Win Choppy/skipping videos
Hello guys - I'm in need of help.

I've used my Boxee for some time now, but decided I wanted to build a new HTPC system running Windows 8.1 and XBMC Gotham B3.

The system specs are

Shuttle DS81
INTEL Core I5-4570S (Integrated HD4600)
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB SSD
Crucial - [/php]4 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL11
Flirc

I've installed all drivers from Shuttles website and also the graphics driver from Intel for the HD4600
All my videos are stored on a Synology DS212J.

The system is hooked up via HDMI to my Sony Surround system and from there to my Samsung ES8005 TV.

The problem is that whenever I play a video it becomes choppy for a half a second about every 10 seconds.

I'm not sure if "choppy" is the right description as it seems the video is playing either faster og slower for that half second.

It doesn't sound like much, but it disrupts the video enough that it has become annoying.

I'm not sure if there is some setting that I haven't turned on or off that makes this anomaly, but I need to get it fixed.
The system it self should be good enough to be able to handle playing media files, without any problem.

I've run debug on my system and uploaded the results here.

If you guys need anything else to help me out please let me know.

http://pastebin.com/ivkYzzAK
Try settings ->system -> audio output - set audio setting to WASAPI, and your preferred output device. I see DirectSound issues - it could be causing sync issues.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-10, 17:27)pr0xZen Wrote: Try settings ->system -> audio output - set audio setting to WASAPI, and your preferred output device. I see DirectSound issues - it could be causing sync issues.

Thank you. I tried that as well as turning off DXVA2 seemed to further improve my videos.
(2014-04-10, 15:35)Crueltylizer Wrote: All my videos are stored on a Synology DS212J.
I can see that two things might be causing your playback issues, and one being network. Have you try to playback a video from local hard drive or USB drive?

(2014-04-10, 15:35)Crueltylizer Wrote: The system is hooked up via HDMI to my Sony Surround system and from there to my Samsung ES8005 TV.
Audio configuration is another one that may be causing your playback issues. What is your Sony surround sound system model? XBMC audio configuration dictate by what your surround sound can decode. You can check out some XBMC audio screen shots in this thread for ideas- Simplify XBMC configurations......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-04-10, 18:03)bluray Wrote:
(2014-04-10, 15:35)Crueltylizer Wrote: All my videos are stored on a Synology DS212J.
I can see that two things might be causing your playback issues, and one being network. Have you try to playback a video from local hard drive or USB drive?

(2014-04-10, 15:35)Crueltylizer Wrote: The system is hooked up via HDMI to my Sony Surround system and from there to my Samsung ES8005 TV.
Audio configuration is another one that may be causing your playback issues. What is your Sony surround sound system model? XBMC audio configuration dictate by what your surround sound can decode. You can check out some XBMC audio screen shots in this thread for ideas- Simplify XBMC configurations......

I've never had problems playing files from my Synology disks before (Have had the Boxee and an old HTPC with XBMC which worked without problems).

I'm using a Sony bdv-n790w.

I've attached screenshots of how my current settings are atm.

Even though I thought everything was good there are still some times things go out of sync with audio and small stutters.

Try unchecking 'Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen'.
Perhaps I better not agree this time steelman Wink
There's that wind again lmao
(2014-04-11, 20:12)Crueltylizer Wrote: I've never had problems playing files from my Synology disks before (Have had the Boxee and an old HTPC with XBMC which worked without problems).
I know, but it is connecting to a different HTPC now. I would try to playback at least one movie from local drive just to make sure that there is no issue with streaming....

(2014-04-11, 20:12)Crueltylizer Wrote: I'm using a Sony bdv-n790w.

I've attached screenshots of how my current settings are atm.

Even though I thought everything was good there are still some times things go out of sync with audio and small stutters.
Have you try it without sync playback to display? If there is an option, you can set the surround sound receiver to pass through video to HDTV....

Just curious, what is your XBMC audio configuration like?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-04-11, 23:43)bluray Wrote: Just curious, what is your XBMC audio configuration like?

Here are my audio settings

I greatly appreciate all you guys can do to help.
I was thinking - With my Boxee I was using NFS, but with my Windows 8.1, I'm using SMB.

Would it be better to try out NFS and see if that would help with my problems?

Also would it be better to use OpenElec instead of Windows 8.1?
Couldn't hurt to try. But I suspect it might be a driver issue. Are there any more recent drivers available for your Intel HD4600? Or, maybe even try rollback. Also, make sure recend DirectX is installed.

Regarding OpenELEC vs win 8.1 - your hardware should be capable of handling pretty much anything you throw at in terms of media center usage, regardless of OS. OpenELEC vs Win 8.1 would, in my opinion, be a matter of taste & preference in your case.

You can always install OE on a usb stick and try it out that way, before you make any more permanent decitions.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-13, 22:09)pr0xZen Wrote: Couldn't hurt to try. But I suspect it might be a driver issue. Are there any more recent drivers available for your Intel HD4600? Or, maybe even try rollback. Also, make sure recend DirectX is installed.

Regarding OpenELEC vs win 8.1 - your hardware should be capable of handling pretty much anything you throw at in terms of media center usage, regardless of OS. OpenELEC vs Win 8.1 would, in my opinion, be a matter of taste & preference in your case.

You can always install OE on a usb stick and try it out that way, before you make any more permanent decitions.

Alright thanks I will try NSF. I checked the graphics driver and it is the latest. Will try to update dx aswell. But after I changed some of the settings as suggested the choppiness is gone but now the audio is just out off sync on every other video I play. So I am a step closer.
I've spent a few hours writing this guide to help with issues like this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192225
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Nice guide Piers - though the OP's issue surrounds an intel set-up, so all your screenshots etc aren't going to help the poster a lot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy/skipping videos0