HTPC 3D Mini ITX. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Hello everyone! I just want to start out saying I am a complete noob when it comes to PC building. That being said I really need some help to figure out if what I want to build will be able to play 3D blu-rays and 3D ISO files. I found a build on life hacker that I really like on building a HTPC for less that $500, but I didn't think that it would meet all of what I wanted to do so I modified it on pcpartpicker.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Deophobic/saved/4hpe

Here is what I want/need it to do:

1. Play H.264 rips of my DVD/Blu-Ray collection in XBMC.

2. Pay Blu-Ray 3D and ISO 3D files.

3. Rip files into H.264 directly on the HTPC.

4.Stream movies online.

5. Maybe play NES and Sega emulators.

Those are all my requirements and all the system will be used for. Is the build that I put together capable of doing all this? I have read conflicting things that the right motherboard/CPU combo will play 3D Blu-rays. Or do I have to have a dedicated video card? In which case I wont bother putting in a motherboard with an HDMI output. There will be no 3D gaming of any kind no gaming other than emulating old games!

Please help me!!!!! I am desperately looking for an answer and can't seem to find any dedicated resources to 3D HTPC building.

Oh and I would like to keep this build in the $500-$700 price range! I cant go farther than that.

Thank you for the help!a
On the processor, I would probably recommend switching to one of the 65watt AMD's. I have the A10-5800K and its a hot beast and a little power hungry. Stock cooler can't keep up. Find one with out the K.

Edit: That being said, it plays and does everything I throw at it including emulation.
You'll enjoy that powerful APU, but you need a bigger Mini-ITX case as this- Silverstone Tek SG06B-USB3.0 Aluminum/SECC SFX 300 W with 80 PLUS certification Power Supply Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case with 2X USB3.0 Front Ports Cases (Black)
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
You can do all of that with an i3 CPU and it will run cooler and use less power. The i3-3225 was last generation's CPU for this. For Haswell it would be the i3-4340. If you like AMD, something in a non-K A8 will also work fine. 100W CPU and mini-ITX (unless it's a large mini-ITX case) don't mix.
I would go for a i5-4460T in that case, 4 cores and 35W TDP.
Thanks for all the great info! I am glad to know that you can run 3D without a dedicated graphics card!

I want to stick with the AMD line as I really like the AsRock motherboard and it only supports the FM2 CPU. The original build I found used the AMD A4-5300 but I read a review that said that the A4-5300 would stutter on H.264 files and recommends the A1-5800K. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6449/holid...rs-guide/3.

How would the AMD A8-6500 do?

As far as a larger case goes I don't really want to go with something that big. I don't have a large media center and need it to be as small as I can.

Thank you again everyone for all the great information! It has been very frustrating trying to find more info on playing 3D movies!
(2014-04-11, 20:31)Deophopbic Wrote: How would the AMD A8-6500 do?
If it is me, I would go with AMD A8-6500 because it is 65W and newer iGPU....

I prefer AMD GPU for madVR and 1080p 23.976fps over other GPU's, and I owns all three major GPU's. When comparing AMD iGPU to Intel iGPU, AMD iGPU is more powerful (especially when comparing CPU in the same price range)....
Fantastic! Thanks bluray! I will put some research into the A8-6500!
I've read that the A8-7600 has been pushed off until 2H2014 Sad
(2014-04-11, 22:39)Deophopbic Wrote: Fantastic! Thanks bluray! I will put some research into the A8-6500!
To keep it run cool and quiet, I'm recommending this "Noctua Low-profile Quiet CPU Cooler for AMD Based Retail Cooling NH-L9A" to go along with it. Since it is low profile, it should fit in Apex MI-008 case....
Ya thanks bluray. I was thinking of using that. I saw it on a completed build on pcpartpicker.com that used the same case, but I decided not to use it to save on money since it was almost $50. But since I am going to be buying the parts one by one over the next few months maybe I will pick it up as well.

Do you have any other good info you could give me on 3D Blu-Rays in HTPCs? I would still like to do some more research.
For the $50 you'd spend on the cooler, you could keep the stock cooler and get a picoPSU to put in that case. That would work much better for keeping it cool. There's also a trick for installing a 120mm fan in that case as well. I think a better PSU would be better money spent, even though the Noctua is a very good recommendation.
(2014-04-12, 06:42)Dougie Fresh Wrote: For the $50 you'd spend on the cooler, you could keep the stock cooler and get a picoPSU to put in that case. That would work much better for keeping it cool. There's also a trick for installing a 120mm fan in that case as well. I think a better PSU would be better money spent, even though the Noctua is a very good recommendation.
I have to disagree with you on this Dougie. The main reason for Noctua CPU cooler is to keep the noise down, and it is more reliable than AMD CPU cooler too. The 250W included in Apex MI-008 is very sufficient and reliable for his build. I own this case for nearly two years before I upgraded my HTPC to a powerful HTPC, and the PSU in MI-008 ran flawless. With the Noctua CPU cooler, he might not need the 120mm case fan either. If he still want to install the 120mm case fan, there is no trick to install it. He can easily snap it in along the right side of the case as shown in my screen shot below. This "SilenX EFX-12-12 120mm Effizio Quiet Case Fan" should be very silent in that case, but I'm suggesting to try without the case fan first....

Thanks bluray! I was thinking about putting a 120mm fan in but decided to just do an 80mm. I saw another build on pcpartpicker that used this pci exhaust fan and thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00552Q7SC/ref=...1WQV08TOOT

So I was gunna put the 80mm on the right side blowing in and the the pci fan on the other side sucking air out creating a nice flow of air going through it.
I would try to use it without any case fan first. If the overall temp stay low without case fan, you don't need any fan other than Noctua CPU cooler. Why add more stuff in the case when you don't need it? It tend to restrict air flow and generate more noises. I wouldn't say 25.24dBA whisper-quiet as their description stated. The larger SilenX I used in MI-008 case is rated at 9dBA, and I still can hear it when getting closer to the case....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC 3D Mini ITX. PLEASE HELP!!!!!0