HDMI Audio
Hey Guys, here is a challenge I have. I just converted my old main PC into a HTPC for XBMC. I've been an XBMC user from the original Xbox, through ATV2, and now onto HTPC. I'm using HDMI out, but have to set my audio to Analog otherwise MKV files will stutter. I have tried to use the Realtek manufacturers integrated sound card driver, but updating this driver continues to use the Microsoft driver for HDMI.

Any thoughts on how to change this driver to support 5.1 sound? Could I also add in a dedicated sound card and have it direct 5.1 sound throughout the integrated HDMI port on the PC?

Hardware configuration like I've mentioned is a little out of my league. Thanks!
debug log (wiki)
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
Are you using onboard video? Does the PC have HDMI built in?

You could just get a cheap new video card, which has HDMI/audio built in, and will work a lot more smoothly?
Yes, integrated audio and hdmi all on the Gigabyte main board. I'll take a look at what hdmi with audio options I have.
(2014-04-06, 15:54)Commandrkeen Wrote: Hey Guys, here is a challenge I have. I just converted my old main PC into a HTPC for XBMC. I've been an XBMC user from the original Xbox, through ATV2, and now onto HTPC. I'm using HDMI out, but have to set my audio to Analog otherwise MKV files will stutter. I have tried to use the Realtek manufacturers integrated sound card driver, but updating this driver continues to use the Microsoft driver for HDMI.

Any thoughts on how to change this driver to support 5.1 sound? Could I also add in a dedicated sound card and have it direct 5.1 sound throughout the integrated HDMI port on the PC?

Hardware configuration like I've mentioned is a little out of my league. Thanks!

AIUI the Realtek drivers are for the non-HDMI audio on most motherboards. The Realtek stuff handles analogue and optical/coax SPDIF audio output (and is often, confusingly, called "HD Audio driver"), but doesn't usually have much to do with HDMI, which is instead usually provided by the same vendor as your graphics solution (Intel, nVidia, AMD/ATI).

You usually have a separate HDMI Audio driver - which will be Intel, nVidia and/or AMD/ATI. Sometimes this is installed as part of your graphics drivers - sometimes as a separate install.
Thanks! The Gigabyte website talks a lot about the Realtek ALC889A codec/driver, but no mention of the manufacturer of the audio chipset (i.e. Intel). Their FAQ says to use Optical out for multichannel sound, but in another statement says that it will support up to 8 audio channels with HDMI. Before I tear down my AV Receiver, can I use HDMI and optical audio at the same time? Any synch issues with this approach?
What is your GPU?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
or CPU?
The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H with integrated Nvidia graphics. Link to the Gigabyte page is: Gigabyte Site

I am running an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

I was reading this thread on audio induced issues causing MKV stuttering playback. In there they talk about dropping down to Analog audio out rather than HDMI unless you can upgrade the HDMI audio driver. I tried that but only the Realtek HD Audio driver was updated. The HDMI audio driver remains as a Microsoft driver, which the thread indicated was the problem as it will only support 2 channel audio and not multichannel.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1253783
(2014-04-07, 16:07)Commandrkeen Wrote: The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H with integrated Nvidia graphics. Link to the Gigabyte page is: Gigabyte Site

Have you try Nvidia driver from here- HDMI Audio Driver Driver
(2014-04-07, 16:07)Commandrkeen Wrote: I am running an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU....

Since you are using Nvidia GPU, CPU info is not need it....
From the MB manual; "• Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)"
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2014-04-07, 19:41)p750mmx Wrote: (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)"
AVR
Thanks everyone, installing the Nvidia driver updated the Microsoft HDMI driver and I can now play multi-channel MKV files without stuttering. A very happy day today! Cheers!
(2014-04-08, 04:55)Commandrkeen Wrote: Thanks everyone, installing the Nvidia driver updated the Microsoft HDMI driver and I can now play multi-channel MKV files without stuttering. A very happy day today! Cheers!
I'm glad that your hard works paid off! Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio0