720p MKV Motion Laggy Under 6.1?
I've been happily running my ATV2 on an earlier iOS but decided to get up to the latest and install 6.1 now that XBMC can run on it.

I'm noticing the same type of videos that used to run smoothly have not gotten very jumpy during scenes of heavier motion, panning, etc. The sound is fine, and the sync catches up, but it does get to be a bit bothersome at times.

Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me? I'm running no extra plugins beyond MySQL to connect to my library, and everything is streaming over. Ran both the stock skin and metropolis to see if I could keep the resource usage low but I don't think it can get much lower.

Is there anything else I can try or that I may have set to "on" that I shouldn't to help things not be choppy like this?

Thanks for all you devs and fans do. Even with the chops I still love the product and it's the only reason I turn on my ATV2.
Did the older ios run eden or frodo?
If it ran Eden, have you got "pass through" enabled for the surrond sound?
The older ios ran Frodo as well before I bumped up to the latest iOS.

It's hooked up via HDMI to a TV directly, so no surround sound, I just have HDMI enabled with none of the other boxes (DD, DTS, output to all) checked.

Content is streaming over wireless N (router is on same floor around 30 feet away). Don't think that has anything to do with it though, it's not like a freeze, looks more like the processor having issues getting the video to keep up.

Would a log help?
A log might help, but my guess is that the new fancy AudioEngine is using a bit more system resource downsampling your audio from 5.1 to 2.0 and that won't show up in the log Wink Your tv might support DD, in that case try checking the "other boxes" and see if it helps Wink
I am having very similar issues. I posted logs in this thread. Would it be possible to disable the new engine? From what I recall our boxes don't take advantage of it anyway.
I ticked those two off to see, will report back after I have a chance to watch a show or two on it this evening. Thanks for the suggestion.
Now guys read the first post again. For me it sounds like he only changed the ios version - not XBMC. What makes you think that XBMC is now able to fix - what obviously was changed/broken by Apple?

As far as i can tell wifi performance in conjunction with xbmc has degraded further from ios 5 to ios6 on atv2. Use ethernet or downgrade to ios5.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-03-15, 00:05)Memphiz Wrote: Now guys read the first post again. For me it sounds like he only changed the ios version - not XBMC. What makes you think that XBMC is now able to fix - what obviously was changed/broken by Apple?

As far as i can tell wifi performance in conjunction with xbmc has degraded further from ios 5 to ios6 on atv2. Use ethernet or downgrade to ios5.

The thing is, I don't see this problem when watching the same exact video files using the Firecore Media Player on ios6. Or when streaming iTunes stuff for that matter. Furthermore, the problem still existed after I downgraded to ios5. It wasn't until I downgraded XBMC from 12.0.0-1 to 12.0.0 did things noticeably improve (it still happens occasionally - the last time it was 100% smooth all the time was when I was on Eden).

Also I have 3 ATV2s. The one in the same room as the router (with line of sight to it) actually performs slightly worse than the one furthest away two rooms over.

I would like to know more details about the network setup of everyone in this thread having this issue. I'm using NFS on a Mac file server (which is connected to the router with ethernet).

And Memphiz, I'm not trying to complain or whine to you in any way. Without your selfless effort we wouldn't be able to do any of this. I'm just trying to provide feedback to everyone.
Well the 12.0.0-1 vs 12.0.0 is an important piece of information to me! I had to rewrite most of the code we need to be able to showup as an ATV2 app for atv2 5.2. Hard to describe but it might be that what i needed to do for beeing able to run again on current iOS results in more CPU demand. Though i'm not quiet sure why and if this will change in the near future (xbmc atv2 can't be debugged properly). (all this code is only run on startup once - so not sure how this should degrade performance once XBMC is up and running).

The compare to firecore media player doesn't help us. They are a dedicated atv2 app. XBMC is basically full blown PC code. It just tells us that ATV2 is able to perform well - but XBMC will always put a certain load on the atv2 CPU which other dedicated apps don't.

I can tell that i have watched alot of livetv running XBMC on atv2 5.2 - even via wifi - and it was flawless most of the time - but for sure when using ethernet. (using tvheadend).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p MKV Motion Laggy Under 6.1?0