• 4(current)
WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section
Love this thread!
I really hope that the pvr client GUI will keep improving until the final version of Gotham!
Honestly it's better than Frodo but still WAY WAY worse than WMC or MP.....

I'm really torn between Gotham and MP because the pvr became my main usage of my htpc, and xbmc's answer to that is simply much less slick..
It's a shame really because in any other aspect - movies, tv series, music, skins, performance... it is much better than anything else!

Please improve the GUI of the PVR Client..!!
Make it more simple to seek (timeshift) with a visible progress bar, a keyboard/remote layout that is similar to the one from the movies (!), make the EPG easier to read and to navigate...

For all I care, just rip off MP's complete GUI, it is perfect... Especially with StreamedMP.

Thank you very much Smile
(2014-02-03, 06:37)omriamos Wrote: For all I care, just rip off MP's complete GUI, it is perfect...

+1
(2014-02-03, 10:47)macardi Wrote:
(2014-02-03, 06:37)omriamos Wrote: For all I care, just rip off MP's complete GUI, it is perfect...

+1

Try Arctic skin. Still in WIP, but (colour scheme aside) it's the closest to MP front end I have come across for PVR.
I actually much prefer the version in Xperience1080++ but then again Skins can only do so much...

I'd really like to see some further improvements in the xbmc EPG handing and let's get it integrated the way other sections are integrated (i.e. the TV, Movies etc)...it would be ideal if recorded Live TV programs are scraped into the library and made available with some metadata, further allowing things like a widget on the home screen showing "Recent recorded programs" (Similar to how we have "recent movies" etc)...Once we get this integration and a few tweaks here and there I think the Live TV area will start to really develop.

@xhaggi - keep up the good work here, much appreciation of the changes you are including Big Grin
(2014-02-04, 12:13)im85288 Wrote: I actually much prefer the version in Xperience1080++

Yes, but you are biasedBig Grin
In the interests of fairness however, (time and access to TV permitting) I will give your mod a whirl tonight and adjust my future recommendations appropriatelySmile

On a more serious note, since some of XBMC's limitations are a side effect of supporting multiple backends, has any of Team XBMC opinions on the idea of selecting say, two "prefered" backends, and integrating client and XBMC more tightly with them?
Of course, I can already hear the howls of outrage when people's favoutite backend is not on the prefered list...
(2014-02-04, 14:13)mayoman Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 12:13)im85288 Wrote: I actually much prefer the version in Xperience1080++

Yes, but you are biasedBig Grin
In the interests of fairness however, (time and access to TV permitting) I will give your mod a whirl tonight and adjust my future recommendations appropriatelySmile

Haha yes very true Angel But honestly I have tried basically every PVR skin out there and prefer my own! But I know things like skins are personal taste so hopefully with some changes like integrating live tv into the local databases so we can use the recorded/upcoming live tv programs to present a better experience to users would be great...along with sorting out the EPG...I know the going backwards in time was a feature but it has caused problems like not seeing the current program in the epg all the time and of course navigation issues...could we please have an option to disable the going back in time in EPG?
(2014-02-04, 14:13)mayoman Wrote: On a more serious note, since some of XBMC's limitations are a side effect of supporting multiple backends, has any of Team XBMC opinions on the idea of selecting say, two "prefered" backends, and integrating client and XBMC more tightly with them?
not going to happen. ever. the pvr api must be agnostic to the backend that's being used.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
(2014-02-04, 15:18)im85288 Wrote: I know the going backwards in time was a feature but it has caused problems like not seeing the current program in the epg all the time and of course navigation issues...could we please have an option to disable the going back in time in EPG?
there's been some discussion about it. imo the "back" action should take you back to the view selection on the left, which solves the only problem with navigation that i know about
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
But do you really think most users has daily need for past epg data ? My Dreambox dont have it and i have never missed the feature. I rather see a better epg overview with maybe a option in the sidemeny to enable past epg data (if needed) or where you toggle epg view, a new timeline window with only past epg data?
everything is fine with past epg except the usability as opdenkamp said.
We forgot to add the back action to the epg grid for confluence .. will add a PR asap.
(2014-02-04, 20:54)xhaggi Wrote: everything is fine with past epg except the usability as opdenkamp said.
We forgot to add the back action to the epg grid for confluence .. will add a PR asap.

Didnt I read somewhere (github) about an option you were going to add to disable/limit the amount of past data displayed?

IMO it was better before past EPG was added, sky do this best and use the "<" symbol to show when a TV show has already started

Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2014-02-04, 20:54)xhaggi Wrote: everything is fine with past epg except the usability as opdenkamp said.

Cool I'll have a look at how it works in confluence once the PR is completed. Are you also saying that when navigating the EPG grid now that you always see the full title of the currently playing program (as it was prior to the past data coming into play)? The last Gotham build I checked this was still a problem IMO, I do not think you should ever have to navigate to the left to see what program is currently on.

And just for confirmation as I have seen the question asked multiple times is it not possible to disable the past data in the EPG as a setting? I think we can already see from the number of posts on a development thread that this particular feature does not add much value for many users.
(2014-02-05, 13:02)im85288 Wrote: Are you also saying that when navigating the EPG grid now that you always see the full title of the currently playing program (as it was prior to the past data coming into play)? The last Gotham build I checked this was still a problem IMO, I do not think you should ever have to navigate to the left to see what program is currently on.
No you have to navigation to the left to see the full title of a program, which is the same if you navigate to an upcoming show.

(2014-02-05, 13:02)im85288 Wrote: And just for confirmation as I have seen the question asked multiple times is it not possible to disable the past data in the EPG as a setting? I think we can already see from the number of posts on a development thread that this particular feature does not add much value for many users.
No you can't disable this and there is no plan to add this.
i thought it was discussed that the show name should be left justified to the visible portion of the grid box, rather than the beginning of the grid box even if that was off screen. Surely it makes sense to always be able to see the start of the name of the current time slot show? I think it was a comment da-anda made in this thread or on the PR's on github
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-02-05, 15:14)scarecrow420 Wrote: i thought it was discussed that the show name should be left justified to the visible portion of the grid box, rather than the beginning of the grid box even if that was off screen. Surely it makes sense to always be able to see the start of the name of the current time slot show? I think it was a comment da-anda made in this thread or on the PR's on github

+1

Disappointed that there are no plans to change this. I would prefer this feature to be optional, but at a minimum would like the labels justified as they were before.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discuss improvements for pvr section1