3.7 Kernel or Newer to fix Intel HD Audio issue
Hi there,

I've built a HTPC and have installed XBMCbuntu. For the most part I've got it working well however I have the dreaded HD audio issue.

I have read that newer versions of Linux kernel fixed this issue and there were some 'big' improvements around 3.9

Are there plans to build XBMCbuntu with a newer kernel so all the users with Intel chipsets don't have to try and troubleshoot/fix it themselves?

I spent a whole lot of time reading and trying various things to get it working however everytime I update the kernel my network connectivity dies.

I'm no Linux techy so I'm struggling to find a solution.

It is safe to assume many people will experience the same thing so curious if XBMCbuntu will be releases with this issue fixed 'out of the box'.

Thanks in advance
As the name XBMCbuntu might suggest, it's built using Ubuntu so it won't happen until they release a build including a more up to date kernel.

If you want to stay more up to date kernel wise then using the Openelec distro will be a better bet, in case you don't know Openelec is a dedicated lightweight linux distro with XBMC built on top. I believe Openelec already have kernel 3.7 in stable builds and I'm sure I've reports of 3.9 being under test, but not sure if it's in a stable build yet.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have also used openelec. Both the stable and development builds. There is a lot to like about it such as the fact is find and automounts my secondardy drive without having to edit the fstab file and samba seems to work without having to edit the smb.conf file.

The best thing is that the HD audio works without any hacking etc.

The major drawback for me is the fact my Atheros onboard network adapter does not work and as pretty much all troubleshooting is done via SSH it's pretty much got me by the curlies until they release a version with drivers built in for my adapter. Another drawback for me personally is the fact the security is much tighter on openelec... for example you can't edit the smb.conf file if you wanted to because it is read only and I can't manually install my network card adapter because of openelec restrictions regarding apt get etc.

Another thing I like about XBMCbuntu is that you can also log into XBMCbuntu or the cut down version of Ubuntu which makes some of the simple tasks a lot easier such as copying or editing keyboard.xml or remote.xml files.

I guess it is a matter of which one either fixes my LAN issue or the HD issue first is which way I'll head. At present it is openelec as I'll try an older network adapter.

Thanks again
Jason
Hello.

Ubuntu provide 3.7 for Quantel | 3.8 for raring here - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds | http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mai...2-quantal/

You will have to download and install the deb files manually.

sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb

(or something like that)

It may work, it may not, but its usually pretty easy to revert back if you use grub (and I believe XBMCbuntu does)

*I am not responsible if your house burns down because of this*

Big Grin
The wiki also has instructions for updating the kernel Intel_Linux_Modifications_for_HD_Audio (wiki)
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I can upgrade the kernel no problem as per http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Int...r_HD_Audio however afterward my network card no longer functions.

Any ideas?

Even after the kernel is upgraded that is still only half the problem fixed as you still need to remove the module that drives your SPDIF. The Wiki say to rmmod the module however is not clear how to find out which module is driving your SPDIF or how exactly to rmmod it.

Thanks
Jason
(2013-06-01, 09:12)inspectaclueso Wrote: The major drawback for me is the fact my Atheros onboard network adapter does not work and as pretty much all troubleshooting is done via SSH it's pretty much got me by the curlies until they release a version with drivers built in for my adapter.

Why don't you request the drivers be added to OE?
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2013-06-01, 10:39)inspectaclueso Wrote: Even after the kernel is upgraded that is still only half the problem fixed as you still need to remove the module that drives your SPDIF.

not needed anymore with kernel 3.9
Okay, so if kernel 3.9+ fixes the HD Audio issue then I just need to know how to upgrade the kernel without loosing my network connectivity.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3.7 Kernel or Newer to fix Intel HD Audio issue0