1866 I am unable to install Windows (BSOD) and Memtest fails. If I set it to DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1333 it works fine. I am using Kingston HyperX 1866 2x2GB.

(2012-11-27, 11:36)tutu Wrote:

You should be able to find a 120W AC adapter with the 5.5 x 2.5 tip. FSP and Delta make good ones.
Quote:The lower right heatpipe is the problem. I had to bend it even to get the extension in, which to be honest isn't really much smaller than the PICO! (in height). It's also much longer than I thought!!

Will the pico PSU fit? How did you bent the heat pipe? Maybe is it possible to remove the lower right heat pipe?
Can you make a photo?

Thnx
I wanter to ask how you found the streacom IR, have you got it working properly?

Does it work with a harmony
I want to build an FM2 system, and find very few cases that I like. I am really considering the fanless FC8 Evo but it seems that pretty much every FM2 mobo will have a problem with this case. Does anyone know a mobo that will fit this case no problems?
(2012-11-27, 20:50)PB84 Wrote:
Quote:The lower right heatpipe is the problem. I had to bend it even to get the extension in, which to be honest isn't really much smaller than the PICO! (in height). It's also much longer than I thought!!

Will the pico PSU fit? How did you bent the heat pipe? Maybe is it possible to remove the lower right heat pipe?
Can you make a photo?

Thnx

You could remove the heatpipe, but probably not a good idea. Maybe with the A6?

With the extension

My solution to the issue with the pico power connector!!

Finished build

(2012-12-01, 12:33)ibramadhan Wrote: I wanter to ask how you found the streacom IR, have you got it working properly?

Does it work with a harmony

It works, the first one had a burning smell! The second one works fine. I have my Harmony remote working with it in XBMC windows and Linux
I'm having overheating issues now that I have put the case on top. I just had a lock up.

I did notice that cool n' quiet wasn't working, it seemed to be stuck at 3.4 GHz. Sad Set windows to power saver. Going to wait until it cools down before trying. The case got red hot, almost burning me.

The BIOS and GRUB don't output over HDMI. I have to plug in a VGA monitor. Also MSI have said that undervolting is not possible on this motherboard!!!!

I wish I had put this system together sooner, might have swapped to Intel. But 24fps output really bugs me.

I was running prime95 and unigine benchmark without issue and temps were good with the case off.
For those that are interested here are my A10 vs A6 power measurements (these are total power measurements). These are UK power measurements, AC

Unfortunately, I did not record temperatures.

A6 5400K (65W)

BIOS - 53w
Idle in Windows 23w
Prime (2 cores) - 63w
XBMC - 30w
XBMC playback - 27w - 28w
HPC - 31 - 43w

A10 5700 (65W)

BIOS - 82w
Idle - 23w - 24w
Prime 84w - 96w (4 cores)
Dolphin - 80-90w
XBMC - 32 - 33w on menu
XBMC - 29 - 35w on playback (720p)
HPC - 31 - 45w

A10 with 2 cores disabled, no turbo enabled

BIOS - 49 - 53w
Idle - 25w
Prime - 57w
Dolphin 69 - 75w

Dolphin performance - Super Mario Wii (1080p) - Windows 8, Catalyst 12.10

These were running at DDR 1333 (I forgot to set 1866) I moved to set a place. Stopped walking. These are not averages!

First level - 1x filter

A10 - 67 fps A6 - 56fps (looking at the flag)
A10 - 60 fps A6 - 47fps (looking uphill)
A10 - 58 fps A6 - 43fps (on top of hill, looking at castle?)

First level - 2x filter

A10 - 54 fps A6 - 58fps
A10 - 48 fps A6 - 43 fps
A10 - 43 fps A6 - 43 fps

First level - 3x filter

A10 - 38 fps A6 - 25 - 27 fps
A10 - 34 fps A6 - 34 fps
A10 - 32 fps A6 - 33 fps

If I had to do it again, I would probably go for the A6 5400K (65W) or the Intel Core i3 3220T (35W). I kept the A10 because at the time I wasn't ready to install the heatpipes. I am having issues at load, heat just builds up and the whole case gets boiling hot. I am going to have to disable 2 cores, probably will check the cooling. OR swap it for a ASRock Z77 + Intel Core i3 3220T and have to live with the 24fps bug.

I would not get a A10 for this case.
I just did a unigine DX11 1080p default settings benchmark. Interesting results - looks like disabling 2 cores does not affect the GPU.

A10 (4 cores)

15 fps (379)
8.8 to 30.8

A10 (2 cores)

15.1 fps (381)
Min FPS: 8.8
Max FPS: 31
To get my A10-5700 cooled off I turned off Turbo and cranked the frequency down to 2.8GHz or something like that. Make sure the voltage goes down as well. There was a thread here somewhere about this. That's still plenty of CPU for HTPC and the GPU will still be running at stock. It made huge difference in power usage and temperatures.

Also, ASRock told me to update the BIOS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streacom FC8 FM2 Trinity build log - need help!0