Linux Media stubs: "No optical disc drive detected" Problem
I have a collection of movie backups on offline DVDs. I used to have it solved by creating a fake video of 10 secs indicating wich disc to insert for every movie. I have then come accross the Media Stub feature (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...edia_stubs) and the replaced all my fake .avi with the proper 'Movie Title'.disc file. I rescraped the movies, but now the problem I am facing is that I cannot get the message with the disc information I included in the file. As I have mounted my Revo behind the LCD, I do not have an optical disc drive to play the movies, rather than that what I do is to share a DVD-Rom over the network, o copy the movie I intend to see.

Is there any way to override the "No optical disc drive detected" and go ahead showing the message in the .disc stub file?
An advancedsettings.xml setting will be great.

Thank you in advance.

I suspect that the change would have to wait until after XBMC v12 Frodo is released. Till then I wonder if it would be possible to fake a drive being present.
Maybe some CD/DVD drive emulator?

uNi
(2012-12-17, 08:26)Ned Scott Wrote: I suspect that the change would have to wait until after XBMC v12 Frodo is released. Till then I wonder if it would be possible to fake a drive being present.

I will wait then.

(2012-12-17, 11:35)uNiversal Wrote: Maybe some CD/DVD drive emulator?

uNi

I have tried with cdemu to no avail. The installation failed and I didn't wanted to go over the debug logs. As the offline media collection is somehow static, I kept it the way it was, with the fake avis.

It would be a nice feature to have XBMC behave like the following:
  • Add an extra optional field in the .disc stub file pointing to a mount point (samba, nfs, etc.) and a file name. Most of us have a NAS o central storage, so the Optical Drive could be shared over a network.
  • On selection to play this offline movie from a .disc stub file, if the mount point is present it should show a message asking to insert the media missing in the specified mount point, with a message either to "Cancel" or "Play when ready".
  • On Cancel, it should go back to the media info or media list.
  • On Play, it should check for the filename present as specified in the .disc and if so, play it. If not, ask to retry.

Thoughts?

I have posted this into Feature Suggestions section (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148647).
This is not only Linux related. I have Frodo/Windows and I have the same issue. And in version 11 I did not have this problem.

- In version 11, when I browsed through my library and wanted to watch a movie which was on a DVD/blueray, I got an message with the defined text in the stub file (addition to the request to insert the disc). In this way I was able to find correct DVD/bluray to be watched on PS3.
- In version 12 (dated 2013-01-28), I will get a message that I do not have the required player in my machine. That is true, XBMC is not showing any more the text to identify the dis.

So, for me the additional check for the player existence implemented for Frodo was a major drawback, since 50% of my materials are on optical discs.
(2013-02-18, 11:09)willew Wrote: This is not only Linux related. I have Frodo/Windows and I have the same issue. And in version 11 I did not have this problem.

- In version 11, when I browsed through my library and wanted to watch a movie which was on a DVD/blueray, I got an message with the defined text in the stub file (addition to the request to insert the disc). In this way I was able to find correct DVD/bluray to be watched on PS3.
- In version 12 (dated 2013-01-28), I will get a message that I do not have the required player in my machine. That is true, XBMC is not showing any more the text to identify the dis.

So, for me the additional check for the player existence implemented for Frodo was a major drawback, since 50% of my materials are on optical discs.

Yes! Idem for Frodo/Mac! ...how can I resolve?
People, I think we should continue the discussion in the general forum: Media stubs behauviour change in Frodo
Has there been any update on this? I use a pivos and my Nas server has an optical drive. How can I at least set the optical drive on my Nas so xbmc knows that is my optical drive?
(2013-12-05, 03:20)jiggsaw Wrote: Has there been any update on this? I use a pivos and my Nas server has an optical drive. How can I at least set the optical drive on my Nas so xbmc knows that is my optical drive?

Not that I know of :\

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media stubs: "No optical disc drive detected" Problem0