Win Blu ray VC1 format playback issue
I have recently built a HTPC (details below) in which I’m using the on board Intel 4600 graphics. All my blu rays are folder rips (AnyDVD) , the majority of which play perfectly OK. However, all the VC1 format movies are unwatchable with severe blocking and flashing artefacts. I’ve tried various different video and audio settings and have been through various video trouble shooting guides like Thead 1 above (e.g. reducing the audio to stereo has no beneficial effect).

The cpu is not being overworked (10-15%) when playing VC1 BRs. Also, they play OK when fed to TMT6 which I downloaded on trial. I don't want to down the external player route or add a graphic card if poss. Anyone else have similar problems? Any advice on a fix greatly appreciated.

System:
Intel Core i5-4670T(2.30GHz) HD4600 graphics
ASRock Z87E-ITX motherboard
8Gb RAM
Windows 8.1
XBMC 12.2 Frodo (now XBMC Gotham – latest monthly)

HTPC is linked to a Meridian 621 which then goes through a Lumagen scaler to one of my displays, a Pioneer KRL37v TV. Linking the HTPC directly to the display makes no difference.
Try render methode Software and disable dxva(2)
Ryzen5 2400g @gigabyte AorusM
Marantz AV7702/MM8003 Combo
Philips 55PFL8007k/12
Sony VW-270ES
Many thanks. That worked. Sorted
This is an ongoing known issue with the new haswel chips. Having to disable dxva2 is not a solution that I can swallow
(2013-11-19, 23:00)mrhyde1969 Wrote: This is an ongoing known issue with the new haswel chips. Having to disable dxva2 is not a solution that I can swallow

it not only a haswell Problem, there are problems with DXVA on Ivy-Bridge and SandyBridge too...
Philips 55PFL8007k/12
Sony VW-270ES
Is there a consensus that turning off dxva2 is detrimental to image quality? Doing an A/B with dxva2 turned on and off, I didn't notice any noticable difference in image quality with one of my non-vc1 blu ray rips.
there shouldn´t be noticable differences in Image Quality...
DXVA is Hardware accelerated, so when disabling DXVA ur CPU will have to do the work. This means more CPU load, more power consumption, more heat...
Philips 55PFL8007k/12
Sony VW-270ES
New Intel Drivers Available today 20 November: https://communities.intel.com/thread/386...4&tstart=0
While disabling dxva(2) works fine for 1080p VC1 BR rips, I can't find any setting that will allow smooth replay of 1080i VC1 (50Hz) MKV rips. Is this feasible or should I look at transcoding options?

Thanks for any help
Have you activated DXVA deinterlacing? On Nvidia GPUs it works correctly now.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Try gotham, it plays 1080i VC1 mkv files like bbc documentary rips without showing artifacts.
Thanks, but I have to disable dxva2 to get any VC1 encoded BRs remotely playable. With this disabled, DXVA deinterlacing is not an option that appears in the menu (unless I'm missing something).

And, I'm already using Gotham
Like I have allready mentioned this is a Intel 4600 known issue. The haswels can not play vc-1 correctly its not an xbmc issue
(2014-01-05, 14:05)MadScientist Wrote: While disabling dxva(2) works fine for 1080p VC1 BR rips, I can't find any setting that will allow smooth replay of 1080i VC1 (50Hz) MKV rips. Is this feasible or should I look at transcoding options?

Thanks for any help

Original 1080i VC1 50Hz .m2ts files have this problem too in 12.3, such as the BBC logo here.

Version 1.0.21 of MPlayerX can play the same file without issue. I think both MPlayerX and XBMC use FFmpeg -- perhaps there is an update of FFmpeg that hasn't been applied yet?

There's another thread about it here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=145843
Thanks. Perhaps not solely a Haswell issue then?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu ray VC1 format playback issue0