XBMC Not Playing Video Smoothly (M2TS)
I have spent a solid month doing my research for my big HTPC project, finally got a long HDMI cable and tonight was the first night I really tried out XBMC. My first video was Reservoir Dogs. This movie played pretty good. It was a little stuttery at the beginning but smoothed out, but i thought it was due to my TV's (LG) TruMotion mode. TruMotion inserts false frames between the actually video's frames similar to what the SmoothVideo Project does. Audio came out fantastic through my TV's speakers. Once the movie ended I was dicking around in explorer editing filenames trying to get Planet Earth and Wild Russia to import into TV Shows. Was not successful at all. MediaPortal was able to do it right off the bat. Finally got fed up with trying to get those shows to import and decided to watch a movie. The next movie up was Hanna. I launched it and no audio and each frame was taking a long time to transition. I messed with the playback settings and no luck. I checked the file format and it was a M2TS file (the 3.99GB PS3 style files, most my library is in this format). This was the same format that my Reservoir Dogs video uses. I decided to try and play Reservoir Dogs again and it started acting up just like Hanna did. I launched MediaPortal and it played Hanna just fine. I like MediaPortal for its interface. I think Titan is very good looking, but MediaPortal in general is a pain to set up and get running and it doesn't have a good collection of extensions. Some might say my HDMI cable is too long (60ft) but I know thats not the problem as I can watch 1080P video just fine. FYI, its a MonoPrice cable with Redmere tech in it.

I really want to stick with XBMC and was wondering if anyone knows why this suddenly started doing it after playing one movie of the same format successfully.

My rig's setup is windows 7 x64 running a quad core AMD3 processor, 8GB RAM, 72GB SSD (OS Drive), 1TB HDD (Media Drive) and a NVidia GTS 450
It's almost always audio settings that cause what I think you are describing. At least it's the easiest place to start. If you go to System/System/Audio Output is your Audio output device set to DirectSound or WASAPI? Try WASAPI if it isn't currently and see if that helps. You might also want to check the info here as well: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
Yea I just found that thread. That seemed to work. Didn't work on the first go or two but it is working now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Not Playing Video Smoothly (M2TS)0